“Too expensive by half!”

Armstrong Ward
Ranked #3 of 5 Dessert in Kendal
Cuisines: Cafe, British, Soups
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Within Armstrong Ward our small café is often described by customers as a "hidden gem". We offer a range of lovely cakes, scones and tray bakes, great coffee and proper loose tea. We also serve home made soup and sandwiches, all made with fresh, local and seasonal ingredients. We have a children's menu and daily homemade specials. We are accessible for prams and wheelchairs, have highchairs and a customer loo with baby change facilities too. A pay and display parking adjacent to Armstrong Ward café.
St Bees, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Too expensive by half!”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We called in on Saturday for a cup of tea and maybe a cake to try somewhere a bit different. We sat at a table covered in the remnants of someones meal which nobody had bothered to clear although they didn't seem to be busy. There is no waitress service so I ordered tea for two and was astonished to be asked for £4.95!! When I queried the price I was told that it was 'real tea'. not sure what else they would put in it. We decided to cut our losses and went across to Booths for half the price and a comfortable settee to sit on and table service. DEFINITELY won't be back - has to be the most expensive tea in Cumbria.

• Visited March 2014
ArmstrongWard, Owner at Armstrong Ward, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to feedback your concerns regarding our cafe. Firstly with regards the table having remnants from the previous customer, every table is wiped clean after each customer and so perhaps on this occasion the table had just been cleared of crockery and had not yet had been wiped.
With regards to the counter service we find customers are happy to place their orders at the counter and as the cakes are freshly baked daily, so we find this gives customers a chance to see todays specials before they order. After placing a your order the waitress will then bring your order to the table.
Finally with regards to the pricing of our tea - we use carefully blended loose leaf tea and our prices are £2.45 -£2.65 per person, depending on the type of tea. We serve a generous pot of tea which will give at least 2-3 cups per person.
Thank you again for your comments, Jacqueline Ward

Carnforth, United Kingdom
“Expensive & service not great”
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

I visited today with my 4 year old son, he had the children's menu where you could choose one item from each box. It was ok but we got no butter with the bread and I had to ask for his drink twice. The desserts on the menu were also not available and he had to have blackcurrant ice cream - he'd got his heart set on vanilla with chocolate sauce from the menu.

My sandwich was nice, ham & roasted tomatoes. However at £5.95 this was really expensive considering I only got 2 very thin slices of ham - less than was on my child's plate. I would have had the soup as this looked nice, but they had run out.

The service needs to improve. I felt the staff were aloof and it didn't feel very friendly. It's a shame as the cakes looked amazing. Perhaps this place is better just for coffee & cake rather than actual lunch.

ArmstrongWard, Owner at Armstrong Ward, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I am very sorry that your visit to our cafe was not up to our usual standard of food or attentive service.
Usually our Ham & Roasted Cherry Tomato Sandwich is generously filled with ham in artisan roll, and has been a firm favourite on our menu for a long time, so I am sorry if we skimped on the ham in your sandwich on this occasion.
I'm also sorry we didn't look after your son very well and that you had to remind us about butter and his drink. I have small children myself so I can empathise that your son was disappointed that we had run out of vanilla ice-cream and chocolate sauce, we won't let that happen again!
Thank you again for your feedback, I hope you will visit again, we a normally a friendly bunch!
Jacqueline Ward
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Excellent cakes”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We stopped in for "afternoon tea" and we will definitely be back. The cakes were amazing. It is a little on the expensive side but the portions were enormous.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank Hazel P
ArmstrongWard, Owner at Armstrong Ward, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
I'm glad you enjoyed your afternoon tea and especially the cakes...all of our cakes are made by either local artisan bakers or are homemade by ourselves using the best quality ingredients; free range eggs, butter, fresh cream, etc.... so hopefully they are worth the little bit extra...
Thank you again for your comments, Jacqueline Ward
Kendal, United Kingdom
“small cafe with good snacks and coffee”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

nice small cafe , good coffee and cakes . Nice shop with lots of different things to buy . 'nice furniture .

Visited November 2013
Lake District UK
“Special”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Worth visiting for that special touch. Items for sale are similar to home crafted or better. Some unusual and traditional toys etc. Staff are very helpful.

Visited November 2013