“great place”

The Union Jack
Ranked #35 of 147 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Maldon, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great place”
Reviewed 27 September 2013

fantastic food cheap nice ,rather extravangement and fun to talk to the girls who work there,great cuppa and breakfast ,clean good views of the shop opposite and people watching

Visited September 2013

Durham, United Kingdom
“You have got to try this cafe”
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Found this gem of a café on a family holiday to the Lake District. The food is excellent and is only bettered by the friendly service. If you like good honest food, cooked to perfection and served with a smile then you have got to try this café. We went as a family of 7 adults and all our food arrived together - well done girls.

1 Thank Allison M
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Good Honest Food”
Reviewed 10 August 2013

I don't often eat out in Kendal as I live there so tend to eat at home but the Union Jack is one of the places I do go for. The food is simple and always seems to be made to order. Prices at aren't had either. On my last visit, I think had a Ham, cheese and pineapple toastie, side of chips and a cup of tea which was about £6.

Its at the south end of Kendal and is a good place to choose with attending events, such as the Mountain Fesitival at the Brewery etc.

Basically its everything you'd want from a good local cafe.

Neath, United Kingdom
“Over Rated”
Reviewed 5 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I popped in for lunch- who could resist a place with so many glowing reviews? Straightaway, we had a difficulty as I am of 'a fuller figure' and the fixed seating didn't allow for someone of my build to sit down. Thankfully, there were two chairs secreted away by the lower level, rear doors, so I was able to be seated. My wife ordered a baked potato with baked beans, while I ordered an all day breakfast. The dishes arrived in good time and were tasty, but certainly not worthy of the rave reviews given by other patrons. I felt that my breakfast, whilst being more than sufficient and flavoursome, was overpriced at £6 and lacked bulk- the two sausages were the thinnest I have ever seen and could have been modelled on a knitting needle, while the one rasher of bacon wallowed delicately in a pool of tomato sauce from the baked beans, a pool that had drowned both the black pudding and the hash brown, reminiscent of a scene from a 1950's horror film. My wife's salad garnish had suffered the same fate, but who doesn't enjoy a plate of lettuce and baked beans?
Would we visit this place again? Yes, but only after checking if there was anywhere better in the vicinity.

Neath, United Kingdom