“Ideal For Everyone - Even With Coeliac Disease”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cottage Kitchen

Cottage Kitchen
Ranked #38 of 146 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Cheap Eats, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Traditional cafe
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
“Ideal For Everyone - Even With Coeliac Disease”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2014

Everything in this cafe is, or can be, gluten-free. I don't need GF but the two people I was lunching with do. In their opinion the GF coffee and walnut cake here is the best ever. I chose a jacket potato with tuna mayo with chives - a variation I'd never seen before and very much enjoyed - and home-made coleslaw (bit oniony, but good) and a nice fresh mixed salad. It was a sunny day and all the outside tables were full, so we chose to take away rather than eat in, which led to a nice surprise in the form of reduced prices ('because we don't have to serve it to you, or wash up', the friendly assistant said). They have a take-away menu, but only one copy which is stuck to the staff's side of the counter! So you have to ask - apparently it's not exactly the same as the usual menu, but the staff are very obliging and will happily provide whatever it is you'd like. The freshly-made smoothies looked really good, I didn't try one but made a mental note to do so another time. I'd be very happy to eat here again, whether or not I was with people who needed GF food.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Helen K

Kirribilli, Australia
“Take what's left”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Suppose it was late for Sunday lunch and maybe it's a good sign that they had run out of quiche, mushy peas, several pie flavours and even bottled lemonade (brought me half a glass of what was left, no substitute offered for the short serving). So pies it was, with chips, peas or salad (which also should have been off the menu given the leaves that had gone slimey in it). Pies were delicious and obviously home made, but 2 hours later am battling indigestion. The service I would describe as homely with no real concept of customer care (refer lemonade incident). Serviceable feed when needed, but no winner.

Visited July 2014
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Gluten and lactose free fish n chips!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

What a treat, gluten and lactose free fish n chips, but also onion rings! Staff was very friendly and helpful! They also had gluten free (but not lactose free) quiches, pies and sweet treats (such as brownies). I have never been this full!

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Dennis C
Kendal, United Kingdom
“Glutten Free Fish & Chips”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Generous portions of freshly cooked fish, chips and mushy peas on a Friday night (TAKE AWAY) made the end of a holiday extra special for my niece who is coeliac and never has the pleasure of this dish where she lives. Myself and the rest of the family agreed this was a meal we all enjoyed. My thanks to the friendly staff who showed that nothing was too much trouble for them to meet our needs. I look forward to trying their other dishes and cakes in the near future. (Just to add I did say 'take away service' as well as 'dine in')

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Jacqueline F
Buxton, United Kingdom
“Very impressive gluten free menu”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

After a little research online, my wife recommend that me and my son (while on a little camping holiday) visit the Cottage Kitchen in Kendal.

It was easy to spot in Finkle Street, with a welcoming frontage and parasol tables and seating.
The most encouraging sign for me as a Coeliac was that their menu declared on the front that every item was available gluten-free. Not just the odd pre-packed chocolate cake like Nero's etc, but everything.

It seems the fish n chips is highly recommended by people online and as that is one of things I miss the most as a coeliac, I selected that. My son also chose the fish n chips.

As always, I make the staff aware of my gluten free requirements. The chef came to me and re-iterated that although the kitchen does handle gluten containing ingredients, great care was used to minimise any cross contamination. He seemed very knowledgeable and aware of the worries that coeliacs like me have. I got the impression that one of the owners (or staff) was a coeliac and hence the high level of knowledge, care and attention by all the staff. The chef told us that the batter recipe was his own gluten free recipe and people love it so much that everyone has it, not just coeliac customers. That was very reassuring as that means that the cooking oil isn't contaminated with "glutened" batter.

The lady at the counter asked me if I'd like some gluten free bread and butter with my fish n chips. I said yes please.

When our meals arrived, my sons normal bread came ready-buttered, my gluten free bread arrived with a separate little packet of butter, another good sign that they take cross-contamination of gluten seriously. The gluten free bread was lovely by the way!

We were also brought salt and white-wine vinegar (good if you're a coeliac who's nervous about malt vinegar).

The meal itself was lovely, we both thoroughly enjoyed it. The batter on the fish was superb, very crispy and light and not sodden. The fish inside was perfect, bright white, very chunky yet soft and flaky. The chips were perfect and the mushy peas were lovely too.

I'm writing this a day after our visit. That way I can be 100% sure I didn't have any signs of gluten at all. It usually affects me in around 2hrs if I do have a gluten accident. I feel perfect today.

Overall, a very nice meal at a friendly establishment. Very good value (our small sizes were £4.99 and plenty big enough!). Impressive. Great for everyone, not just coeliacs.

We can't wait to visit again during our next holiday in the Lakes.

• Visited April 2014