Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Castle Green Hotel for one night as part of our weekend break to the lakes. We upgraded to a balcony room which was lovely. The pool and gym facilities were brilliant and the views were amazing! The only thing that let the hotel down was the breakfast in the morning. The restaurant was lovely but the food wasn't of the standard we expected for the price paid there was shell pieces in the fried egg and pieces of gristle and none in the bacon. We usually opt for a breakfast in a cafe on the way home but decided to have breakfast In the hotel on this occasion which unfortunately was a bad choice. Thank you. We may be back but we would not have breakfast this time round.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NatalieLee1
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Thank you for your review. It was great to read that you enjoyed staying in one of our recently refurbished Balcony rooms, they are certainly proving very popular!
My apologies for your disappointment with our breakfast offering. We served in excess of 4,500 breakfasts during June and the challenge when dealing with such volume is to achieve consistency. I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you will give us another chance next time you are visiting the Lakes

There are newer reviews for Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Having just returned from a three day stay at the Castle Green, with a party of 36, I can only sing their praises !!

The rooms very comfortable and very clean, excellent bathrooms and most rooms had lovely views. The breakfasts were outstanding, so much choice and such good quality.

Evening meals for a group of 36, I would have expected to be a challenge, but they took it in their stride....good choice and excellent, tasty, well presented food.
Nothing was too much bother for the staff, we even asked them to supply 36 packed lunches one day and we all received our lunches in a paper carrier with our names on them!

All staff seemed to be from the local area and were very pleasant and helpful.

The test of a good hotel is when asked if you would go back, I believe that everyone in our party would say yes!.

The hotel helped to make our few days away rather special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a few over the gardens !!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

What a lovely review. We are ideally placed as a base from which to explore the Lakes with many groups booked to stay with us this summer!

Ben Mayou

Ps. Fingers crossed for sunshine!!!!

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We have just returned from 3 night stay at this hotel. We booked an executive room which was very spacious with amazing views across the country side. The room was kept spotless by the very helpful cleaning team. All the staff were friendly and helpful. We ate twice in the pub in the grounds of the hotel, it's next to the hotel down 26 steps. We enjoyed both meals. The staff were attentive and efficient. We ate once in the restaurant and were disappointed particularly the service. Once seated we were given menus but not asked if we wanted a drink nor were we asked during the meal if everything was ok both of these are usual practice in most restaurants. We struggled to attract anyone's attention to ask for drinks/condiments. The menu is limited and we appreciate this is because fresh ingredients are used but there was only one main course that appealed and none of the sweets.

The other negative was the cost of the wine. You expect to pay more in a hotel but the wine started at twenty pounds a bottle in the pub. It would be nice to have a cheaper option for those of us are not wine experts.

I used the gym a couple of times and although not large had all the equipment needed for a

workout. We are pleased to note that safes are to be installed as this was a concern or us

Overall we had a lovely few days and would return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrades with a view to the front of the hotel are well worth it.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your positive comments regarding your Executive room, cleanliness and the friendly helpful staff.

It is highly unusual to receive such disappointing comments regarding Restaurant service and as such I have referred your comments to Joel our Restaurant Manager to investigate. Fifty percent of the red and white wines on our Pub list are priced at less than £20 per bottle.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Castle Green in the future.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights as part of a tour group, and was generally very pleased with the facilities. My room faced the rear of the hotel, so I looked out onto a grassy bank with tall trees - quite rural! It had plenty storage space, including a good number of hangers in the wardrobe, and the bathroom, while fairly compact, was well-laid out and I was glad to see the walk-in shower also had a hand-grip for those of us who are less mobile. The bed was extremely comfortable, and when I asked for a top-sheet (I don't like heavy duvets) there was no problem in providing one. There was a well-stocked tea-tray and the lighting was good.

The dining room has a beautiful aspect over Kendal towards the hills, and the food was good as well! Breakfast is largely buffet style, though tea/coffee and toast are brought to the table. There is a good choice of items, both hot and cold, available. I can't comment on the dinner menu, as we had our own small separate menu to choose from - all fine, and any extra requests were provided for. Special thanks to the manager Chris, for all his good humour!

Indeed, I found all the staff to be extremely helpful and pleasant - they really are a credit to the hotel. Let's not forget the beautiful gardens which are a pleasure to wander in.

So why have I not given it an 'excellent' rating? Unfortunately, while my room was very nice in itself, it was the first one on the corridor next to Reception. On our last night, I was woken at 1 o'clock by what I presume was a staff member on his break up behind my room, in a private area, having a loud conversation on his phone. Having closed my window and gone back to sleep, I was then woken an hour later by two men discussing their future business plans right outside my door. (I had the 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door handle, by the way!) After a few minutes I got up and asked them to go elsewhere, but for the next 40 minutes or so a number of guests seemed to find my door a magnet for their parting conversations. I accept that the hotel cannot be responsible for people's inconsiderate behaviour, but I do wonder if a notice could be affixed to the fire doors between reception and the corridor reminding guests that other people will be sleeping and to keep the noise down. Alternatively ask for a room as far away from reception as possible!

Despite that particular grumble, I would have no hesitation in staying here again - in a different room!

Room Tip: As far away from reception as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Ben M, General Manager at Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Many thanks for your comprehensive review.

Please accept our apologies for the disturbance caused on your last night. I have passed these comments to our Nights Manager to address with his team. We look forward to hopefully seeing you again in the future

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed for two nights to celebrate our wediing anniversary. The gardens here are immaculate and a pleasure to walk around. The standard room was fine although a little on the small side with limited storage space. The breakfast was very good. All of the staff here were excellent and very helpful. Didn't get a chance to use the gym or pool but they looked impressive. Hotels in the Lake District are expensive and this one was no exception, however I would recommend it especially if you can afford an executive room.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your very honest review. We do have more spacious rooms available in addition to our four Executive rooms. We always recommend booking directly with us so our reception team can discuss room preferences with you. Our prices do fluctuate based upon many factors but on the whole we offer excellent value when compared to the other four star hotels in and around the Lakes.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights. Our room had a balcony with a beautiful view. The room was well equipped, modern and very clean with a lovely shower room.
The location is very relaxing and the grounds of the hotel are lovely.
Breakfast was excellent, with well trained staff.
Would definately recommend this hotel and will stay here again. It is a credit to Best Western in my opinion.

• Stayed: June 2014

Thank you for your review. Our recently refurbished Balcony rooms are very popular and well worth the upgrade of £30 per night.

We are very proud to currently be ranked 10th out of the 280 Best Western hotels in the UK. This is based upon the reviews of guests who have stayed with us during the last 12 months.

Ben Mayou

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
#18 of 20 in Windermere
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness

Been to Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection? Share your experiences!