“Great value for money”

Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kendal
Shropshire
“Great value for money”
Reviewed 19 September 2013

I stayed at this hotel for one night, in a four poster room. I paid £85BB and to be fair it's great value for money. Yes the rooms are dated, but that is out weighted by the cleanliness, nice clean smelling linen and towels and the friendly staff, great breakfast and really nice leisure facilities. For the price I paid which includes breakfast, parking and use of the pool I was more than happy. There is also a really lovely pub only 5mins walk away that I had one of the best meals I've had in ages, perfect base and location, I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Eat at Romney just around the corner, excellent food and great value beautiful meal and nice atmosph...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Stacey P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Manchester
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Traditionally decorated hotel now looking slightly tired in places. Double bedroom was a decent size and well furnished; comfortable bed; modern bathroom suite. All areas very clean and tidy. Staff helpful and friendly. Parking plentiful, Short 10-15 minute walk into Kendal. Hot and cold breakfast buffet with waiter service for tea/coffee/toast. £106 for double room for one evening is a little pricey but there are additional facilities such as an indoor swimming pool if you want to avail yourself of those facilities.

Room Tip: The hotel is set back from a main road and therefore there is not much noise in the evenings.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Chester
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Stayed at this hotel recently for just one night, very friendly @ reception, nice clean room & excellent service and food offering in the restaurant. Imaginative menu using local produce. Ultra helpful night porter who arranged continental breakfast as had an early start next morning. Well worth a visit or just try the restaurant.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
(private)
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I went there on a saturday night and we asked to book a room, the man on the service center/ reception the man was extremely nice towards my family and i, he gave us the key and we were on our way
The room was immaculate and the bed was amazing although it was a bit expensive it was worth it. Everyone was very friendly the staff in the restaurant was very polite too it was great experience and i would love to revisit some time when the weather is nice

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We have spent the last 10 weeks nipping across the road into the hotel to eat, drink and use the pool facilities as whilst we are in UK we reside in our RV. All the staff have been very friendly, including the management and owner. The food is excellent and value for money; the bar a little expensive but you expect that as it is a hotel. The new leisure facilities are much superior and all in all we will return next year. I cannot comment re the rooms but Rome was not built in a day. However I can comment that my mother held my father's funeral tea here and the food, hot buffet and cold buffet was superb, again as were the staff and management who looked after and treated my mother ( and myself) with compassion. Particularly appreciate that they allow dogs into the bar area.

Room Tip: As mentioned we cannot comment on sleep/rooms other than the ground floor. Usual wear and tear whic...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank topsy1048
ash777_12
Reviewed 10 September 2013

nice hotel but little bit expensive anyway but services was very nice reception staff lovely and friendly, we eat in the restaurant everything. things was good restaurant staff was very polity
i would like to visit again great place

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Dreadful, filthy room, filthy furniture, filthy carpets, dead flies and wasps on window sills. Dirty bath, torn bath towels. Filthy scatter cushions on bed. I researched for hours to find a lovely hotel with a pool for our second night stay in the Lake District. First night was Wateredge Inn in Ambleside, lovely. Stonecross Manor's website is extremely misleading. It looks beautiful which is why I booked a suite with a kingsize 4 poster bed and jaccuzzi bath. As soon as we got to the stairs I realised something was wrong, when I walked in to the room my heart sank, it took me back to my youth and bedsit land in London although those bedsits were cleaner than this hotel room. It was 4.30pm and we had to stay somewhere but I could not have sat on this furniture or slept in the bed although I checked that the sheets were clean, I was astonished that the place could be such a polar opposite to the advertising. I explained to the very nice receptionist (only good thing about the hotel) that the room was very dirty, I asked if there were any better, cleaner, more modern rooms, she said no but showed me another room on the 3rd floor which was just a smaller virsion of the awful one we had booked. I said that I didn't want to cause offence but I couldn't stay in this hotel, I said I had researched it thoroughly and it didn't look like this. I asked if there were any hotels down the road that might be better - she telephoned the Castle Green hotel - she seemed to know the staff there, my feeling is that I am not the first person to refuse to stay there. Castle Green is the only 4 star in Kendal. I am not a snob, all I wanted was what was advertised and this was not it. They should be pulled up by Trading Standards for false advertising. My advice is don't go there, it isn't even cheap. I paid the same price £125.00 for the very large twin room at Castle Green hotel. I would repeat, the receptionist was very nice and helpful in finding us alternative accommodation but we shouldn't have had to go elsewere.

Room Tip: if you want a good room go to another hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dottypower

Travellers are raving about these Kendal hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,074 reviews
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Stonecross Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!