“Don't stay at this Hotel”

Stonecross Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Don't stay at this Hotel”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The words that come to mind is Faulty Towers!
We paid for a four poster bed room to celebrate my 50th birthday.
On arrival the hotel looks lovely from the outside but is actually really shabby inside.
The carpets are dirty, the stairs have loose carpet which is a trip hazard.
The hallways are marked and crybaby looking.
The door to the room had not even been painted, it just had undercoat on it and was dirty and marked.
The furniture in the room was chipped, marked and very Shabby.
The toilet when flushed made a loud noise.
Tiles cracked in bathroom.
Towels old and tatty.
Windows hard to open and in need of painting, walls marked and dirty Etc.
At this point we thought it was only for one night, we would use the facilities and leave early.
Off to the pool for some relaxation.
We had to get towels from reception, they had none, we had to wait for the receptionist to find some, she didn't sign us in because we had waited long enough. We went into the pool area which on first impressions looked lovely, there is very little changing facilities. Once changed we headed for the pool which was stone cold, the walls of the pool were that dirty I could write my name in the dirt, we then went in the Hot tub which once again was cold and had a good six inches of crime around the edge- I would have expected the receptionist to warn us that the pool was cold, It did not happen?

Breakfast was basic and we had to ask for everything, I'm still waiting for toast.

Terrible hotel would not recommend it at all.
The room cost £144.00 for B&B for one night, I refused to pay the full amount and Paid £75.00 - I still feel this is far too much for the quality received.

This hotel has 3AA starts - I think this need reassessing.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Tracey W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Warrington Cheshire.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a lovely hotel, the staff are courteous and pleasant and the accomodation is fine, we stayed in room 214, it's worth asking for. If I have one gripe about the hotel it is the restaurant, this a lovely restaurant surrounded by chimneys on a busy main road with about thirty covers and there were six to ten people in the restaurant both nights that we were there. If that were one of my restaurants there would be at least a four week waiting list. The food was at best mediocre, to much sauce and frozen chips masqueraing as chunky chips, six to ten people on a weekend evening and the chefs have to serve ready made frozen chips? The restaurant should be a MAJOR earner for the hotel but it will never be until someone takes control of the kitchen.

Room Tip: Need to be quite fit if you are staying here to visit Kendal, it is really on the outskirts.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jmurphypsa
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a wonderful hotel and I cannot praise it enough, the food is of the highest standard and the staff are beyond belief in the way they carry out their duties added to this very comfortable beds (we stayed in room 101) that has a fantastic view. This was definitely the most pleasurable and relaxing break we have had for a long time and we look forward to going back.

Room Tip: Room 101 nice sized twin room on the 1st floor next to lift with lovely views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thewineking
Los Gallardos, Spain
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was at my cousins 90th birthday celebration held in the Function Rooms at this hotel, we enjoyed a lovely 3 course meal from a varied menu. The staff were attentive and efficient , the tables had a white and peach coloured theme and were immaculately set, they had been formed into a square with a beautiful flower display in the centre.The garden made a great setting for a group photograph after our meal. This was a family only celebration and we all had a wonderful afternoon with the birthday "girl"

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Abergele, Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

On the outskirts of Kendal, easy to find. Large car park to the rear, Friendly and smartly dressed staff, very helpful and polite. We were there for a birthday celerbration. very comfortable, nice decor. Varied menu, catering for all, very nice food, well presented, no rush between courses. Recommended.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Winchcombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This hotel could be spectacular. The staff were all lovely and very helpful. The food was also very good. However, it does need some TLC. I stayed in a suite (not sure why as not booked) which was a huge room. There was a four poster bed which was good to look at but squeaked every time you moved in the bed and felt very rickety. The bathroom was large again and had a whirlpool bath but the fittings were shabby and there was some mould growing on the wall. A real shame as it has huge potential. Just needs some updating I think. That having been said, I would be happy to stay again - although on this occasion I was not paying as it had been booked for me by a client who was footing the bill. So I might have a different view if I had known the cost!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Well if u don't suffer with a bad back before ur stay at the stonecross u most certainly will wen u leave!! The beds are extremely hard. On arrival the reception staff were very welcoming and check in was great we arrived early but we're able to go to are room as it was ready. We were in a double room on the first floor (110) first thing that hit me wen we opened the door was the musty smell my husband went to reception for some air freshener n we kept the windows open. We had a four poster bed which I was quite excited about until I sat on it and it Creeked A LOT lol. So if ur planing a dirty weekend be prepared for a few funny looks at breakfast . The rooms need a lot of updating and there were hairs on our towel's and in the sink. The pool and jacuzzi were wonderful a little on the small side for a big hotel but it was quiet while we were there. We didn't eat our evening meal there but looked at the menu which I thought was a tad expensive but the buffet style breakfast was lovely and we'll catered for everyone's appetite. Would I stay again? Probably not unless it gets updated, and the beer garden that's mentioned on there website is a few random table and chairs in the car park.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kelly G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Riverside Hotel
#6 of 13 in Kendal
County Hotel
County Hotel
#11 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Stonecross Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!