“Very good, well run and very friendly”

Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #2 of 15 Hotels in Kendal
Harrogate UK
“Very good, well run and very friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2011

Just spent the weekend there at a conference, Great Food, organisation and very friendly staff. Room was slightly small, but was spotless and well equiped and looked recently refurbished. Great Views as well.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 19 November 2011
Thank you for your kind words. It was a very enjoyable weekend all round and we hope that you will return for a more leisurely break in the future!

Regards

Ben Mayou

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

Hotel staff very friendly & helpful, the restaurant is first class with freshly prepared dishes using locally sourced produce. The breakfast selection is the best I've seen even in 5* hotels.
Rooms comfortable & well equiped only negative is that there are quite a few stairs to climb to most rooms.

1 Thank Dil G
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay.

We pride ourselves on providing friendly efficient service and I am pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We do have one section of the hotel that is only accessible by stairs but 50% of our bedrooms are on the ground floor or can be reached using the lift. If one of these rooms would be more suitable then our Reception team will be very happy to allocate accordingly should you decide to return.

Regards

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

Stayed as a Group following outbound activity in the area. As the organiser of the group I was given a complimentary upgrade to an Executive Room (room 144). It was excellent. Modern, huge room with a huge very comfortable bed and all finished in neutral colours. Complimentary mineral water and fruit bowl. Very modern chocolate brown bathroom with power shower over bath - all recently refurbished.

Staff very good at both check-in and at the restaurant - where the food was also very good. The member of staff I had placed the booking with also took the trouble to come and meet me and wish me a pleasant stay.

All in all there is nothing I could fault - I am also told the fact that it is a mile or so out of the town centre is probably a good thing based on traffic issues in the town.

Room Tip: If you can get a free upgrade or a free upgrade would recommend the Executive Rooms
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank sleep007
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 11 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your experience. Room 144 is a personal favourite of mine!

I will circulate your kind words to the hotel team and we hope that you will consider bringing another group to stay with us again!

Northumberland National Park, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2011

I stayed at this hotel for a night with my husband and three young children. The staff were extremley helpful and very aproachable. They made our stay extremely relaxing and enjoyable, and I would most cetainly recommend this hotel to others. The hotel itself was immaculate ie hotel room, lesuire facilities. The grounds were also fantastic.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank MammyG3
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Orpington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

I chose this hotel for its proximity(6 miles) to the M6,using it as a one-night staging post to and from Scotland.Situated on the right of the B684,having exited on Junction 37,it was easy to find,even in the dark at gone 10 pm.It was an excellent choice in every way.
No worries about our first late arrival.Three staff sorted us out in minutes:a young lady going off duty escorted us to Reception;the young man behind the desk jumped to to sort out the formalities and the Night Porter swiftly arrived to carry in our luggage and show us to our room.Not a minute was wasted. Excellent,as we were very weary.
The room was on the ground floor,close to Reception and the Restaurant - ideal for my disabled partner. It was clean and comfortable,decorated in light wood and autumnal colours. The bathroom was spotless and smart,with really excellent quality towels and good quality toilet-paper.
The self-serve breakfast was excellent. Cooked things were hot.I particularly enjoyed the excellent coffee,the carefully cut pink grapefruit and the superbly creamy scrambled eggs - done badly in most hotels,in my opinion - plus lots more,of course! Ask nicely and the chef will tell you the simple secret ingredient which makes the scrambled eggs so good..

Our return visit was a similarly good experience. Once again,we arrived dreadfully late.After a fall in Scotland,my partner had been released from hospital in the afternoon and the drive from Scotland had proved gruelling for us both. On arrival the hotel was very packed with wedding guests,a birthday party and other functions. The staff could have been forgiven for a perfunctory welcome,given the pressure they had been under for hours. We received a super,warm ,kind welcome at Reception.Once again,without delay I was shown the room,bags were collected from the car and brought in.Noticing how exhausted I looked, the Receptionist arranged for complimentary tea to be waiter-delivered to the room,whicharrived just as we both got into the room.

Breakfast lived up to my expectations again. I was particularly impressed with the excellent service from cheerful young waiters and how they gave individual help to my partner who needs to walk with a zimmer..

We genuinely regretted that we arrived too late to eat in the restaurant,which is apparently good.

This is a sizable,busy hotel,part of the Best Western Group . However,what is evident is that it has warmth and'heart', and the clients and their individual needs really are the centre of the focus of all staff at all times,something which is not always achieved ,even in much smaller establishments or privately owned hotels This client-centred philosophy ,which has clearly been inculcated into all staff, obviously comes from the top,so although I don't think I knowingly saw the Manager,the evidence of his good management is all around.So,well done Mr. Manager and please convey congratulations to all the staff. Their efforts are noticed and appreciated.

Room Tip: Specify what you want and I believe the staff will try to meet your request if possible.
1 Thank furbysmum
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 9 November 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comprehensive review of the hotel and service.

We are very proud of the customer service that we deliver here at the Castle Green. I am delighted that you have taken the time to share your experiences with others and I will ensure that your kind words are circulated to all the hotel team.

We look forward to welcoming you on you next visit.

Norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

We have used this hotel a few times now and each time we've had a good stay. The hotel is situated in lovely grounds and is a notch above the usual chain hotel standards. The rooms are basic but clean with really good showers (really important in my opinion). Customer service is good and the hotel always seems busy with weddings, functions and coach trips whenever we have stayed. The best thing to say about this hotel is the restaurant food and service. There's always an excellent menu with good choice and fine dining standards. The service to good and we recognised the restaurant manager from when we stayed a few years ago, so consistency in staff is clearly reflected in the excellent service we received. Will definitely stay again.

Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your most recent visit.

We have a very loyal team here at the hotel. In fact our ‘Five Year Club’ had their annual dinner this evening. It was attended by 45 staff who between then have notched up 396 years service at the Castle Green Hotel!! There is no doubt that this consistency is a major factor for the service delivery in all departments.

Hope to see you staying with us again soon

Oldham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

The staff were so obliging. When I tore a fingernail Samantha in the GreenRoom repaired it and didn't charge me; the nail is still O.K. When we arrived home I realised that I had lost a gold ear ring and the lady on reception went to my room and found it under the bed, she posted it to me. Small events in the greater scheme of things but worth reporting. Well done Castle Green and thanks for a lovely stay.

Room Tip: Try for one close to reception if you don't want a long walk.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind words. We have a fantastic team here at the hotel who work tirelessly to offer the best possible service. I will pass on your thanks to those concerned and we hope you will make a return visit to the hotel in the future.

Ben Mayou
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,236 reviews
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
#6 of 11 in Penrith

Been to Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!