“Comfortable and accommodating”

Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
“Comfortable and accommodating”
Reviewed 14 May 2013

We used this as a mid point stopover between the Highlands and our destination in the south, it's a fantastic location and I'm pleased we arrived in good time to appreciate the magnificent surroundings in daylight. Parking on a weekend evening near the hotel reception was scarce but we unloaded the car and moved it to the part filled car park further down the driveway, no problem.

The staff on reception were very welcoming and affable, a late checkout was requested to allow us a few hours cycling the following day before continuing our onward journey south, we rode a pleasant loop before lunch up to Windermere, over Kirkstone Pass, alongside Ullswater to Lowther Castle then over Shap and back to Kendal, a beautiful if challenging route given the rain, hail and winds we experienced over the tops!

The rooms (151) are comfortable and roomy with recently refitted modern bathrooms, the settings on the shower controls aren't immediately obvious but I soon found them, it's almost as if they were designed to be approached front on yet are fitted side on which means you can't see them from outside the cubicle, maybe a small graphic adjacent to the taps would help?

Breakfast was served in the Green room which overlooks Kendal and the hotel grounds, there is a self service buffet, additional cook to order choices plus the usual cereal/toast/fruit options, a nice touch was the pre-prepared glasses of fresh and dried fruits served with yoghurt and a selection of compotes, a good idea.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and after staying at 5 hotels in the previous week would rate this as the best, after the week away working it was much appreciated.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Aikone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds
Reviewed 14 May 2013

Stayed here on a Saturday night as part of a Stag do of 12. I found reception to be friendly and helpful and the lady behind the hotel bar was a lovely person. Location of the hotel is great and its a very nice place to stay. I agree with a previous review regarding charging for a newspaper - I don't recall ever having to pay for a newspaper previously at a top hotel? Its not the expense its just a nice gesture to provide a complimentary newspaper. Also I felt parking is tight at the hotel - I do drive a larger than average vehicle but still shouldn't be worried as a guest that my vehicle may get damaged in the car park (it wasnt damaged). I enjoyed watching the FA cup final in the hotel pub. Didn't use any of the hotel spa facilities as I didn't have time but friends said they were very good. My room was nice, shower was great, and bed comfy. In the morning there was a table available straight away for breakfast, I enjoyed the big selection of food items. I'd like to come back to this hotel with my Wife as I know she would enjoy it. I would be happy to recommend this hotel to others.

Henley-in-Arden, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I have to say that we had a terrific stay at this hotel from entering and leaving it. The receptionist was so helpful and friendly and although our room 166 was a long walk it was worth it as the room was lovely with all the amenities you could wish for. We also dined in the greenhouse restaurant which again was a wonderful dining experience coupled with very friendly staff. The breakfast choice was immense and yet again the staff serving we're so helpful and courteous. We will definitely be back and I would recommend it to anyone as a perfect stop and we wish we had more time to stay longer. One thing I would say which is only a small thing but the ramp in the car park at the very top is a bit too high as it marked the car underneath when leaving so be aware.

Room Tip: See review
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2013

We stayed one night for our wedding anniversary. There were a few niggles but nonetheless had an enjoyable stay.
Firstly, It would have been nice to have been greeted by a more welcoming receptionist, although polite we found her a little cold in her manner. The rest of the staff (especially the younger ones) were more than helpful though.
The room was clean ( apart from a water damaged menu and the complimentary tea/coffee had obviously been left from the previous guests as they were stained), but felt it was overpriced for what we paid - the bathroom was nice with a powerful shower but the room itself looked a bit soulless - maybe a few more pictures on the wall would remedy that?
On the upside we were very impressed with the meal from the a la carte menu and would love to dine there again, breakfast was impressive too with so much to choose from.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 11 May 2013
Thank you for your review.

It is hugely disappointing to read that we failed to deliver on every aspect of your stay with us. I would like to apologise regarding the welcome you received as this is not the Castle Green way. We pride ourselves on offering excellent hospitality and friendly service however this was clearly not apparent when you arrived at the hotel. I have referred your comments regarding this and the bedroom to our Front of House Manager to address with her team.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our food offering and overall service and I hope that you will decide to stay with us again in the future. Please contact me directly at the hotel should you have dates in mind and I will personally take care of your needs.

Ben Mayou
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2013

I recently stayed here with friends and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!
The building itself is stunning and located in a truly picturesque location. We did not dine in the restaurant but we did have a nice, relaxing lunch in Alexander's pub.
The leisure facilities were also well equiped, the only thing that slightly let the hotel down was the bedrooms which are a little dated however they were clean and comfortable so no complaints.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Many thanks for your ‘Excellent’ review!

We do have a rolling programme of refurbishment for the whole building. We have replaced the bathrooms in all 99 bedrooms in the last two years and the majority of our bedrooms are now decorated in a more modern contemporary style. I am pleased to report that we are working very hard to get all the bedrooms to the same standard.

Hope to see you again soon!

Ben Mayou
Huddersfield
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here on Friday 3rd May for my wedding evening and was really happy with my stay. Receptionists were very friendly and the waiters/waitresses were very good and gave good advice too. Room was very comfortable and had a fantastic big bed which i was happy to see after a busy day. Beautiful gardens and surroundings too which we had a walk around. The restaurant in the hotel was a little bit special and compliments to the chefs as dinner was amazing!

A*

Room Tip: 160 was decent
St Helens, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

Came here for honeymoon, hotel is very clean and staff are very helpful great customer service.

Had food in the resturant and was very happy. Every thing from the taster menu was loverly. Breakfast was also great.

4th time here and I deffo want to come back.

• Stayed May 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!