“Glutten Free Fish & Chips”
Review of Cottage Kitchen

Cottage Kitchen
Ranked #30 of 148 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Traditional cafe
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Glutten Free Fish & Chips”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Generous portions of freshly cooked fish, chips and mushy peas on a Friday night (TAKE AWAY) made the end of a holiday extra special for my niece who is coeliac and never has the pleasure of this dish where she lives. Myself and the rest of the family agreed this was a meal we all enjoyed. My thanks to the friendly staff who showed that nothing was too much trouble for them to meet our needs. I look forward to trying their other dishes and cakes in the near future. (Just to add I did say 'take away service' as well as 'dine in')

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jacqueline F

Buxton, United Kingdom
“Very impressive gluten free menu”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

After a little research online, my wife recommend that me and my son (while on a little camping holiday) visit the Cottage Kitchen in Kendal.

It was easy to spot in Finkle Street, with a welcoming frontage and parasol tables and seating.
The most encouraging sign for me as a Coeliac was that their menu declared on the front that every item was available gluten-free. Not just the odd pre-packed chocolate cake like Nero's etc, but everything.

It seems the fish n chips is highly recommended by people online and as that is one of things I miss the most as a coeliac, I selected that. My son also chose the fish n chips.

As always, I make the staff aware of my gluten free requirements. The chef came to me and re-iterated that although the kitchen does handle gluten containing ingredients, great care was used to minimise any cross contamination. He seemed very knowledgeable and aware of the worries that coeliacs like me have. I got the impression that one of the owners (or staff) was a coeliac and hence the high level of knowledge, care and attention by all the staff. The chef told us that the batter recipe was his own gluten free recipe and people love it so much that everyone has it, not just coeliac customers. That was very reassuring as that means that the cooking oil isn't contaminated with "glutened" batter.

The lady at the counter asked me if I'd like some gluten free bread and butter with my fish n chips. I said yes please.

When our meals arrived, my sons normal bread came ready-buttered, my gluten free bread arrived with a separate little packet of butter, another good sign that they take cross-contamination of gluten seriously. The gluten free bread was lovely by the way!

We were also brought salt and white-wine vinegar (good if you're a coeliac who's nervous about malt vinegar).

The meal itself was lovely, we both thoroughly enjoyed it. The batter on the fish was superb, very crispy and light and not sodden. The fish inside was perfect, bright white, very chunky yet soft and flaky. The chips were perfect and the mushy peas were lovely too.

I'm writing this a day after our visit. That way I can be 100% sure I didn't have any signs of gluten at all. It usually affects me in around 2hrs if I do have a gluten accident. I feel perfect today.

Overall, a very nice meal at a friendly establishment. Very good value (our small sizes were £4.99 and plenty big enough!). Impressive. Great for everyone, not just coeliacs.

We can't wait to visit again during our next holiday in the Lakes.

• Visited April 2014
5 Thank jsid069
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
“Fantastic gluten free pies”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Both my Mum and myself are coeliacs and find eating out a challenge, and often have to make do with a pre wrapped dry chocolate brownie! Imagine our delight when we stumbled across The Cottage Kitchen whilst on a shopping trip to Kendal. It just looks like an ordinary little cafe but to our surprise we were told that they could provide 90% of the menu gluten free by their very helpful staff. For once we were spoilt for choice and as it's a long time since we have eaten pie's and with four different fillings to choose from we were sold! When they arrived and quite large individual portions served with chunky grease free chips, mushey peas and onion gravy they looked and tasted delicious, and all homemade! We were in heaven and even bought some more to take home to put in the freezer!! We can't wait until we visit Kendal again, as we want to try the fish next time! Highly recommend this cafe to coeliacs and non coeliacs alike.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Lois B
Kendal, United Kingdom
“OUTSTANDING!!!”
Reviewed 8 January 2014

I am very pleased with the quality of the food I received at the cottage kitchen good value for money very friendly people who go out of there way to make your meal right for you!! Nothing is too much trouble for them and are very happy to see you when you walk through the door and very welcoming :D all food cooked fresh and you can taste it as well absolutely beautiful well done!!

• Visited January 2014
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Best gluten free fish ever”
Reviewed 7 January 2014 via mobile

Called today for lunch and ordered fish and chips I am not a coeliac but I have to say the quality and taste of the fish was outstanding no different than regular chip shop fish can't get over how good it was as, I have had gluten free fish from many chippies and it as never been anything like the real thing but honestly could not tell the difference had to ask if mine was gluten free it was that good
Many thanks