We used this as a mid point stopover between the Highlands and our destination in the south, it's a fantastic location and I'm pleased we arrived in good time to appreciate the magnificent surroundings in daylight. Parking on a weekend evening near the hotel reception was scarce but we unloaded the car and moved it to the part filled car park further down the driveway, no problem.
The staff on reception were very welcoming and affable, a late checkout was requested to allow us a few hours cycling the following day before continuing our onward journey south, we rode a pleasant loop before lunch up to Windermere, over Kirkstone Pass, alongside Ullswater to Lowther Castle then over Shap and back to Kendal, a beautiful if challenging route given the rain, hail and winds we experienced over the tops!
The rooms (151) are comfortable and roomy with recently refitted modern bathrooms, the settings on the shower controls aren't immediately obvious but I soon found them, it's almost as if they were designed to be approached front on yet are fitted side on which means you can't see them from outside the cubicle, maybe a small graphic adjacent to the taps would help?
Breakfast was served in the Green room which overlooks Kendal and the hotel grounds, there is a self service buffet, additional cook to order choices plus the usual cereal/toast/fruit options, a nice touch was the pre-prepared glasses of fresh and dried fruits served with yoghurt and a selection of compotes, a good idea.
I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and after staying at 5 hotels in the previous week would rate this as the best, after the week away working it was much appreciated.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Independent, family-run four star hotel situated in 14 acres of gardens & woodland, 5 miles from the M6 & 8 miles from Windermere. Extensive conference & banqueting facilities, recently refurbished 2AA Rosette restaurant, Westmorland Pub in the grounds, health & fitness club and 99 bedrooms including four executive, seven balcony and three family rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Kendal
- Hotel Castle Green Kendal
- Kendal Best Western
- Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection Lake District