All reviewsfour poster bedtravelzoo offersteam room and jacuzzievening mealgroupon dealbuffet stylelovely hotelset menulambbirthday treatbooked this hotelspa facilitiesplenty of parkingone night stayroom was clean and comfortablelake districta lovely stay
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Excellent value for lunch time special menu.
Good choice, plenty of hot food, in pleasant dinning room.
3 Courses for £10.50 cannot be beaten.
Cannot comment on hotel rooms or evening meals.
Worth a visit instead of eating in Kendal.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We are locals and went to the restaurant on a Friday night to try it out. We had a nice meal which was spoiled by some minor things but these added up to an overall average experience.

Firstly, this point is down to personal preference but I really don't like it when you have booked a table for a meal and the staff seat you in the bar until 'your table is ready'. I prefer to sit straight down at the table. The restaurant was empty and the tables already ready so I don't see why we had to go through this unnecessary step. Other diners who came in later in the evening and were staying at the hotel were shown straight to their table. A minor thing but a bugbear of mine.

The starter was a major let-down. We both ordered smoked mackerel on a bed of samphire. The samphire was well past it's best and incredibly woody. We ate the mackerel and we pointed out that the samphire was inedible to the waitress who said she would tell the chef.

We then both had the rib-eye steak cooked rare with béarnaise sauce and chunky chips. We got our steaks as ordered (rare) and the béarnaise sauce was lovely. Chips were good and the garnishes were a nice touch. The house red wine was nice (the Italian was far nicer than the French in both of our opinions).

We didn't have desert (too full after a great main course) but we weren't compensated on the bill for the disappointing starters.

The decor needs to be updated but the place was clean.
Overall, an average visit which could have been improved by some tweaks.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I was booked into this hotel rather than the usual Premier Inn in the centre of town, and this is worth going the extra mile for.

Walking in you find the desk always manned, there is a night porter too. Check in was easy. My room, was comfortable but on the 2nd floor which meant a pitched roof, and I did bang my head four times in two nights getting out of bed or when making a brew.

Saying that, that was the only quibble. I ate in the hotel both nights, the food was good quality and I think was good value, the beer was excellent (Thwaites) and it also had a good choice of malts that my expense account did not stretch to. The staff were friendly, and nothing was too much trouble for them; the wi-fi worked well with good bandwidth. The room TV had all the BBC channels as well as the main radio stations too. I was happy enough.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have pitched ceilings so headroom is a problem.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jelltex
Reviewed 24 October 2012

my son, his wife and my 18 month old grandaughter had booked into this hotel for 4 nights to celebrate his 30th birthday. they chose this hotel because it had a pool. Me and my husband decided to join them on the sat night ,i had got a late deal and paid £100 for a double room. After we had checked in, has we went to the room i noticed the stair carpet was badly stained, so that was not a good start. The room was small, but looked clean, but the bathroom sink had a great big crack in it,there was black mould all around the sink, the coat hook on the bathroom door was hanging off and there was a horrble foisty smell in the room.
There was the nice touches with the tea tray and the lovely breakfast.
But it was not worth the £100 i paid for this room and i would have checked out if my son had not been staying as well. I would not have paid £120. I dont no where they think that their rooms are worth that amount
My son took my grandaughter into the pool but it was too cold for her, so there wasnt much to do with her in the hotel

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 October 2012

A one night business trip. Room was good with a powerful shower and a four poster bed. The bar is small but cosy and the service and staff were excellent. Must mention the breakfast which although a buffet (normally I dont like these) was really good with nicely cooked quality ingredients. Situated far enough from the town centre to be quiet and yet close enough for a walk in.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business