“Great Location & Amazing Food!”

Stonecross Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Felt very welcome straight away. The receptionist was lovely! The hotel is very ye olde, it looks very impressive from the outside! We stayed in a room with a 4 poster bed which was quite a nice touch. Didn't eat an evening meal, but the breakfasts are amazing! The town is only a 20 minute walk away or 10 minutes in the car. The second time we have stayed here and would do so again. There was a wedding on the first time we stayed, but it didn't effect our stay at all. The only thing I would say is that the walls are really thin, so you can hear everything through out the hotel. Might just be the 4 poster bed rooms though!?

Room Tip: It's not too much more to upgrade from a double room to a 4 poster bed room. Well worth doing!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jennyrob669

Reviewed 12 March 2012

Any one who complains about the quality of food here must be from a rival hotel, the breakfast had a really wide choice and excellent quality.
Had several evening meals, and again really good standard, and again a wide choice, and not too expensive.
Only bad point is £4.50 for a small plate of soup, really expensive for what you get.
The staff are one of the best I have come across in a long time, they are really genuine and friendly, and work well together, and make you feel really special.
Large car park and pool available.
About 10-15 minutes walk from town centre, so not too far away.
Only bad point was rooms have very thin walls, and when fan in bathroom is on in adjacent room it is noisy, and you can hear television as well.
This was highlighted when woman in next room kept finding religion, all you could hear was her shouting 'OH GOD YES' every evening, kudos to her man though !!!
Rooms are decent size, but was a slight damp smell in bathrooms though, believe rooms at front were noisy due to traffic, so we were at a room at side, and it was not so bad.
So would recommend, not a five star, but due to food quality definately a 4 star.
Avoid Kendal Inn nearby on way to town, very poor place and full of young people and very noisy.

Room Tip: go for room at rear
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Stayed for 3 nights last weekend. Everything was brilliant. The hotel is located right at the South end of Kendal It was a 20 minute walk down a slope into Kendal town centre or a £4 taxi ride back up with the shopping. This walk may be a problem for the elderly or infirm, but it is a pleasant enough walk with part especially with a slight detour right along by the riverside.
We stayed in a King 4 poster room with out pet dog and it was spacious and very clean with a bed and lovely clean, crisp, white linen. It also had a part view of the local hillside. We were on the second floor and the lift available is a bit on the small size for 2 people and a pooch with luggage, but that was only a minor problem when checking in and out. The breakfast is as good as anywhere I have stayed with free range eggs, back bacon, the best sausages I have ever tasted as well as beans, lovely sautéed mushrooms and fried bread. Needless to say lunch wasn't required. We dined in the bar area rather than the restaurant on an evening as we were allowed to bring our pet dog with us when we ate there. The Hotel is a lovely Manor House with a large car park which is lit at night. There is a night porter available after 23.30 hrs for night owls. As I said the staff were amazing they were very, very friendly and knowledgeable and could not do enough for us throughout our stay. This hotel is definitely not a Holiday Inn and what I liked especially was that all of the other guests went out of their way to be chatty with everyone else. They were obviously enjoying their stay as well and I never heard a bad word said about anything. All 30 of the bedrooms were fully booked on the Saturday evening and most were occupied on the Friday and Saturday.
There are some really good half board deals to be had at this Hotel and you won't believe it, but it was actually cheaper than others were paying in the Premier Inn which is at the other end of town. Definitely a great place to stay in Kendal. Oh, and I forgot to mention that it also has a Swimming Pool, not that I had time to sample it during the stay, maybe next time eh?
Graham Robinson

Room Tip: Our King 4 Poster was at the rear side of the hotel and very quiet.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank grahamgrobinson
Reviewed 28 January 2012

The Stonecross Manor Hotel in Kendal is very good concerning all points.
I arrived a was checked in by Mandy on 23rd Jan, you will not find a more professional lady ! she was superb. She knows how to make visitors feel welcome and want to return. She answered the phone, took the persons number, and said I will phone back when I have finished dealing with my guest ! Fantastic service, best receptionist I have met.
I stayed in Room 209 on the 2nd floor, a small, but perfectly adequate lift takes you and your bags with speed to your floor.
My room was really good, with very high quality furniture. A medium sized TV that worked perfectly, lovely and warm, with very good en suite facilities.
The bar and restaurant was tended by two superb members of staff, first of all Liam, a young lad who is very friendly and great company, always looking for a reason to smile and laugh, but completely professional with it. And his colleague Kirsty, without doubt, the nicest Scott's lady I have ever met. She is genuinely friendly, attentive, professional, kind and in a way, she is Stonecross’s jewel in there crown ! between her and Liam, they make an evening in the bar/restaurant a memorable time. I cannot wait to return.
I drank the beer brewed by Thwaites, and it was great.
Food is just superb, the mixed grill is good meal and you wont find better, and Breakfast is a large buffet, with everything you could want, all 1st class ingredients.
The Wi-Fi worked very well, I measured the speed in my room at 7.11 Mbps download, and 0.66 Mbps upload, this is really good.
The hotel also has a really nice swimming pool, with changing rooms. I swam for about 20 minutes, the water was warm, absolutely 1st class.
When I return, I shall not be visiting the lakes, but staying put in the hotel, I recommend it 100%.

Richard Kaminski.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank trigga1526
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The hotel is very charming and a good location for an overnight stop over. All the staff were helpfull and friendly. We did have a meal in the hotel which was very nice but breakfast was the usual buffet style which is never the best. We booked a four poster room which was fine even if a little small, but sadly even though the bed was comfortable every time either of us moved it squeaked which caused a bad nights sleep, also noise from adjoining bathrooms was very noticeable. I did mention the bed at checkout and was told that that's just because it was a four poster bed ! I have slept in quite a few four poster beds and they have been squeak free....

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jillian197
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Excited by the special offers, I booked a Four Poster Room for the weekend 20 Jan 2012. On arrival we found that we had been upgraded to a King Size Room. The room was tastefully decorated, very clean but the bathroom could have done with some new grout and a cosmetic overhaul. The room was spacious despite the addition of a single bed ?? Our dissatisfaction came at 6pm when we discovered we were over the kitchens and the extractor fan kicked in. Reception assured us the fan would be off by 9pm and would start no earlier than 8am. We were offered an alternative room but this was a standard double on the front and had a lot of traffic noise. Unable to settle in the room we went for a walk and was pleased with the close proximity to kendal. On our return we were satisfied that the extractor had gone off. However at 3,30 and 4.30 we were awoken by strange noises from the kitchen area below that sounded like something being dragged across a tiled floor. We decided not to stay the second night as we could not face another sleepless night. The breakfast was also very disappointing, buffet hot plates that barely kept the food warm and food appeared aneamic and neglected. Had we been given the 4 poster room we had originally booked maybe the result of our stay may have been different. In this instance an upgrade was not well received and feel this hotel would struggle to be awarded 3 stars now if reassessed. Only positive was that the hotel is within walking distance of Kendal and the fish and chips at Fish Xpress were wonderful, well worth a visit.

Room Tip: Avoid room 107 or any by the kitchens
Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2012

En route we needed a cheap hotel that allows dogs and has enough parking space for a van and that is exactly what we found. Room was basic but ok, the bathroom was a bit mouldy, the shower curtain was too short so that explained why the side panel of the bath was mouldy too.
I had a laugh at the tap, typical British, hell bound to keep hot and cold water separated at all costs, this tap was a mixer tap but..... With a separate opening for hot and cold water so you can scald and freeze your hands at the same time brilliant!
Dinner in the restaurant was very lonely as nobody told us that you can also have bar meals so the bar was full and we ate in an empty dining room, the meal was very basic but the staff in the restaurant was very friendly. I finished my meal with a cappuccino, big mistake, this is by far the worst cappuccino I have ever had, it was literally undrinkable,
Breakfast was good with a great choice.
Overall this is a basic hotel for a reasonable price (£75 for a double with breakfast)

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
#6 of 13 in Kendal
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to Stonecross Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!