“Good service, great location and cracking breakfast!”
Review of Riverside Hotel

Riverside Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Kendal
Crouy-sur-Cosson, France
“Good service, great location and cracking breakfast!”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Having purchased a Groupon 2 nights B&B + dinner on the first night, I was a little concerned when reviewing the feedback, but I am delighted to say that that concern was totally unfounded!

When we - my wife and our dog - arrived on the Friday afternoon, check-in was quick and effortless. When we got to the room, it was clean, well equipped and spacious with great views of the river. We went for a little walk with our dog along the river and then decided to book dinner. Because we had our dog with us, the hotel kindly allowed us to use our Groupon dinner allowance in the bar. Despite the fact that we were selecting from the bar menu, it had plenty of options and we had a fantastic 3 course meal - I strongly recommend the Steak and Ale Pie!

The following morning, we all got up and went for a nice long walk up to Kendal Castle. It was just as well that we'd built up an appetite, because the breakfast we returned for was superb - full English, although I understand that there were also other options available such as toast, croissants or cereal. In fact it was so good, if fuelled us enough that we were able to go out for the entire day walking without needing to grab lunch.

When we returned, my wife and I could not be bothered with getting ready to have dinner in the restaurant, so we popped to the local pizza take-away (there is a Dominos just up the road) and ordered a pizza which the hotel was more than happy for us to pick up and take back to the room.

Breakfast was another repeat of the Herculean effort from the day before, and once again it meant that we could skip lunch.

Now we're back home, my only regret was that I never had an opportunity to use either the gym or swimming pool, but at least that give me something to try next time we are in that neck of the country.

If I was being ultra-critical, the WiFi reception in the room we stayed in (Room 105) was a little hit or miss, but it is hardly worth mentioning - although I did see one previous review from someone who obviously felt that this was a major issue (really?!?).

In summary, the service was fantastic - they could not have done more to accommodate us - the location was great - for either the local town (including Kendal Castle) or walking around The Lakes - and the bar menu and breakfast were exceptional.

So thank you to everyone at the Riverside Hotel for helping me give my wife a nice birthday weekend away and I feel sure that we will be back for that breakfast again sometime in the near future!

Room Tip: The bar menu is exceptional - if you are on a Groupon deal, transferring the value of the evening me...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 13 December 2013
Thank you so much for this great review. We really appreciate you taking the time out to give us such great feedback. We always enjoy reading the breakdown of a stay as it offers great insight, so thanks for that too. We do hope we'll see you again, thank you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2013 via mobile

The title says it all really!!

Another weekend break with the toddler and dogs and yet again the Riverside delivered.

Friendly, hospitable, value for money and still one of the best breakfasts around.

This visit has reaffirmed our plans to hold our reception there, just need to get planning now!

Stayed December 2013
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
It was so lovely to see you again and to read another one of your lovely reviews. Thank you also for your 5-star rating too. If you need any help with your planning, don't hesitate to ring up! Thanks again.
Barnsley
Reviewed 3 December 2013

Just stayed here for a long weekend, fantastic location in the town and also near the railway station. Very friendly staff, lovely big rooms and very comfortable. The breakfasts were really nice, top quality food. Lovely bar area which was very relaxing after long day out exploring. We stayed through Groupon which included 2 nights stay plus breakfast and dinner on one night. We had a look at the dinner menu and looked really appealing and a variety of choices. However when we went into the restaurant we were given a separate set menu which would have cost £24.99 for two courses plus extra if we had a sweet. The presentation was exceptional however the food wasn't. I ordered spinach cannoloni and when it arrived it had obviously been microwaved, burnt round the edges and extremely hot. It was very dry and no sauce with it. I asked the waitress if there were any bechamel sauce as the pasta was so bland to accompany the dish and she did not know what I meant and offered a fish sauce or a tomato one, in the end as I could not eat it I asked for a fish sauce but it was not very nice. I am mentioning this issue as I think it is such a shame that after everything else that it going for in this hotel to serve microwaved food and also that we did not have a choice from the menu we saw earlier which is obviously not for Groupon customers! Please have a look at this issue and try and change it for your lovely hotel. Apart from this "let down" had an enjoyable stay. Would we stay again? Yes if they change the dinner menu!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BarnsleyJulie
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Thanks for your review and nice comments. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. If I may offer a comment or two about the issue at dinner; there is only one set menu for the restaurant. We do not have a separate one for different offers. You must have viewed our bar menu which has a larger selection and is more informal than the restaurant menu. I apologise that you did not enjoy the meal but can assure you that the food is prepared fresh and not microwaved! We do hope you would give us another chance to prove that our food is expertly prepared and delicious. Thanks again.
Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Stayed for 2 nights with my partner and dog. The room was nice and spacious and clean. The food in the restaurant was beautiful, the best steak I have had in a while! The breakfast was also great! Staff were helpful and had a really good stay!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your 5-star rating and nice review. Your comments let us know we are doing a good job and we will continue to work hard to ensure all guests are well looked after. We are pleased you had a nice stay and hope to see you again.
london
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Great location . Comfortable rooms, great nights sleep and friendly staff. Can't fault it. Tripadvisor is annoying me by asking for a longer review ...No.......................................I haven't time to write more and I only wanted to thank the hotel. I won't review again. But hotel is good. I got a deal on the room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank comedy
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Thanks so much for your review. We don't mind short and sweet ones! We do hope if you are ever up our way again that we will be seeing you again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I literally had to specify with the woman on reception that while i accepted there was wifi in the room I wondered if she could put me in a room where it worked. She couldn't guarantee this, but would move me to a room in the middle of a floor closer to a router and said no one else had complained and it wasn't her fault. Always love that, as though one thinks she is responsible for installing the thing. However, she has been put in charge of looking after customers so 'its not my fault' isn't terribly helpful.

on entering the hotel you are met with the scent of chlorine from the 'spa' (leisure centre) in the basement. The rooms are shabby, not that clean - you don't feel like you really want your skin touching the sheets, and the extractor fans in the bathrooms are noisy and take about 20 minutes to turn off after you switch the light out.

My colleague was bitten in the night in his room where the extractor fan in the bathroom didn't cut out all night.

The breakfast is fine, but i kept having bits of my breakfast taken away while was still using them, which was quite annoying. unfinished Alpen and the plate i was eating off before i got to my second slice of toast, which arguably i shouldn't have been eating!

I would not recommend this hotel. In fact I would recommend not staying here. It is like the Britas Empire, only its not funny.

Room Tip: you want to make sure you are in the middle of a floor as that is where the wireless router is. If...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank rita k
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
This review was very disappointing, not least because it completely misrepresents the hotel! There is certainly no chlorine smell from the leisure centre as the pool isn't anywhere near the hotel entrance. Also, the leisure centre isn't in the basement, but on the ground floor. The hotel is cleaned regularly, and the WiFi is working fine. Many times a simple restart of the guests' device sort out any connectivity issues (especially with Apple products for some reason). Finally, other than the WiFi, nothing was brought to the attention of staff and upon checkout no one made any complaints. It is hard to make things better when nothing is said. That is the way sometimes, but we will continue working hard to keep guests happy, and if anything does go wrong, just let us know and we will do our best to fix it!
england
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This hotel is situated just a short stroll into the high street of Kendal, with its many shops, restaurants and bars. Parking is secure and undercover. The rooms overlook the river but the way the windows are situated you have to sit up on window ledge for the view! room clean and tea/coffee etc. replaced daily.
breakfast was okay, adequate but have had much more choice in other hotels. still for the price it is a good choice and I would certainly book again. It also allows dogs in rooms and bar, many of the pubs in Kendal also allow dogs and will even offer a water bowl.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jayjayo
The_ManagerSLH, Manager at Riverside Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Thank you for your visit and nice review. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate all of your nice comments. We hope to warmly welcome you back again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Riverside Hotel? Share your experiences!