“Delicious dining”

Ranked #18 of 146 Restaurants in Kendal
Price range: US$26 - US$96
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: The Castle Dairy Restaurant and Art Gallery offers a unique dining experience in Kendal’s oldest inhabited building. Staffed by Kendal College apprentices and watched over by chef Chris O’Callaghan, the restaurant provides exceptional food, surrounded by local art work, in a truly unusual setting.
Staveley, United Kingdom
“Delicious dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

Our first visit since the place has re-opened, staffed by apprentices from Kendal College and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

Fine dining at affordable prices and it wouldn't cross your mind that your meal was being conjured up and served by apprentices. Presentation was fabulous, staff were professional and the food was very tasty.

We were surprised by two interesting looking amuse bouche - a mini filo roll filed with salmon mousse topped with caviar and a mini tartlet of liver something or other (I don't like liver but it was delish!). We joked with the waiter that they were so delicious he could keep them coming and bless him, he did! We were then given arancini balls (risotto balls, coated and deep fried) and they were my favourite! They had a real earthy mushroom flavour.

I had the starter of scallops on a bed of shredded carrot and pea shoots (I think) and a main of pea and mint ravioli with a pesto and bean dressing with parmesan shavings. All was delicious and cooked perfectly.

I even had a dessert which I never do of pistachio and olive oil cake, with an orange sorbet. It was beautifully presented and I went home fit to burst, but happy.

If I had to nit pick, I would perhaps agree with some other reviewers that I don't personally like the make-over in the room to the right, it's lost the cosy, relaxed feel it had. I must admit I didn't realise it was trying to be an art gallery too until I read these reviews, so that might explain the stark white wall and halogen lights which don't quite fit the rest of the building. If you're going for a romantic meal I'd ask to be seated in any of the areas on the left which have more character and more atmosphere.

We will be back though!

• Visited August 2013

Cumbria
“Excellent ad unusual”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2013

Excellent fine dining, and only pub prices! Historic building, and all the staff are apprentices under the guidance of a chef who is sure to make his name! Been for a easy and inexpensive lunch and then came back for the a la carte dinner, both superb. A real find.

• Visited July 2013
Cumbria
“Another top-notch meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

Our 3rd visit here and we were not disappointed. Excellent imaginative, tasty, visually-appealing food served by friendly, attentive staff. Extra points for registering the fact I booked us in as vegetarians and they brought the appropriate meat-free amuse bouche - something the so-called top restaurants up here have failed to do. Keep it up guys!

• Visited August 2013
“Highly recommended”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

I came here with some girl friends of mine and we had very high expectations of the place, after hearing so many great reviews.
We were not let down.
Such a beautiful building with an amazing history, all of which we were happy to learn whilst there...not only that the staff were extremely friendly with good knowledge on the history, very polite but not too intrusive. I had the steak which was cooked perfectly! And all my friends enjoyed their meals too.So I highly recommend the castle diary to any and everyone!!
I definitely will be coming back.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank kez070987
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
“Why so slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2013

Visited for lunch in a party of 4. Booked in advance but only another table of four eating that lunchtime.
The two staff members were charming, friendly and helpful but the service was so slow. Why? As only eight people were dining.
We all agreed that the food was OK but in no way special or memorable and in fact we considered that the prbmices charged were way too high.
The actual restaurant is in a beautiful, interesting old building and the furnishing compliments this perfectly.
I do not think we will be eating here again.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank Susan J
Paul G, Public Relations Manager at Castle Dairy, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Hello Susan,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review about the Castle Dairy. We do try our very best to deliver good food and service and we are really sorry that we have disappointed on this occasion.