“Beautiful scenery, shame about the room”

Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful scenery, shame about the room”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Its such a shame that this Days Inn has not been refurbished. It is in an ideal location with room overlooking a beautiful lake and countryside.

The staff we met were all cheerful and friendly, no complaints there. However the room was shabby and in need of attention. The bathroom had so much mould that it actually put us off having a shower, we just had a quick wash instead.
The windows were old and draughty and the mattress was very very soft. The sofa bed in the room (which we didn't use as there were only two of us) was stained and looked as if it should have been replaced a long time ago. I am glad we did not need it.

We bought a voucher for breakfast as the Inn is a service area on the M6. I really wish we hadnt!
The food was absolutely awful and overpriced. We complained and received a free coffee but actually I wish we had just moved on and stopped to eat somewhere else. The hash brown resembled nothing I have seen on a plate before!
If the refurbish this place soon it would be nice to stay again but until then we will avoid it altogether and would advice people not to have breakfast here.
I have rated the value as poor because I am including the breakfast at £7.50 each. Room only value is average

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I'm sorry you were disappointed with your stay. Please be assured we are doing everything we can to resolve the issues you experienced.

I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) and to experience our soon to open McDonalds development in the main amenity building which will replace the restaurant.

Thank you again for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for one night. The room was spacious and the view beautiful. The staff are so friendly and more than willing to help, our sink was slightly blocked and it was sorted within half an hour. I also have to say that for a motorway services the food was lovely. We had dinner and a cooked breakfast and both meals were cooked fresh and tasted really good. I will definately be staying here again :-)

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review and your beautiful pictures. I'm delighted you were so happy with your stay. I do hope you bought the food and drink vouchers at Reception before you went to the restaurant to eat and took advantage of the £10 of food for just £7.50.

I'm so sorry you had a problem with your sink, but thrilled that it was dealt with so promptly. I do hope it didn't spoil your stay. I will pass your lovely comments on to the team.

I do hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon - do keep an eye on our website for upcoming offers! Thanks again for your review.
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My Partner and I stayed at Days Inn Killington Lake on a Friday Night in October. I had phoned ahead to specifically book a room with a view across the Lake. Because of the heavy traffic on the M6 (N) we arrived well after dark and could see no sign of the Lake, nevermind. I had seen from other reviews that there is an access road giving allowing motorists to leave the Service Area and return to the Northbound Carriageway or into Sedburgh about 4 miles away. We could not find this road at all, until the helpful receptionist came out onto the Car Park and actually pointed it out! Thank You! Anyway back to the Hotel, I stay in several Days Inns with my work and they always seem to have exactly the same layout within the room. This was the case but at Killington Lake the room we were in (37) was in desperate need of work. The Sofa was about 40 years old and full of holes, the Bed was far too soft, like a cheap camp bed and without adequate Pillows. Even the Heater which did work sporadically had bits falling off it, the bedroom and bathroom were both awful. I should end with mentioning the view in the morning was stunning, if this Hotel was modernised and a Bar added overlooking the Lake it could be a Goldmine.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lake are preferable.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. We are aware that the hotel is starting to look tired, and we hope to have some refurbishment in the near future.

We do have an access road available to allow guests to travel north from our southbound hotel. I'm sorry if you were unable to find it. Our reception team do offer maps of the car park with the road marked on, and are always more than happy to direct guests in person if this is easier for the guest.

I'm so pleased you were able to enjoy the lake view in the morning. I always feel it looks at it's best first thing. If you book again, please do call the hotel directly to ensure we can allocate you a room with a view.

Thanks again for your review.
Bewdley
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Handy stop on journey south from Scotland. Spacious room & pleasant helpful staff. Bathroom basin cracked & the shower had been dripping for some time which showed a lack of care. Generous checking in & out times.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for your review. I do hope you enjoyed your stay. I'm so pleased you had a room with a lake view - please do contact the hotel directly to ensure we allocate you one of these if you book in the future. I'm sorry for the issues you experienced. Please be assured we are dealing with these.

I do hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) in the future and thank you again for leaving a review.
Nottingham
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This hotel is average for what it offer. The room does have wonderful view of the lake. Room overall fair the sofa/convertible bed has seen better days, dirty, tears and marks on it and dust at the corners of the room and also by the bed side.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are very lucky to have such beautiful views from most of our rooms. If you book again, please do contact the hotel directly so we can allocate you a room with a view.

I'm sorry about the housekeeping issues you experienced. We are currently working to remove and/ or replace many of the sofabeds in the hotel. I hope this didn' t spoil your stay.

I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) in the future. Thanks again for taking the time to leave a review.
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed 2 nights with my family. Super big family room with separate section for my son to sleep in. Comfortable and clean. Lovely views from our window of the lake and despite being on the motorway services very quiet. Most of all super helpful lady at reception.

• Stayed October 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. It sounds like you had one of our large family rooms. If you book to stay in future, please do call the hotel directly so we can allocate you one of these rooms as we only have 2 of this size.

I'm so pleased you found the receptionist so helpful. I will certainly pass on your lovely comments.

I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon - keep an eye on our website for special offers. Thanks again for your review.
Northampton
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Hotel itself was very clean. Reception staff very friendly. Room was large and bright, but bed linen a little sparse, only one very flat pillow per bed.
Despite being next to the motorway the hotel was very quiet.
Would definitely stay again and recommend to friends and family

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are very lucky that we are insulated from most of the motorway noise by a big hill!.

I'm so sorry you were unhappy with our pillows. We put one on each bed in a twin room, but there are always two on the wardrobe shelf behind the bedroom door. We try to put a combination of flatter and fuller pillows in each room to try to meet every guests' preference.

I do hope to welcome you and your family and friends to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon - keep an eye on our website for upcoming offers! Thanks again for your review.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Premier Inn Kendal Central Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
County Hotel
County Hotel
#11 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake? Share your experiences!