“Mostly fine hotel but far, far too expensive”

Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed 1 November 2011

The hotel is mostly lovely, inside and out. It's just worth the climb to the top of the hill, and then the inevitable climb to your room once you check in. Our room had us walking down one long corridor, up a flight or two of stairs, another corridor, more stairs and another two corridors. I think. I'd need a map to be sure.

The view was terrible, especially after all of that. You come to the Lake District for lakes and mountains, not a bushy-fence a few feet away from the window. There was also a dead wasp on the floor when we arrived, and despite housekeeping going in, was still there when we left. Not very thorough at all. The windows were less than clean inside, and filthy out - especially the ledge. I might not like the view, but I'd at least like to be able to see it.

The room was fine but nowhere near worth the money. When paying this much I expect a twin room to have two double beds for a comfortable sleep, most cheaper hotels do, but this hotel has two single beds, which are fine for children, but not for adults paying four/five star prices for a two/three star room. The bathroom however is worth the money and was perfect. I would prefer more towels however, or fresh towels each day.

The staff were all good, especially at breakfast. The host is just fabulous too and very efficient. The breakfast itself was perfect - couldn't find a fault at all.

What I can fault is the keycard (the one we were given to share) which failed. That's highly annoying when your room is a good walk away from reception and you're in a rush. Also it might be an idea not to then have staff take issue with the non-functioning keycard and blame the guest's mobile problem for the fault and offer absolutely no apology.

I feel the price is nearly justified for the staff, but definitely not for the hotel. I was there for a wedding, but I certainly wouldn't return at the price I paid without such an occasion to make it worthwhile. I really do feel that it's overpriced for what it is and where it is. I've stayed in superior hotels, in superior locations for less money, so I don't think value for money is very good at all. I understand there is a captive market for this type of hotel, but I'd be questioning how far that customer base can be pushed before leaving for an alternative, at a more reasonable price. I suspect not that much further. I would have to think long and hard before returning, and even if there was another special occasion, I would most likely stay in another hotel and taxi it in. It would be undoubtedly cheaper, and leave a much better taste in my mouth after the fact.

That's not to say the hotel is bad, it's by no means bad, it's simply not worth the extortionate amounts of money charged for what is, on the whole, a very basic and impractical hotel, with a fair restaurant and some good staff propping it up. Should the better staff leave, and the restaurant go downhill, you may well find that people won't stay for even half the price expected.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to offer feedback regarding your stay with us. We pride ourselves on offering excellent service and surroundings and it is through honest constructive feedback that we are able to improve how we operate.

I would like to apologise regarding your disappointment with your bedroom and the problems with your key card. I have passed your comments regarding the cleanliness of the windows to our Head Housekeeper to action.

We are very fortunate to have owners who continue to invest heavily in the hotel and this is evident in the bathrooms which have been fully refurbished in all 99 bedrooms.

I was pleased to note that you enjoyed aspects of your stay and if you ever consider returning to the Castle Green then please contact me directly where you will be assured of my best attention.

Ben Mayou

Write a ReviewReviews (1,893)

Reviewed 31 October 2011

My Husband and i used this hotel as our "reception" after we got married. We used the gardens for our photographs, which are beautiful and the backdrop was spectacular!! The food in "The Greenhouse Restaurant" was seriously good i mean Michellin star stuff!!! Everyone was amazed by the amazing flavours and presentation and for £25 for 3 courses WE WERE GOBSMACKED never have we had such amazing food at that price!!! We all stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and we were all very impressed, by the cleanliness and features of the rooms, especially loved the tv speakers in the bathroom (executive suite) Would reccomend this hotel to anyone and the staff did everything they could to ensure our stay was perfect!!

Room Tip: The executive suite is lovely
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience of the Castle Green. We are delighted that we were able to share in your special day.

I would agree with your comments regarding the food (although I admit to being slightly biased!) We are very lucky to have such a talented team of chefs headed up by Justin our Executive Chef who produce such quality food at affordable prices.

We look forward to seeing you at the Castle Green again soon!

Reviewed 31 October 2011

Loved this hotel, will definitely be back when in lake district again. No complaints apart from one, being, waiting at bar to be served and had to wait ages after bar man serving wedding guests that came to bar after me, first.

• Stayed: February 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

Stayed one (Saturday) night on dinner, bed & breakfast basis at rate of £176. Double room on ground floor was small, with double bed and en-suite shower only but had a nice view of the garden. Superficially decor was OK in the usual inoffensive style but on closer inspection a little jaded - e.g. mould on ceiling above shower cubicle, badly cracked toilet seat, shabby chairs and worn carpet in one corner. However, general cleanliness of the room, towels and bed-linen were all as they should be. We also liked that you could easily open the windows and control the individual electric radiator provided.

Walls were on the thin side and you could easily hear talking in adjacent room and also substantial noise from corridor as the usual array of thoughtless and "worse for wear" guests returning in the small hours decided to shout their "goodnights" and slam doors (guess this was a by product of the wedding party in that night) after entering their rooms. This was made all the worst as the bed itself is probably the worst I have ever slept on - I seriously thought about relocating to the bath at one point - then I remembered we didn't have one!!

Dinner was also disappointing, which was a shame given that we were shown to a nice table overlooking the gardens, with crisp linen, sparklingly clean tableware and with the lighting just right. The menu(s) were enticing enough and service friendly and efficient which coupled with the amount of other dinners around provided a pleasant atmosphere with just a little "buzz". Reasonable selection on the wine list for reds and whites - rose was a bit lacking, prices I suppose were fair / average for this sort of place.

Problem was the actual food, which was just poor - made even more so as each dish was so painstaking well presented. For instance, a caramelised shallot tart where the pastry was really tasty if a little tough but then ruined by an undercooked and hardly caramelised shallot. Or steak and chips (but given a fancy description in the menu), where the steak was just a little too fatty and where the homemade chunky chips and battered onion rings were so greasy all you could taste was the cooking oil. The final insult was the peanut butter mousse, which was heavy, sickly and had a consistency more like fudge. The accompanying chocolate shordbread fingers were also a disaster being dry and having an overpowering taste of cheap cocoa powder.

Breakfast next morning was much better however. Really good range of juices, fruit, cereals, bread and croissants etc. - nice pot of tea and prompt service with the toast. On the cooked side - it wasn't cooked to order but made available for self service in the kitechen area and this time everything was fine.

So in all, for the money pretty disappointing really. It's a nice enough hotel in a great all year round location and friendly and efficient front of house staff but management need to get a grip on the housekeeping and kitchen issues to justify these prices.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to offer such an in depth review of you recent stay and I would like to offer our sincere apologies regarding your overall experience.

We work tirelessly to obtain the highest level of customer care and satisfaction at all times. Although we are far from perfect it is through honest feedback that we are able to improve our offering.

As a business we invest heavily in the product which makes it even more disappointing that your experience of your bedroom was not upto scratch. We have an ongoing programme of refurbishment which in the last 12 months has included refitting all hotel bathrooms and installing new electric heaters to every bedroom. This winter we will be replacing the bedroom carpets and some soft furnishings in 50 bedrooms to continue our improvements.

We do try hard to minimise the amount of noise from other guests who are on their way to bed by closing internal doors along the main corridor during the night. The majority of our bedrooms are located away from the ground floor and as such are not affected by noise from other guests.

It seems from your comments regarding the food that although it was presented very well that we have failed to execute the delivery of the actual ingredients to the required standard. I have discussed your comments with our Executive Chef and we would like to apologise regarding your experience in the Restaurant.

If you would consider a return trip to the Castle Green in the future I would ask you to contact me directly where I will ensure that we offer you the best possible rate and room.

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 24 October 2011

In July of this year, this hotel provided one of the best experiences of our lives when they acted as the venue for our wedding.

In October of this year, this same hotel provided one of the worst experiences of our lives. I realise that this is different staff, but I have never been left to feel so upset and discriminated against in my life as I did yesterday and I am frankly appalled.

Most of the staff at this hotel are excellent, but a few rotten apples as the saying goes, can upset the whole cart. And for me, the whole cart was upset and then cremated yesterday!!

8  Thank JGDunning
Reviewed 22 October 2011

We stayed for a two night 'luxury' break. £300 for two nights. Room was nice and clean in a modern motel characterless style. Dinner in the main restaurant was very disappointing with fois GRAS more like congealed fat rather than a melt in mouth pate. Bleu steak arrived medium rare and dessert of peanut butter mousse was worst dessert ever tasted, more like a solid pate requiring toast than a light mousse. Complaints fell on deaf ears. The maitre de recommended a portugeuse red at £22 which was cheap tasting and could be bought for £4.50.
We enjoyed the walks and setting and a lovely massage in the spa. Overall overpriced, lacking in service and disappointing. Recommend you get a pastry chef pronto!

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear Guest

I would like to apologise regarding your dining experience at the hotel. We strive constantly to offer excellent food and service and it his hugely disappointing that we have failed to deliver on this occasion.

We treat all feedback very seriously and as such I have discussed your comments regarding the food with Justin, Executive Chef and have asked Joe, Restaurant Manager to source a replacement wine for the list.

If you are ever planning another visit to the Lakes or you would like to discuss your feedback in more detail then please contact me directly and you will be assured of my best attention.

Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 22 October 2011

After a 4 hours drive, we arrived at the hotel at 12.45pm. Check in was rather disappointing as the receptionist without making any eye contact frostily told us [my husband and I] to come back at 2pm when our rooms will be ready. Working in hotels for over 20 years I know that you do get the odd one. And rightly so, from the maids to the waiters were all just so obliging; my favourite being Robert in the restaurant.

Beautiful location, the room was basic but cleaned to a high standard, food okay nothing special. The Spa, well as it was a planned pure indulgent break, I had all the treatment medically and financially possible and it was wonderful, I do not know which of those ladies to commend, Sam, Kelly of Rachel? The spa experience was absolutely fabulous.

I would defiantly go back good value for money

F. Yorwarth
Bath

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
1 mi away
#2 of 13 in Kendal
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#17 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!