“One night at Killington Lake”

Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Sunday night at Days Inn Killington Lake proved satisfactory or a short visit to the Lake District. The Killington service area is unprepossessing but the Days Inn is well sited, overlooking Killington Lake, which is a reservoir serving the Lancaster Canal. Staff were very pleasant and helpful; room was quiet, tidy and generally well-appointed, and there was wifi in the room. My only reservation was the bed, which was rather too soft.

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
KendalDIManager, General Manager at Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are so lucky to have such a beautiful location overlooking the lake. If you book to stay with us again, please do contact the hotel directly so that we can ensure you are allocated a room with a view! I'm sorry you found the bed too soft for your liking, we are aware that our mattresses are on the softer side. I do hope this did not spoil your stay. I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) in the future and thank you again for your review.

There are newer reviews for Days Inn Kendal Killington Lake

Reviewed 31 March 2014

My main quibble with this place concerns the breakfast. I was informed beforehand that breakfast could be bought separately and would cost £7.50. However, on arrival I found out that the 'breakfast' was supplied by Costa in the service station, where the choice was very limited and (as usual with such places) overpriced. I don't know how they arrived at the figure £7.50 and think the description was misleading if not downright dishonest. The hotel is very isolated so this is quite a big drawback

Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Simon H

Thank you for your review. I'm sorry you were so disappointed by breakfast. We did try to contact all our guests prior to their arrival to let them know that our restaurant had closed and had been replaced by McDonald's (which wasn't yet open during your stay) but unfortunately in some instances it was not possible to contact the guest. Further to feedback such as yours, we have now changed our breakfast offer and offer guests' a voucher they can purchase for £7.50 which gives then £10 to spend in Costa Coffee - we hope the "free" £2.50 gives a little added value. I do hope you will visit us again in the future and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 31 March 2014

The hotel is situated a few minutes off the motorway and has some fantastic views of the lake and countryside from its rear windows.

Sadly the view are the best thing about the hotel. When we arrived we were told that the hotel didnt have a restaurant but the service station was open 24 hours. Sadly while we stayed the service station restaurants were closed for a revamp which we were never told about before arrival.

As the hotel is meant for stop overs do not expect anything to kill time. Its simply a hotel you stop and sleep in and leave early the next day. Nothing is near the station at all so do not book if you want to stay in the country and think this hotel is ideal.

Staff on reception rather cold and didnt seem to care there job was to check us in and answer any questions we had.

The rooms are tired and dated and our room smelled a bit. Its a bit sad as the are around is so nice looking and could be made ideal for walkers etc.

Would I stay here again ? I doubt it. I would keep driving to the next big town.

Room Tip: Ask for a room to the rear with the views over the lake.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We did email all our expected arrivals a couple of days prior to their arrival date to let them know that we had building work going on and to explain what options were available. In some instances this was not possible due to an incorrect email address or a third party booking agency being involved. I can only apologise if this was the case. I'm sorry you found the site so isolated. We do try to make it clear that we are on a motorway service area and we are only 5 miles from the nearest village and 8 miles from the nearest larger town. There are also various walks around the site to enjoy the beautiful scenery. I do hope you will change your mind and visit us again in the future. Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

this days inn is on the southbound side of the motorway so you need to find the service road, it looks like the rooms are faceing the lake you could use this inn as a base if needed, we only stayed the night as required

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for your review. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay - albeit brief! Many guests' do choose to use the hotel as a base for touring either the Lake District or the Yorkshire Dales and the access road you mention provides easy access to both these areas and the M6 northbound if you require this during your stay. I do hope to be able to welcome you back for a longer stay in future - please do contact the hotel directly so we can ensure you are allocated a lake view room. Thank you again for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Perfect stopping off point on my long journey from NE Scotland to London. Pleasant welcome from staff, clean and tidy room, very little noise other than guest voices in the corridor. Comfortable bed for a good night's sleep.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm so pleased you were so happy with your stay. We are very lucky to have such a beautiful setting and, despite being so close to the motorway, a location that is so peaceful. I'm so sorry you were disturbed by other guests'. Our team does regular patrols to try to ensure that the noise levels are kept to a minimum. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future and thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

Spent one night in the Days inn Killington Lake on way home.The view of the lake with the morning sun was beautiful.Good stopover for the night not much around but does not take long to reach Kendal,as it was a one night stay over it was fine but needs a bit updating.The staff were friendly and helpful, as it is a road chef it was a bit pricey.all in all it was fine for the night would go again.

Room Tip: Get a lake view room makes all the diffrance
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review. I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay. We are very lucky to be in such a beautiful location and just 8 miles from Kendal. I do hope you were able to take advantage of our access road to make your way to Kendal. If you book to stay again, please do contact the hotel directly so we can ensure you are allocated a lake view room. I do hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake) soon. Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

The lady on reception was cheerful and in general the hotel was clean and tidy. In my bedroom the carpet was a little past it's best and the bathroom needed some attention to repair a broken tile or two and put the odd fitting back on the wall. The worst bit was that the room smelt of cigarette smoke, which a good smoke alarm can put an end to. But it was late and I just fell into bed. There was nobody staffing the reception the next day so I couldn't tell anybody. Never mind.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry you found your room to smell of cigarette smoke. The hotel is entirely non-smoking but unfortunately we do occasionally have a guest who smokes in a room. In this instance we do of course do our utmost to freshen the room before it is re-sold. I can only apologise if on this occasion our efforts did not work. I do hope it didn't spoil your stay and that we can welcome you back to Days Inn Kendal (Killington Lake in the future. Thank you for taking the time to write a review.