“One night stay”
Review of Crooklands Hotel

Crooklands Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Kendal
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Stayed here en route to Scotland. Adequate facilities for one night, water and fruit provided in room was a nice touch. Staff very friendly and attentive and good menu in restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Good location, not far from M6, but quiet, rural feel. Plenty of parking too.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gill W
There are newer reviews for Crooklands Hotel

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Brilliant food and thoroughly enjoyable atmosphere outside. I would recommend the fish and chips and Cumberland sausage meals. 5 out of 5 stars to the chef. They were even very accommodating to the dogs too outside.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jack W
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Found room to be spacious and clean and I am very picky nicely decorated and found two comfy arm chairs a nice surprise as we have found only one in other hotels.Another nice touch was that on table in the corridor was a basket of extra tea and coffee of which we made welcome use of as my husband needs 3 cups before he comes round in the morning.The staff very friendly we can't comment on breakfast as we had to leave before it was served the bar was well stocked and was popular no noise was heard in our room 21 in all a good stay highly recommend

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank donaldfoster
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I found Crooklands to be very quiet, very peaceful, very clean (all great things) but I have to agree with BobZ42 that the red light from the smoke detector seared through my closed eyelids with an insistent red pulse. You try sleeping with your arm thrown across your eyes!

Having said that, there was lots of hot water, soft towels, good free toiletries and a great range of breakfast foods in the morning. Pity I didn't sleep very well.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2014

From the outside the hotel looks nice, with a large car park so plenty of parking. Then I noticed the coach parked outside.
Reception check in was quick and I was just asked for a signature and car reg, a nice change there. I was advised not to eat at 7 as they had a coach party due to start at 7.
The room, is well, clinical, it has that feel of being a cross between a care home and a hospital. It tries, but it's then that I realised the coach party tie in with the lounge and the elderly residents here.
Now someone has got a serious sense of humour by putting the smoke detector above the bottom of the bed, so just as I'm trying to nod off, those 2 red LEDs keep flashing away. I really must remember to keep some gaffer tape in the car and I'd have used it to cover the red flashing lights.
Otherwise there is a small tv in the corner of the room. Talking of which, the walls are rather thin so you can hear next doors tv and the 'lovely couple of ladies' who decided to have a 'chat' outside my room late in the evening.
I decided to try the restaurant, but the 'specials' piece of paper was stained and a bit dog eared so it didn't give me too much confidence of it being that special. I later find out that the specials are really 2 week specials. The rest of the menu didn't give me the confidence and the atmosphere reminded me of my mother in laws care home, so I ditched the menu and drove down to Kirby for a really nice Indian meal (recommended) plus a lot cheaper than the hotel restaurant. In my own opinion (as is the rest of this review), I think the menu needs to be cut down in size and made tidier. Really does the menu have to be in plastic protectors, it makes it seem as old as the residents. The food may be really nice, but I didn't get that far.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bobz42
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a great find, lovely, warm, comfortable, mix of modern and traditional. Staff are great, food in restaurant and breakfast was fab, with lots of choice. Their website doesn't do the hotel justice as we were really pleasantly surprised when we arrived and found it to be much smarter than we thought it would be. Staff are great. I got a call the day before we travelled to suggest our family room booking could be changed over to a double and twin room with adjoining doors for no additional charge as our children are not small anymore. Really thoughtful and personal touch. Thank you.

Room Tip: Just speak to the staff when booking to explain your requirements.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 June 2014

My wife and I spent two nights here and would gladly go back. The pub side is an olde worlde farm building conversion. The accommodation is a newer extension but the two seem to blend together well.

Our room was spacious and modern. The bed was very comfortable and there was no noise from other guests or outside. If I have a gripe it would be that there are no plug sockets near the beds. There are also no alarm clocks so if you wanted to use your phone as a clock by your bed and charge it up at the same time you're knackered. One good point was the additional tea/coffee, etc, in the corridor if the supplies in your room ran out. No view to speak of. A safe box would be an improvement.

We ate in the restaurant both nights. A three course meal and two rounds of drinks for four cost about £140. The food was good. The desserts huge. The cheese board would comfortably do two people. Fresh flowers on the tables was a nice touch. Breakfast was good too. I had kippers with a poached egg on the second day. For some reason, baked beans aren't included in the standard breakfast but my wife asked for some and they were supplied without a fuss. I'm going to make one comment though. I ordered game pie from the specials on offer. It was nice, but it wasn't a pie. It was a game casserole/stew with a pastry lid. Like I say - nice but not a pie.

The hotel is an easy 10-15 minute drive to Kendal. If you fancy a run (or nice walk) go into the minor road opposite the hotel entrance, turn right and there are some steps towards Lancaster Canal. I ran along the footpath in a southerly direction (away from Kendal - water on my left hand side). After half a mile you have to follow the path onto the road, run along the pavement for a short distance and rejoin the canal. Just over 2 miles you hit a motorway and there's no way round. It is still a nice run though along picturesque fields, although it's a grass path and a bit uneven. I suspect if you went in the opposite direction you'd be able to go further.

The staff were friendly and helpful. The wifi worked fine. Overall, we'd stay again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andy_F_Glasgow
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Stonecross Manor Hotel
#7 of 13 in Kendal
Lyth Valley Country Inn
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to Crooklands Hotel? Share your experiences!