“Proud to have this great hotel on my doorstep”

Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed 19 December 2012

We have recently attended one of Castle Green Hotels festive party night. What a treat!!
From booking, through to the follow up phone call to see if everything had been all right for us, was first class.A nice touch was Santa Claus welcoming us as we arrived, and wow what staff. They were attentive, courteous and friendly and everything was run like clockwork. The food was plentiful,extremely nice,and served hot.The disco and band ( The Picasso Brothers) played good music from different eras and I have never seen people get up so quickly to dance!!!
Well done Castle Green Hotel. How lucky am I to live in Kendal and have this superb hotel on my doorstep. Will we recommend it....you bet we will. Will we be back......thats a promise.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2012

Many thanks for your review regarding your party night with us.

It is a real team effort to bring together all aspects of such evenings. We pride ourselves on offering the best party nights in Kendal and your feedback seems to support this.

We hope to have the dates and bands organised for December 2013 early in the New Year so keep a close eye on the hotel website for more information. We also have events planned during next year for the people of Kendal, our Summer party night in July with the Mustard Cutters to name one!

There are newer reviews for Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed 17 December 2012

I've stayed a few times at the castle green and each time I have really enjoyed my stay the staff are always helpful.
The offers on there website like Spice up your Sundays are brilliant! I would definitely recommend going into the Greenhouse Restaurant and have the Cumbrian tasting menu its the best Cumbria has to offer and as a true Cumbrian it hits the mark well! On the Spice up your Sundays you get to use there leisure facility's which is worth the money as well as the pool is a lovely way to relax.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

The Spice up your Sunday offer is probably the best value promotion we run here at the hotel. Dinner, Bed and Breakfast for £112. If you are looking for something really special you can choose dinner in the Greenhouse Restaurant or alternatively you could opt for Alexanders Pub within the hotel grounds which offers more traditional choices. Either way you will have a fantastic dining experience.

The really good news is that we are offering SPICE UP YOUR JANUARY. Stay any night in January for £112 DBB. Get yourself onto our hotel website to book your room!!!!

Reviewed 15 December 2012

My partner and I stayed here to attend my company's Christmas Party. I would echo what others have said about the staff at this hotel - absolutely fantastic! All the staff- restaurant and reception, cleaners, function room waiters, spa, were all so friendly and helpful. A real asset to the company. We were made to feel so welcome, thankyou!
The room was spacious clean and well-equiped (hairdryer, tea, coffee chocolate, biscuits, iron and ironing board). The hotel is built on a hillside and we had to go outside and down 2 flights of steps to get to the function room where our party was held (just a word of warning to anyone with mobility problems).
The breaskfast was lovely, with a fruit buffet in addition to the full English and other options available from the menu. The only thing that could be improved were the croissants which were rock hard on each morning!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends

Many thanks for your positive review. We have just completed our programme of Christmas party nights for 2012. Serving four thousand festive meals during December, a good time was had by all!

I have passed your feedback regarding the croissants to the kitchen team to see where things have gone wrong.

Best wishes for Christmas and the New Year from all the team

Reviewed 12 December 2012

We last stayed here around five years ago, prior to going to live in Greece for four years. We had very fond memories, not least of their outstanding restaurant, so booked for a three night pre-Xmas break with great optimism. Was it as good as five years ago? No - it was better! This place is an absolute gem - the staff are wonderful and couldn't be more friendly, cheerful or helpful. We were given a fantastic room, in which we could easily have accommodated twenty or more friends if we had that many. The hotel has a good little leisure centre, with gym and pool as well as a spa, it sits in lovely grounds above Kendal (and we were blessed with superb weather throughout our stay, giving us cold but sunny days in which to enjoy Kendal and the Lakes), has a great, cosy bar complete with real fire, newspapers are supplied for guests enjoyment in the bar and lounge areas and all in all, it's a really comfortable, relaxing place to stay. I mentioned earlier that they used to have outstanding food; we went thinking that we might eat in their restaurant one night, in the pub in the grounds on the second and in town the third. The first meal made it no contest and we stayed in all three nights. Head chef Justin Woods offers a range of menus, but we opted each of the three nights for the daily three course (four options for each course) table d'hote menu, which also includes coffee and chocolates. Woods' food is superb, the restaurant staff are excellent and we dined in style. I must make mention, also, of the breakfast chefs and restaurant staff, because they're all excellent, too. The hotel offers a very good, varied buffet of hot and cold items and 'to order' dishes including smoked haddock with poached egg, kippers and porridge with cream. I tried really hard to find a fault at the Castle Green and eventually I found one: the 'guest services' folder in our room contained a couple of spelling errors.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

I am delighted to read that we managed to exceed your expectations. We are very fortunate to have Justin heading up our team of talented chefs. I challenge anybody to find a restaurant which has been awarded 2 rosettes offering a three course meal plus tea/coffee for just £26 per person. I genuinely don’t know how they do it!

Make sure you don’t leave it five years until you visit again!!

Reviewed 9 December 2012

We stayed here with family for the second time.
From our initial greeting to check out we really couldn't fault this hotel.
Every member of staff is extremely friendly and helpful without being false or gushing.
We experienced the health club, pool and spa. Each facility was excellent from the atmosphere and furnishings to the staff.
We ate in Alexander's. Again, the staff went out of their way to make the experience memorable. They took time to listen to our requirements and the service was first class, as was the food. Our daughter was particularly impressed to be given a choice of Christmas hats to wear!
Buffet breakfast was spot on with a good selection of options. I was particularly pleased to see that they use decent quality sausages (one of my pet hates - cheap sausages at breakfast!).
Good value to boot.
I stay in hotels all over the country every week, and this is one of the best.
Will most definitely return soon.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

It is always great to hear that we are getting it right. Even more so from somebody who experiences hotels all the time!

Have a fantastic Christmas

Reviewed 9 December 2012

I've just returned from an overnight stay to celebrate my parent's 40th Wedding Anniversary, it was booked by my mum for 8 of us ( 4 couples). We travelled from Manchester, the rest from Glasgow. Hotel very east to find from the motorway, and although we arrived at 1pm, 3 of the rooms were ready and we checked in. The other room was ready for 3pm so not a problem. Our room was on the 2nd floor, facing over the gardens of the hotel and had lovely views over Kendal, we also had a balcony which was lovely. The room was very clean, tidy and a decent size, with tea, coffee facilites, free wifi, tv etc. The bathroom although a bit small is perfectly formed with a shower cubicle ( which I prefer) and lovely and clean. Once checked in, we headed to Alexanders pub which was very quiet but had a lovely table, few drinks and a bit of lunch. Food was excellent and the staff very friendly and helpful, we tried to book a table for a meal at night but it was already full. We also drank in the hotel bar which had a lovely real fire, again, staff were excellent and very helpful. We booked a table in the Green Restaurant for dinner at 8.30pm. I have to say the Menu choice is ok, classed as fine dining so if you like Masterchef, then this is the place for you. We chose from the 2 courses for £21, we were also served an appetiser by the chef which was very nice, salmon mousse. My meal of Trout pate & Rib eye steak with thyme mash was very nice indeed although the steak wasn't as rare as i would have liked, but it was very tasty anyway. My dad did send his back as it was not hot enough but again the waitress was more than happy to have it heated more. There just wasn't much put on the plate but i guess we are more used to the pub grub type of food. The Hotel was very busy as there were Xmas functions on but We were still able to sit in the bar etc and have a good laugh. The restaurant even let us have small plates and a knife to cut my parent's anniversary cake which we had in the bar. We didn't try the spa or gym facilities as not really there long enough but i would if & when we go back. Breakfast the next morning was lovely and although busy, there was no shortage of hot food available, both the sausage and blackpudding were lovely but again, i can't fault any of the offerings for breakfast. The staff were excellent and always happy to help.

I will certainly consider going back to this hotel, it's a lovely location and a halfway point between myself and family so i can see a few more nights being booked here in the future.

Room Tip: My parent's had room 200 which was huge with 2 double beds, a lovely couch and a large bathroom...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your comprehensive review. We are an ideal stop off point whether travelling north or south!

We hope to see you again in the New Year

Reviewed 22 November 2012

I stayed here for work for one night - and am reviewing this because I'd like the management to know how great their staff are. The bathrooms look as though they've recently been refurbished, but the bedroom I had was a bit tired and musty.

But while I wasn't overwhelmed by the accommodation, I was blown away by the attitude of the staff. I arrived late, so reception staff quickly checked whether I'd eaten and then rang the pub on-site to let them know I'd be arriving for a late supper.

In the morning I was greeted by one of the most cheerful, attentive waitresses ever - she made every guest feel welcome and special and was worth her weight in gold.

Staff here provided an excellent start to the day.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2012

We do have an ongoing programme of refurbishment which has seen all 99 bathrooms fully refurbished in the last 2 years. We have plans to redecorate a number of bedrooms during the winter months and will also be carrying out many more improvements.

I am delighted that the team looked after you so well. I would be a rich man if I could bottle the enthusiasm shown by Leona our Breakfast Supervisor even at 6am in the morning!!

Ben Mayou

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
#18 of 20 in Windermere
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!