“Breakfast”

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kendal
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Breakfast”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

A nice hotel with a great location but the breakfast left a lot to be desired. Self service with plastic lids on the containers most of which were empty when I queued up. I ended up with mushrooms (tinned) and baked beans.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Public Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased to hear that you were happy with your accommodation and the beautiful location of the Riverside. However, we are sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with breakfast. As all food is cooked fresh (including the mushrooms, which are certainly not tinned), in busy periods a delay can be experienced in refreshing the buffet. Nevertheless, this has been discussed with the kitchen staff in order to maintain the quality of service that we strive for across the hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Lancashire
Reviewed 29 January 2012

Excellent all round Service from the Receptionist to the Restaurant staff. One minor quibble is the wait time at the bar. The hotel was fairly quiet so I am presuming the amount of staff was less than usual.
The breakfast was nice but could be improved. A few extras such as croissants, pastries & a couple more items on the full breakfast would make the world of difference. Also Cumberland sausages would be nice considering it is Cumbria! But on the whole it was very nice.
The room was very comfortable with everything you would expect from 3 star accommodation. The freeview TV only picks up about 15 channels but that didn't really bother us.
Two issues that really did bother us were 1) the shower was fixed and quite low. My partner didn't find it a problem but I am quite tall and therefore it was below the height of my head. My partner thought it was quite funny but I didn't quite share her amusement.
2) The bulbs in the bathroom are so hot that with TWO minutes of them being on the whole bathroom was like a sauna. It probably sounds petty complaining about the bulbs but honestly it was not nice. If we were staying in the summer I can only imagine what it would be like.
The bar and lounge area was very nice and comfortable and the staff were friendly and welcoming. The prices were also very reasonable apart from the wine which was a bit on the pricey side.
There is parking in a parking garage next door which is great but if you are arriving late in the day or evening you will be lucky to get a spot. However you can park in the train station just a 2 minute walk away. They have reserved parking spaces for users of the hotel.

The hotel is in a beautiful location next to the Kent river. We saw 2 otters playing around during breakfast which was delightful and quite rare I believe. Out of ALL the bedroom windows you could see the Castle Ruins of one of Kendal's Castles high above the town. All bedrooms are facing the river.
A few reviews on here have said there were problems with noise. Well we didn't have this problem at all. No noise from the river, traffic or other guests. I guess you can have noisy people wherever you stay. It is not the fault of the hotel in my opinion.
We didn't use any of the leisure facilities during our stay so can't really comment on what they are like. The hotel will supply you towels for swimming/the gym if you request them. (50p a towel)

All in all this is a very good hotel in a great location and I think you would be very hard pressed to find somewhere better to stay in Kendal for the price.

Good to Know:
Windermere Village is approximately a 25 minute drive
Bowness is approximately a 19 minute drive
South Lakes Animal Park is approximately a 45 minute drive
Grizedale Forest is approximately a 40 minute drive

Room Tip: 3rd or 4th floors have the best views. Try to arrive a bit earlier to get the best parking.
3 Thank krayziemike
Thank you very much for this lovely review of our hotel. Firstly, we would like to say how wonderful it is that you saw the otters! These are quite a rare sight, however their occasional outings are captivating all of us here at the hotel. We are very pleased that overall, you were satisfied with your stay at the Riverside, and that you enjoyed our fantastic views and great lounge area.
We are sorry about the issues you had with your bathroom and your comments have been recorded. We do hope that you stay with us again next time you are in the area.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

The reception wasnt manned when we arrived so had to press the bell and wait and wait. The bedroom looked like it had been plastered and left to dry. The wall around the plug socket - the plaster had come away exposing behind it, paper thin walls with constant banging doors, shower leaked all over the bathroom floor.
Nice view of the river. Good location for Kendal town.

• Stayed January 2012
The_ManagerSLH, Public Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate all feedback and take your comments very seriously. Having investigated your complaint, we are taking immediate action to resolve the issues that you have raised. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused, and hope that you will soon return to allow us to demonstrate the true Riverside experience.
London
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Theres not much i can add about the hotel, it is a bit like Crossroads but without the humour!....the "lesuire" facilities are grim, poorly maintained and staffed.

I have to stay here with work on a semi-regular basis and I am amazed that some of the issues with the state of the gym, Pool and lesuire areas are still on-going.

If you would like the people on the street to see you in your swimwear then this is the hotel for you....wide screen TV pointing out onto the street that is so clear you can tell what people are reading by the poolside...to be honest this screen is intrusive, disturbing and frankly a bit pervy....would you like your family been watched in the swimming pool by strangers..

Once you have decided to run the gauntlet of a public viewing whilst you swim you will need to use the changing rooms, to get to these you will need to pass by the bored, uninterested and unmotivated staff...this is not difficult as they are generally hypnotised by Facebook or youTube or similar.

Once in the changing rooms look out for the hygene in the showers, mold is a speciality and the clothes hooks on the walls by the showers have been hanging off the wall for at least 6 weeks now (since my last visit), metal work is rusty, shower cubicles are grubby and moldy and the toilets I dont think has been washed down since...well, judging by the stench of urine...I am not sure.

Once out into the lesuire area look for a Jacuzzi full of underage children ( available on widescreen!) whilst the parents ignore them, and the gym staff also. the Steam room and Sauna take turns in being out of order and enjoy the scorcing stares of people as you try to swim and relax whilst someone else is being shouted at whilst having a swimming lesson in this smallish pool, not particulaly lesuirely to be honest.

Overall not a great experience, nothing changes in this lesuire club, The sister hotel (Damson Dene) is much nicer and worth the trip!

The rating refer to the gym, NOT the hotel

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Susie S
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and leisure club. We are pleased to hear that you are content with our accommodation and that you are a fan of the lovely Damson Dene. However we are sorry to hear your complaints regarding our leisure club, these are surprising as the leisure club is very popular and we rarely receive complaints of this nature.
If I may, I would like to address some of these comments.
I appreciate your feelings with regards to the TV screen in reception, however this is a health and safety requirement allowing us to monitor the swimming pool and is rarely commented on by other guests and regular members.
The Sanctuary does now have a new manager, John Rodgers, who is very keen to hear customer feedback and to make continuous improvements, so if feel that you have any issues to raise, please do so on your next stay.
Certain points have now already been dealt with, such as staff customer awareness and maintenance of the changing rooms. The Sauna and Steam Room are now in perfect working order, so I hope that you will be able to make use of them on your next visit.
We do however, disagree with your comments regarding the cleanliness of the toilets, as they are cleaned very regularly and we have received no complaints from any other users.
We hope that standards are to your satisfaction on your next visit, however if they are not, please do not hesitate to let us know.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We had booked a 'Suite' £100 per night DBB. Finding the room wasn't easy as the signs are confusing! It was in fact through a door marked 'Private'. The suite was 2 rooms, the first looked like an office with 2 chairs & a coffee table in front of a tv that wasn't working. The room was pleasant with a large superking bed. When I turned the quilt down I found the bed had 2 single sheets on, not a superking sheet. One of the sheets was old/stained. I contacted housekeeping but was told that there wasn't any as no one had ordered any. I was then offered a different room, & was left a key by the receptionist so I could go see it. The room was a standard room, which had just had the whole wall re-plastered, & the plaster was still drying out. I suggested that I take the sheet off this bed to use in our room, I was allowed to do this, & took the sheet back to my room. I took off the single sheets to find the mattress protector on the bed was staine with body fluids, & had hair on it. The mattress also had 'hairs' embedded in the nooks & crannies! I took this back to reception as the 2 housekeepers had vanished. She apologised. I also asked if the room could be vacuumed as there were dog hairs all over the carpet & fluff/hairs down the side of the W.C. When the housekeeper arrived, she helped me to change the sheets, but didn't seem happy to do it. When I asked for the vacuum, she said she finished at 4 so may not have time. I pointed out the dog hairs, told het my husband had asthma & if needs be I would do that myself too! A young English girls came to do it with an old 'Henry' vacuum which was no use for carpets with pet hairs. The bathroom floor was duly vacuumed, but I suspect never gets washed as there was a build up of dirt where the bath meets the floor, the bath itself had soap scum on the top, the shower screen didn't meet the bath & water floods the floor when showering. The room is right on the edge of the main road, so lorries start thundering past at 0500 & the walls shake! The evening meal was acceptable, a lamb shank which I suspect was pre-cooked, the veg was fresh but the potatoes were cold. The food arrived at such speed we felt like the staff just wanted us to hurry up. There was only 1 staff serving, who was p;easant. There was only us & one other couple dining, & the room was cool. The bar areas are large, again there were only us in there, & as it was cold in there too we took our wine back to the room. The breakfast was again acceptable, limited choice, but the cooked food was hot, & nicely cooked. It could be a nice hotel, but there wasn't enough staff, the housekeeping was sloppy to say the least! Dirty beds are not acceptable & I would not stay again.

Room Tip: ASk for a room overlooking the river
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Public Relations Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Thank you very much for the feedback you have given us on our hotel.
We are very sorry that we fell so short in such key areas and would like to reassure you that this is most certainly not a common occurrence. We strive for excellence in all areas, aiming to give all guests a comfortable, enjoyable stay, which is why this incident has been so disappointing for us.
As you rightly pointed out, dirty beds are not acceptable, and as soon as we were made aware of the issue, new sheets and mattress protectors were ordered and are now in use. In fact, all of the issues that you raised have been dealt with promptly in order to avoid such a situation taking place again.
We apologise once again for any inconvenience caused, and do hope that you may give us another chance in the future.
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 January 2012

my partner and i spend two days here between xmas and new year to chill out it was a lovely hotel with friendly staff the room was great we loved our stay and will be back again soon may even become regulars there .overall great few days away

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
What a lovely review. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much hope that you do become regulars!
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We booked a 3 night New Years package through Superbreaks, having not been to Kendal before. A short walk from the train station and into the town centre/bus station, so easy to get to and about on public transport.

Staff were fantastic throughout the weekend, very friendly, helpful and worked extremely hard throughout. Good quality food, decent portion sizes - compliments to the chef.
The room was clean and spacious.

There was a ceildh and disco on new years eve, which was great fun, and the staff ran a quiz on new years day night, which went down very well.

Our only grumble was its policy to allow dogs in the hotel, and not seperate them from other guests. We were positioned between two dog owners, with one dog howling till 2am, whilst its owners were out of the room, keeping us awake. To be fair, the reception took on board our concerns the next night and spoke to the owners. We're not against dogs, and think it's great that hotels, particularly in the lake district welcome dog walkers, but if they could have considered the rooming arrangements better, we would have awarded five stars.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from guests with dogs
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christraveller10
Thank you very much for your great review. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your New Year celebrations with us, we love having the Ceilidh and are very glad that our guests feel the same. We appreciate your comments about the rooming arrangements regarding dogs, and we are very sorry for the inconvenience caused. This has been raised reception in order to prevent the issue arising again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!