“Quiet area, 2 minutes from station, 5 mins from shops.”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

The riverside hotel is practically aroun the corner from the train station. A cheerful and helpful welcome. My room (4) had a view of the calm flowing river and the bridge, was bigger than I expected, large tv, small table with chairs, big bathroom and stuff for brews. Free wifi was a bit temperamental but it worked. Breakfast was a help yourself to whatever you want moment which I like. I was surprised from the quality of the bacon and sausages, normally they are below average when it's a help yourself place but the meat was tasty. Helpful and polite staff throughout the hotel. Surprised to see the calm river had picked up a bit of pace the next day.

2  Thank lee69
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2013

Thank you for staying with us and for posting this nice review. The quality of our breakfast is due to an award-winning local supplier, and of course, the skill of our chefs! It doesn't take much rain to get the river flowing, and after a few days of steady rain, the river can be positively mesmerising to watch from your room! Thanks again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,113)

Reviewed 20 May 2013

This was a nice hotel once we got settled in,but first off we were met by a full car park and were asked if we wanted to park in the over flow car park 2 street's away !!no i don't then i couldnt get out of the carpark because the tokens were not being exepted.We were then given a suite room which you would imagine be fab no it wasn't bed was rock hard and the windows were so misted over you couldnt see the lovely view off the river so we were given another room on floor one, much better i must say on complaining about these things we were met with politeness all the time so i did feel a bit mean in complaining but if its not right it needs fixing and it was duly sorted so happy i was .Plus side the food and drinks were reasonable prices and the food was nice there was lots of coffee and tea in the rooms which is a big plus for me the room was full of everything you would need, I did use the pool and this was lovely and relaxing although one thing did stick out ! the pool and hot tub were on a television for all to see in the reception and on record bit strange i thought,would you really want everyone passing by to see you in the hot tub ?may as well just walk around the hotel in your costume !anyway on to breakfast this was nice enough no complaints on food but there was no-one to show you to a table it was just sort yourself out kind of thing,not hard to do but a greeting on entering the breakfast area would be nice we could of been strangers of the street and just walked in and helped our selfs So to sum up this hotel not the best of starts but pleasant enough if your looking for a wee break,

Room Tip: all rooms face onto river which is lovely we were one 1st floor and it was nice
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bostonLancashire
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thank you for your review. I'm pleased that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your comments. Like most English towns, parking is at a premium. We are pleased that we have 2 car parks that guests are able to park in free of charge. At some nearby establishments, guests pay to park! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 15 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in may, originally for 3 nights, with our 2 kids and 2 dogs, this hotel is very clean and today and the food served is delightful and very reasonably priced, I did not like the area much and we had to change hotels after 1 night but this was mainly because we had 2 dogs and the room was not big enough we were falling over one another , I must say though if we did not have the dogs with us I would have stayed my full 3 nights, I would return to this hotel even although I prefer other areas in the Lake District and if we decide to go on our own then it is great value for money.

2  Thank Lyndownie
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

This was a really nice review, thank you. I'm pleased you enjoyed your meals with us as well. We do have other hotels in other parts of the Lakes, so maybe we will see you at one of them the next time you visit! Thanks again.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

We stayed at the Riverside Hotel 7 & 8 May 2013 room 307. Check in was efficient. This was a clean well presented family room overlooking the river, with a decent size TV. All staff we met were courteous and efficient - thank you.
This was a Groupon discount offer. Evening meal was a 3 course, not 4 but the food and style was lovely, up market and enjoyable.
The car parking was very limited in the hotel car park area but this is within the keeping of the area, the extra parking at the railway station needs wall signage directions ie we had to ask a shop for exact spaces as no directions displayed to enter tunnel. Although the hotel was clean it does need freshening up / painting in many areas, ie window frames. The river walks around the area are pretty and there are plenty of shops near.
The Spa area in the hotel looked adequate but we did not use the facilities.
Room: Tiny downside was the handles on furniture in bedroom hard to grip to open and the nice bathroom extremely warm due to lighting and towel rail which could not be turned off. Wifi signal weak in room 307 but OK in main areas.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river away from the road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sonia B
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you for your nice review and for mentioning has courteous our staff are; they certainly appreciate it! We do hope you come up and see us again!

Reviewed 6 May 2013

Last minute stop over during May Day bank holiday Sunday night, bargain price £77 for me and my wife incl breakfast, let us use the car park way before we checked in.
When we checked in it was speedy and no nonsense, room was good size and clean.
TV was large , although short of a lot of free view channels , but enough to watch an hour at end of day, bed was two twins pushed together but comfy, would defo stay again if in the area.

Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Eric M
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2013

Thanks for visiting us on a last minute break and for this 5-star review! I am very happy you enjoyed your stay. A word on the Freeview channels; ever since the digital switch-over, we have been hoping against hope that every time we re-tune we will pick up the few channels we have lost. Thus far, we have not fared well! Hope to see you again.

Reviewed 5 May 2013

We are a family of four with two small children aged 4 and 18 months. Due to work we were late arriving on a Saturday night. Check in was smooth and the receptionist was so helpful. The room could not have been better placed, literally feet from the bar so that with the use of baby monitors we enjoyed an hour in the bar to ourselves. The hotel is conveniently located in the town centre 15 mins from Windemere and 10 mins to the motorway. We ate in the bar on our second night. The food was excellent and despite an arrival of dozens of foreign guests the bar staff couldn't have been more helpful. I would definitely recommend regardless of your travelling status

2  Thank foxy218
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

We were so pleased to read your review; thanks for visiting and recommending us to others! Thanks for your kind words about our staff too; they really appreciate it! Do come up and visit us again.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

I pitched up right outside, on a motorcycle. This isn't usually a recipe for instantly great service, it's surprising today how motorcyclists are viewed, even when it's obvious I'm travelling on company business. Anyway, the lady on reception couldn't have been more helpful & understanding if I'd arrived in a Roller or a Ferrari. Fantastic service.

The room I had was on the third floor, high enough to give great views & I was pleasantly surprised to note that the hotel's built so most if not all rooms look out over the river. The room was a good size, clean, quiet, well appointed, everything you'd want.

The lady behind the bar was on hand as soon as I walked in, I have no idea where she was before I arrived, but I was certainly noticed & the service was impeccable. The local beer is wonderful & it's a good job for my liver that it's not available close to home!

Breakfast is a buffet affair with service for drinks. It's as good as I've had anywhere & much better than a lot I've suffered!

I was even able to leave my 'bike gear in the hotel while I walked to my meeting in town, to save me getting all dressed up for a two minute ride. Can't ask for anything better than that.

All in all, a lovely hotel, great staff, tasty beer, what's not to like?

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Phil B

We really enjoyed reading your review. Thanks for posting it and for visiting. You are quite right about our rooms, all of them overlook the River Kent and are most comfortable after a day of meetings, or doing the tourist thing! I'm glad you enjoyed your breakfast and beer selection, not necessarily at the same time! Hopefully we'll see you again when business brings you our way again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
1 mi away
North Lakes Hotel & Spa
The Regent Hotel
The Regent Hotel
#2 of 12 in Ambleside

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!