All reviewsfour poster bedtravelzoo offersteam room and jacuzzievening mealgroupon dealbuffet stylelovely hotelset menulambbirthday treatbooked this hotelspa facilitiesplenty of parkingone night stayroom was clean and comfortablelake districta lovely stay
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Stonecross Manor was just an absolutel delight to stay at. We had a lovely room at the top with an attic window which looked out over the country hills over the road just beyound the houses. The dinning room was just devine and dinner settings on the tables shone and sparkled at night when eating the gorgeous food prepared by great chefs. The tables had fresh flowers and a oil burner glass candle on the table. It was just so nice to eat at a warm and friendly place with a great atmosphere generated by the staff. We had a normal breakfast one morning and the presentation and choice of food was excellent and alot to choose from and you could go back for as much as you wanted.

Reception was most helpful with what we needed to know and they even organised us some lunch for us after the kitchen had closed when they didnt have to, it was lovely and tasty. The morning we left we had a very early check out and they even organised a continental breakfast for us before leaving even before the kitchen staff started. This most appreciated as the day ahead of us was going to be a long one.

My husband and I were very sad to have to leave such a lovely place. We would definitely go back there again. It was such a pleasure to stay there.

Room Tip: The rooms at the front are good, our room was upstairs and to the front and it was perfect for us, It was not overbig but most comfortable and suitable for what we needed and it was very clean and presented well.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for the first time in September 2012. I regularly visit Kendal and have now stayed in all three of the main hotels in the town; Stonecross, Riverside and Castle Green. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel and I WILL stay here again!

Having read a good selection of other reviews in relation to this hotel, many of them talk of the "tired" decor; yes maybe it is not super modern but it is easily on a par with the Riverside hotel and unlike the Best Western Castle Green this is not a typical chain style modern hotel. If you are after a clean modern room, somewhat Premier Lodge style then maybe the Castle Green is for you. However, if you are after a hotel that is clean, tastefully updated but retaining a slight character feel then I would recommend you read on.

I initially booked two rooms, for myself and a family member, for two nights; we actually ended up staying three nights in rooms 212 and 214. Both rooms were four poster rooms of reasonable size and cleanliness was of a very good standard. Both rooms had good sized bathrooms with baths; last time I stayed at the Castle Green it was a lovely small bathroom that was only equipped with a shower. If I were to get picky with the rooms, the LCD televisions are tiny and the room has an iron and ironing board; the cover on the ironing board needs changing in 212. But really that is all I would pick at; for the price paid, rooms were more than comfortable, clean and equipped with all you really need. This is not a five star luxury hotel, it's a three star the rooms reflect a good quality three star accommodation.

Down stairs the hotel has a nice open seating area in reception, a good bar and the restaurant is a comfortable place to enjoy both breakfast and an evening meal. Breakfast was an area I was very impressed with; like most hotels it is in the form of a wide varity buffet style, unlike most hotels, the hot food is constantly replenished so quality is good you can see it has not been sat in hot trays for an age. It seems when it comes to the hot food the chefs/cooks take a little and often approach to the food so there is literally freshly cooked food coming at a regular pace.

We also had an evening meal twice in the restaurant and yes I would recommend it. You need to book your table at reception or the bar at some point through the day, but they always seem to find space so if you are unsure of your plans in the morning you can just book in the evening; though I can not remember the exact timings they have a big time window in which you can book. In terms of quality of food, it's good and furthermore they will seemingly do almost anything to accommodate a whim or specific dietary requirement. For example, my family member is a diabetic, very picky and often only eats a smaller meal in the evening. As a result, the chef prepared a salad and not just a few bits thrown on a plate a wide selection, put together and presented in a nice way with various salad side dishes. Thankfully, I am not diabetic and was able to eat from the main menu and I have to say it was good.

Finally, and I really hope this feedback can be shared with the hotel colleagues, I want to give a special mention to the best thing about this hotel; the biggest thing that cuts it apart from it's two main rivals in the town it's STAFF. I have stayed in many hotels in the UK and work in senior management in a service industry. EVERY colleague in this hotel was a credit to the hotel. All were cheerful, helpful would be a gross understatement! All were so genuine in the service they gave so friendly; I have never been so impressed with a collective group of people like this before. Not one colleague looked miserable or like they didn't want to be there; they were all so happy to help in whatever request was made.

So if you want to know why I would recommend this hotel, over the Riverside and Castle Green, and why I will stay here again read the above paragraph again!

Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: September 2012
5  Thank Stephen_L51
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on 5th September.. Positive points are...
LOCATION - about 1.5miles (15 min walk) from town, nice setting with plenty of parking.
ROOM - The room was a large size & tastefully decorated - the corner jacuzzi bath was lovely, even if it meant holding the shower over you as no shower attachment or curtain were there. Some noise from the road but didnt really bother us.
STAFF - Very polite, helpfull & courteous - no complaints there... The girl on reception was very pleasant - as was night porter Paul who helped with some first aid items after a minor trip / accident outside..thanks..
BREAKFAST - Good choice of hot / cold buffet & fruit / yogurt etc - very nice

Negative Points are...
TIRED LOOK OF HOTEL INTERIOR - In the lobby / hall the doors were discoloured white & badly need a coat of paint - same as the pool area which had peeling paint on the walls, 2 dead spiders in the jacuzzi & looked like it hadnt been cleaned or decorated in ages.. Carpets looked dirty in halls. Shame coz has a lot of potential..
BED - A bit on the hard side - quite an uncomfortable sleep had.
PRICE - Given the above points, £175 for 2 nights B&B for its 3* rating was prob the max i would pay on a late deal ( the usual price apparantly £120 per room, per night which would be vastly overpriced in my opinion )

OVERALL IMPRESSION.. Although some negative points above, ive tried to be fair. This is a nice hotel in a lovely spot with great staff, nice rooms & tasty breakfast. Just needs a re-decoration / paint job throughout & it would be a cracking hotel.. Kendal a nice little town too..

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2012

A warm welcome at reception but the room was small and being at the front of the hotel was noisy.
The duvet was stained and the one that eventually replaced it was a king size stuffed into a double cover... Very lumpy and uncomfortable... The sheets were thin and had holes in them.The young guy in the bar was great, really friendly and very helpful however the seating in the bar was filthy.
The restaurant was pleasant and the food very good.
Housekeeping seems to be a real issue. It all needs a little updating and TLC.When asked if everything was OK on checkout and the answer was no the receptionist seemed at a loss as to what to say.

Room Tip: Ask to look first.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Stayed here recently for two nights, booked the suite with the four poster and spa bath. Just on the outskirts of Kendal town itself we found it a very relaxing and enjoyable stay, the pool was very nice and the meals especially from the market choice very nice indeed. Friendly staff look forward to staying there again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple