“Beyond Expectations”

Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Beyond Expectations”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Booked room directly with the hotel, after Best Western messed up a booking in October 2012. In my previous review I was critical of Best Western, not the hotel. After staying this weekend, to be honest, all I can say is that the Castle Green is fantastic. The staff, right across the board are brilliant, courteous and helpful. The location is nothing but stunning on a hill overlooking Kendal and onward to the lakes. The grounds are beautifully kept. I was pleasantly surprised at the bar prices on par with city centre pub prices. I have stayed in hotels of the same grade where prices have been 50% plus for drinks. The rooms are lovely, good space for a standard room, comfortable beds, tastefully decorated, and spotlessly clean. We ate in the Greenhouse Restaurant, which, all I can say is amazing. Firstly, there are three menus, the tasting menu, the normal restaurant menu and a set menu, which makes the choice astounding. Also, you can mix and match from all three. Our meal was beautiful, well cooked, visually stunning and tasted amazing. Breakfast was great. Plenty of choice, and as with dinner all locally sourced produce.
I can understand why Ben, replies to all negative comments on here, because i cannot find fault with the Castle Green. He obviously takes great pride in the hotel and rightly so. We were so impressed by the Castle Green we have decided to book for a celebration birthday next year. I can't wait to get back there.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank John T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (470)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This is a great hotel. Staff are very friendly. Food in restaurant very nice.Breakfast was s uperb. Room nice and comfortable. Shower amazing. Arrived at hotel 4 hours early and got key to room right away. great location.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Rugby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The 6th Christmas we have spent at this hotel!!
A great location overlooking the town of Kendall
The staff are very friendly and helpful
The food is excellent
Pool and steam room very good
The town is well worth a visit don't miss the shopping center at the bottom of the hill below the hotel, especially if you need some shoes.
Everyone we met in the town were very friendly

Room Tip: Try to get a front room as opposed to one overlooking the woods you will the have a lovely view over...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Many thanks for posting our 500th Trip Advisor review!!

I know it seems crazy to be talking about Christmas in April……however we have just printed our 2013 festive brochure!! Details of all the packages on offer can soon be found on the hotel website. Book early for your Christmas or New Year break with us as they will fill up fast!

Ben Mayou
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I stayed at this hotel Easter Sunday as I was attending a wedding there. I was greeted by the lovely reception staff and was able to check in 1 hour 30mins early as my room was ready. My mum stayed the night before and asked if it was possible could they have the room ready earlier as check in was at 3pm on a Sunday and the wedding started at 2.30pm so wanted to get changed and settled in.
When I got to my room I was very pleased, it was lovely and clean and well decorated (room 159), everything you needed was there.
I then attend the wedding which was really nice, a lovely location and was well organized. The three course meal was gorgeous and the night went really well. Would actually choose this place for my own wedding whenever that maybe.

Had a really good sleep in the massive double bed with nice big fluffy pillows and cosy duvet. Had a lovely shower to start the day, then on to buffet breakfast. We sat next to the window over looking the lovely views. The food was gorgeous and mini danish's beautiful.

Overall I am very pleased with my stay, the food and staff all amazing Thank-you .....

• Stayed March 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 April 2013

This is a lovely hotel in a great location. The staff were friendly and attentive. The bedroom and bathroom were spotlessly clean and the room was a great size, more than enough to accommodate us and the travel cot we had for the little one. The Pulse health club is nice and has designated times for children's swimming where they provide floats and toys. Our 15 month old had a fantastic time and the staff really made a fuss of him. The restaurant was superb, the food was fantastic and I have absolutely no complaints about the service. All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have the view, rooms at the back don't but are nice and quiet.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2013

We are regular visitors to the Lakes but had recieved a travel ticket for Best Western for a retirement present so decided to linger in Kendal at Castle Green for the night. Without exception, every member of staff went out of their way to make sure we were ok. I wondered if they had all been to charm school! the young men who served our dinner were wonderful and very knowledgeable about the food and wine. Nothing was too much trouble for them! The 5+5 dinner was outstanding food- not surprising since the food is all locally sourced and cooked by an award winning chef! Well done to all- they could teach customer service skills to several places I could mention!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Many thanks for your review, we always get a big smile when we read that all the hard work is appreciated by our guests.

We look forward to seeing you again ;-)

Ben Mayou
Hale, Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I stayed here recently for a conference and it was an excellent experience. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, who were pleasant and helpful in every department. The quality of the food was superb and the room was comfortable, the bar and leisure facilities were excellent too. I would definitely recommend this hotel, for work or leisure. I will definitely be booking in again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view or you may be overlooking a back yard
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharon M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!