I have stayed at this hotel several times in the past and stayed there with several friends on the 30/06/2013 having highly recommending it.
Reception staff were very welcoming and helpful as usual nothing is ever to much trouble.
Room service was prompt and served with a smile.
We had afternoon tea which was lovely served by attentive staff and our tea/coffee was hot and plentiful.
After a swim and sauna we went down for dinner and met disarray in the dining room, the manager appeared to be at odds with every member of staff who as far as we could see were their usual attentive selves (one of the things I love about Castle Green) we waited 1.5 hours for our starters and had to ask several times for drinks and bread (no tapanade:(() the manager was quite patronizing when we requested house wine informing us that "we do not serve house wine if you would like to look at the wine menu".
We could also hear the manager reprimanding staff which is not nice to hear especially as they were all working so hard, this I might add did not effect the friendliness of the staff although it can not be a nice atmosphere to work under.
As it was we were not the only table to complain I believe there were several others after discussions with other guests.
On a positive note the food was wonderful and as usual the breakfast buffet had as usual everything you could wish for with no wait for poached eggs of the menu the service was top notch.
I was contacted by the hotel manager the very next day with apologies and an offer of compensation.
All in all this experience will not stop me from booking again I think the Castle Green is excellent value for money and the staff are what makes the stay even more enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Independent, family-run four star hotel situated in 14 acres of gardens & woodland, 5 miles from the M6 & 8 miles from Windermere. Extensive conference & banqueting facilities, recently refurbished 2AA Rosette restaurant, Westmorland Pub in the grounds, health & fitness club and 99 bedrooms including four executive, seven balcony and three family rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Kendal
- Hotel Castle Green Kendal
- Kendal Best Western
- Castle Green Hotel In Kendal, BW Premier Collection Lake District