“dissappointment!!”

Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Cheadle, United Kingdom
“dissappointment!!”
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We arrived at the hotel and were met by a very friendly receptionist, first impressions were good, bright and clean hotel, quality furnishings. We took our key and went to the room, which was right opposite the door to the stairs which banged when shut. Room was fairly large and had a decent size bed and a lovely view (room 101) HOWEVER it also had a second door, this connected to room 102's bathroom and we could hear everything that was going on plus the light actually shone under the door!!! Also our bathroom was a little tired with mould and mildew around the sink. luckily we found the problems with the adjoining room very quickly.
I returned to reception and said i did not find the room acceptable, was told that it is not normally allocated unless as 2 rooms together. (it was this time so I suspect that is a bit of a lie) After a few minutes we were moved to room 201 which was in the loft, great view again but alot smaller, a very low roof and a tiny and very uncomfortable bed. Again opposite the stair doors so noisy from other guests.
The table de hote menu was OK but lacking as my partner is vegetarian, and there are only so many goats cheese tarts you can eat before getting sick of them! why oh why can so called chefs not cooked decent vegetarian dishes?
Aquick look at the a la carte menu showed a little more flair but with starters at about £7.50 and mains and dessert at a combined £30 we were looking at a £100 bill for dinner with a mediocre bottle of wine. I felt that too steep for a bit of butternut squash that may not turn out to be cooked very well, I may have enjoyed my meat but it is important to have confidence that your partner is being equally well catered for. ( we ate at a nearby chinese and had decent vegetarian food and a very nice bottle of South African Sauv Blanc and the bill came to about £55 so good value
After a poor nights sleep trying not to fall out of bed and always feeling the springs and creaks if either of us dared to move we went to breakfast. this was a reasonable affair but once again poor for the vegetarian with only beans and mushrooms on offer.The serving spoons were shared so had been in contact with meats such as bacon and then re-inserted in the mushrooms etc. Whilst it did not bother me apart from lookink messy my partner was not able to partake of even these meagre offerings, so it was tea and toast for her, not the sort of thing you stay away from home to enjoy.
Staff were all very friendly but did not really have any style, just seemed hardworking (not a criticism but no time for any real care)
Overall a bit of a weak experience, poor sleep, changed rooms to one worse in many ways, bad for a vegetarian.

Room Tip: Please avoid 101,102 or 201 !! Do not be a vege
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank HeatonClassic

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Ormskirk
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We are a gay couple and this was our 1st anniversary get away. I was nervous at first because I'd never been away as a gay couple before and didn't know how the hotel would react, but everything was fine. Absolutely no complaints about this hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful, food was lovely, rooms were clean.

The hotel requested that we let them know before 6pm if we want to eat in their restaurant, but we didn't plan to. However, after a long day we'd changed our minds at about 8pm, and they seated us.

The breakfast buffet is also a definite highlight!

We're looking to go back to the area again next year, though maybe a bit more north. But we are also considering going back to this hotel because we had such a great time.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

1 Thank genevaflowers
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend, we were very pleased with the welcome we received on our arrival, we ate dinner in the restaurant on both evenings and the food was top draw.

Our stay at this hotel was wonderful just what we needed.

• Stayed March 2011
Blackburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding party.
Firstly we were able to use our rooms earlier than stated so we could get changed which saved us having to travel in our wedding outfits.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the wedding was well catered for.
The food was excellent, both the wedding breakfast and the morning breakfast, the only critisism that I can mention was with the morning breakfast, this was a buffet type meal well cooked and plentyful but the serving utensils were just layed at the side of the food vessels, I would have liked to see them on seperate holders as the food was getting mixed on them.
There was also a slight problem with the room, but once again the staff were very helpful and resolved the matter to our satisfaction.
All in all a very pleasant stay with value for money

Regards
Tony
email t.coe195@btinternet.com

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tiger059
Chester
Reviewed 25 February 2011

I visited with my husband and small daughter on a midweek break. We needed relief from stress and that is what we got. Comfortable, spacious, clean accommodation and exceptionally friendly service. For me it was bliss as I suffer from multiple food and other allergies. Sarah went out of her way to ensure that we had a suitable room and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for the professional staff. Ian the chef laid on a special menu for me and I felt truly pampered. The food was delicious and cooked to perfection. All for a reasonable price. Thank you so much to all the staff. I would recommend this hotel as a great springboard to any visitor to the area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SusanBurt
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2011

Although we have a caravan in The Lakes, we decided to have a single night dinner, bed and breakfast in a hotel. I have passed the hotel on numerous occasions but never stayed there. The reception staff were very welcoming and friendly and we were allocated a room on the second floor. It was exactly what I expected room such a hotel. It was very clean, comfortable with plenty of storage and somewhere to sit other than the bed. We had already been given a free upgrade to a room with a very large bed. This proved to be extremely comfortable.
We were asked what time we wished to dine, and we were welcomed by friendly staff. There was a good choice of food on the menu and we were very pleased with our meal, The food was really hot and fresh.
After a good night's sleep we ventured down to breakfast. There was a extensive range of food available, ranging from fresh fruit and cereals to a 'serious' full English fry. This was accompanied by fruit juice and hot drinks. Possibly the best hotel breakfast we have ever experienced.
I would like to thank the staff for making us very welcome and feel that we were special, as I am sure they did for all the other guests who stayed on that night. The no fuss free WiFi was also appreciated.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Designerman2011
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2011

Had an excellent stay here for my daughters wedding with extended family and 2 dogs , Staff couldn't do enough for us even having dog biscuits for the dogs! Room was clean and the breakfast was one of the best I have ever had.5 minutes drive into Kendal .

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank chrisapp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa

Been to Stonecross Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!