“rustic/outdated - depends how you look at it ...”

Stonecross Manor Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Kendal
Manchester
“rustic/outdated - depends how you look at it ...”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

booked through TravelZoo for my mum as a birthday present. for £95 for a stay with a Queen 4 poster bed, dinner and high tea - it was a good buy! in a GORGEOUS area, with views for miles, especially if you have a front facing room, which we did. it is very rustic, which some people can view as old & outdated. the floors & beds are quite creaky but it all adds to the feel of the place. room was HUGE & bathroom was big enough. bathroom could've done with new shower curtain/regrouting but i hardly noticed it without closer inspection. the service at dinner with a little OVER-zealous (this coming from a waitress of 5 years - 2 of which has been at a 4* chain hotel) but he was trying very hard & seemed to be only him with a fair few tables. breakfast was nice in the morning, good yummy food/selection, but the waitress was too busy chatting in the back to sit us down/acknowledge us quickly (you can see through to the kitchen from the door) & she gave us the wrong hot drinks in the end! she was polite though. it was very easy to find on the SatNav & i was made aware that the leisure facilities had recently been refurbed, but unfortunately we didnt have time to look. the hotel as a whole would benefit from this same refurb as it is a little outdated, but DO NOT LOSE THE RUSTIC AUTHENTIC HOMELY FEEL!

Room Tip: get one front facing - ours was just above the front entrance. views of the mountains are amazing!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank KaraLoganCF

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Darlington
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

My partner & I booked Stonecross for 2 nights at the last minute through Superbreak. It is well situated for visiting Kendal & the surrounding areas, on a main road although there is no road noise. The staff were all friendly and extremely helpful throughout our stay. We ate in the hotel both nights and the food was delicious. Breakfast also went down well, especially with my partner! Our room was nice, with a king size four poster bed which was more comfy than we anticipated. Fantastic powerful shower. The pool area is clean, with a small pool, lovely jacuzzi & small steam
room. The massage jets in the pool are very powerful & hit the spot on tired shoulders! The only real fault we could find is that the rooms could do with a lick of paint & some tlc. We would definitely visit Stonecross again!

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank MissD2903
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Stonecross Manor had so much going for it when I booked the hotel. We stayed for one night and were dealt with fine at arrival and went up to our room. The hotel appears to be in need of an overhaul, with quite dated decor and furnishings, and a musty smell around the place. The bathroom appeared a little unclean as well.

Being quite tired from a long day travelling we decided to go to the bar for something to eat instead of having to go in to town. I love steak and have never left the best part of a steak before on my plate, but left this one - there was a sour taste to it and although it was cooked fine I wasn't happy to eat it. I said to the waitress that I believed the steak was "on the turn" and she apologised and said she'd tell the chef, but never came back with any explanation and I still paid for the full meal. I wasn't offered a discount or anything.

Once in bed at night, it turned out there was a huge gap under the door and the light from the hallway shone under the door the entire night meaning not the best sleep. I can't say I was overly impressed by the breakfast either.

On leaving I expected the receptionist to ask how our stay was but just charged me the extra for the meal and sent us on our way.

This hotel really could have so much going for it but is quite disappointing. I've paid less for a hotel when I've had better service, a cleaner room and a better sleep.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chae H

Travellers are raving about these Kendal hotels

LANCASHIRE
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Just got back from a night away with my husband. Hotel is lovely. Staff are very helpful and welcoming. We had a fantastic view from our room and would stay again. Location is great for kendal although we thought it is to far to walk into the center but taxi only 4 pound. We didnt use the restaurant only for breakfast which was good. Buffet style. We used the pool which was fantastic.

• Stayed July 2014
Runcorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The words that come to mind is Faulty Towers!
We paid for a four poster bed room to celebrate my 50th birthday.
On arrival the hotel looks lovely from the outside but is actually really shabby inside.
The carpets are dirty, the stairs have loose carpet which is a trip hazard.
The hallways are marked and crybaby looking.
The door to the room had not even been painted, it just had undercoat on it and was dirty and marked.
The furniture in the room was chipped, marked and very Shabby.
The toilet when flushed made a loud noise.
Tiles cracked in bathroom.
Towels old and tatty.
Windows hard to open and in need of painting, walls marked and dirty Etc.
At this point we thought it was only for one night, we would use the facilities and leave early.
Off to the pool for some relaxation.
We had to get towels from reception, they had none, we had to wait for the receptionist to find some, she didn't sign us in because we had waited long enough. We went into the pool area which on first impressions looked lovely, there is very little changing facilities. Once changed we headed for the pool which was stone cold, the walls of the pool were that dirty I could write my name in the dirt, we then went in the Hot tub which once again was cold and had a good six inches of crime around the edge- I would have expected the receptionist to warn us that the pool was cold, It did not happen?

Breakfast was basic and we had to ask for everything, I'm still waiting for toast.

Terrible hotel would not recommend it at all.
The room cost £144.00 for B&B for one night, I refused to pay the full amount and Paid £75.00 - I still feel this is far too much for the quality received.

This hotel has 3AA starts - I think this need reassessing.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Tracey W
Warrington Cheshire.
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This is a lovely hotel, the staff are courteous and pleasant and the accomodation is fine, we stayed in room 214, it's worth asking for. If I have one gripe about the hotel it is the restaurant, this a lovely restaurant surrounded by chimneys on a busy main road with about thirty covers and there were six to ten people in the restaurant both nights that we were there. If that were one of my restaurants there would be at least a four week waiting list. The food was at best mediocre, to much sauce and frozen chips masqueraing as chunky chips, six to ten people on a weekend evening and the chefs have to serve ready made frozen chips? The restaurant should be a MAJOR earner for the hotel but it will never be until someone takes control of the kitchen.

Room Tip: Need to be quite fit if you are staying here to visit Kendal, it is really on the outskirts.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jmurphypsa
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a wonderful hotel and I cannot praise it enough, the food is of the highest standard and the staff are beyond belief in the way they carry out their duties added to this very comfortable beds (we stayed in room 101) that has a fantastic view. This was definitely the most pleasurable and relaxing break we have had for a long time and we look forward to going back.

Room Tip: Room 101 nice sized twin room on the 1st floor next to lift with lovely views
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank thewineking
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
Appleby Manor Hotel & Garden Spa

Been to Stonecross Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!