“Sorry to have to give it a poor rating. Not worth £10 for two of us...”

Museum of Lakeland Life & Industry
Ranked #7 of 45 things to do in Kendal
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Immerse yourself in Lake District History at the Museum of Lakeland Life and Industry. Inside you can explore a typical Victorian farmers home from the food in the kitchen, to the elegance of the parlour. Other galleries tell the story of the Arts and Crafts movement, and the industrial history of this beautiful part of the world. Here you can discover the Lake District’s past in farming, mining, tanning, and many other ways that people have made a living amongst the fells. The Museum allows you to discover how people have lived in the Lake District and how the unique landscape has shaped their lives. You can also find out about Arthur Ransome, one of the Lake District’s most famous authors, and colourful characters. And why not stroll down the Victorian high street before you go to find out about the toys, food, and even medicines of the past. The Museum of Lakeland life is a must see for anyone interested in the history of this beautiful area, and with changing exhibitions looking at all aspects of Lakeland Life there will always be something new to discover.
Useful Information: Stairs / lift, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Arrived and the woman in the shop, where you purchase the tickets from, was on the phone. So we looked around the small, unimpressive shop, then went back to the till. The woman then told us she was on the phone to someone catching up about the weekend. Good customer service!

The museum was small, with the odd interesting thing to see. Apparently the ticket allows you 12 months free entry if you complete the gift aid, we were never asked by the woman in the shop, (probably wanted to get back to her phone call. Must be good to be paid to natter all day)! Also they probably say that to encourage customers, but don't have to worry because people will not return anyway.

Needless to say we won't be returning.

1  Thank SLeeH

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I really loved this museum, I didnt have a clue what to expect when I visited as I was taken by someone else who had previously been, but I was very pleasantly suprised! My favourate part was the old street and the Victorian bedroom! They were both set up as if it was real life and the fact you could walk in and out some of the shops on the street made it interesting. I am 20 years old and I know museums struggle to get people my age into them and although I was taken into the place by someone else, I believe the museum is definately worth a visit and I would go back again!

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We visited this as a couple who are both interested in history and while it was very interesting to us, I can imagine that children would be less inspired. As another reviewer has stated, it is begging for some interactive things to really bring it to life.

Reviewed 5 May 2014

I hadn't visited this museum before, although I'd been to Kendal many times. It has hidden treasures, all very informative and evocative of Lakeland life. This includes a wonderful street of reconstructed old shops, plus a great selection of Keswick School of Industrial Arts furniture. Also an exhibition about Kendal Mint Cake being taken up Everest by Hillary and Tensing, and on most of the polar expeditions - very inspiring.

1  Thank scenery-addict
Reviewed 27 March 2014

Very friendly welcome and loved the museum. All beautifully presented and the the re-created historical room sets were wonderful!

1  Thank R H