“High recommended”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Traditional cafe
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Great food reasonably priced very friendly staff nice to sit outside on a sunny day and watch the world go by They will bring a water bowl for your dog!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Everything in this cafe is, or can be, gluten-free. I don't need GF but the two people I was lunching with do. In their opinion the GF coffee and walnut cake here is the best ever. I chose a jacket potato with tuna mayo with chives - a variation I'd never seen before and very much enjoyed - and home-made coleslaw (bit oniony, but good) and a nice fresh mixed salad. It was a sunny day and all the outside tables were full, so we chose to take away rather than eat in, which led to a nice surprise in the form of reduced prices ('because we don't have to serve it to you, or wash up', the friendly assistant said). They have a take-away menu, but only one copy which is stuck to the staff's side of the counter! So you have to ask - apparently it's not exactly the same as the usual menu, but the staff are very obliging and will happily provide whatever it is you'd like. The freshly-made smoothies looked really good, I didn't try one but made a mental note to do so another time. I'd be very happy to eat here again, whether or not I was with people who needed GF food.

1  Thank Helen K
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Suppose it was late for Sunday lunch and maybe it's a good sign that they had run out of quiche, mushy peas, several pie flavours and even bottled lemonade (brought me half a glass of what was left, no substitute offered for the short serving). So pies it was, with chips, peas or salad (which also should have been off the menu given the leaves that had gone slimey in it). Pies were delicious and obviously home made, but 2 hours later am battling indigestion. The service I would describe as homely with no real concept of customer care (refer lemonade incident). Serviceable feed when needed, but no winner.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

What a treat, gluten and lactose free fish n chips, but also onion rings! Staff was very friendly and helpful! They also had gluten free (but not lactose free) quiches, pies and sweet treats (such as brownies). I have never been this full!

1  Thank Dennis C
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Generous portions of freshly cooked fish, chips and mushy peas on a Friday night (TAKE AWAY) made the end of a holiday extra special for my niece who is coeliac and never has the pleasure of this dish where she lives. Myself and the rest of the family agreed this was a meal we all enjoyed. My thanks to the friendly staff who showed that nothing was too much trouble for them to meet our needs. I look forward to trying their other dishes and cakes in the near future. (Just to add I did say 'take away service' as well as 'dine in')

1  Thank Jacqueline F