“Mind your head”

Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Kendal
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Mind your head”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Really cute little cafe/shop. Steep and narrow steps to get in, and within as well as being very small inside, so not really suitable for anyone with prams/wheelchairs/etc. This is not a any fault of the shop, but simply that it is an extremely old building. Inside there are lots of original features and exposed beams. A narrow, winding stairway takes you up to some more seating and down to the shop. Staff were friendly and homemade cakes were lovely. Be aware you will need to duck down to get through some doors if you are much more than average height, and steps are narrow and steep so take care, however it us well worth a visit as the proper china pot of tea/coffee and comfy seat make it all feel very relaxing and homely.

• Visited August 2013

Woodstock, United Kingdom
“The best hot chocolate and the best cakes we've even had, love it!”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

This is the place worth a visit if you were a chocoholic and you won't regret! We made a quick stop in Kendal on our way back and we ordered a Slave Trader (banana flavour) and the first on on the list (don't remember the name, they have 16 different flavours and I wish I would have 16 friends with me) with triple chocolate cake and a gateau slice, that was so so delicious! Nice atmosphere with comfortable seatings and lovely staff, would definitely recommend it! Nice... ...Hot Chocolate... ...Cakes... ...Love it... ...!

• Visited September 2013
Kendal, United Kingdom
“So naughty”
Reviewed 27 August 2013

Do not go here if you want to lose weight....there is such a scrummy selection of chocolate here you will be spoilt for choice. Lovely staff and a very querky building.

Visited August 2013
Scotland, United Kingdom
“Chocolate Chocolate Chocolate.”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We made a quick stop over in Kendal on our way to the lakes. The Chocolate in the name was enough for my wife to check it out and I was dragged in through the narrow stair leading to the cafe entrance.
To say that not one part of the building is neither plumb nor level is an understatement, however its all part of its ancient charm. Duck if you're over 6' as the ceiling is probably just above this at it lowest meandering point.
The soup was very nice, which led us to the Dark Secret. This was two warm cepes folded with dark chocolate and cherry filling with further dark chocolate drizzle over the top and a blob of creme. I have to say we really enjoyed it and would have put it up there with my top favourite sweets had it had a scoop if vanilla ice cream melting slowly over it. Honest it was really nice, rich and extremely filling.
We had hot chocolates from the extensive menu, my wife had the dark chocolate and I had the rum and raisin.
A very good choice for lunch and we certainly felt satisfied from what we had.
Service was very tolerant (we changed our minds from coffees to the hot chocolates once we realised they were on the menu), pleasant and very welcoming.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank burnieScotland
Ascot, United Kingdom
“A must visit for any chocoholic”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

The shop is definitely worth a visit - a real Aladdin’s cave of all things chocolate. There is a good choice of pre-packaged products, as well as a large counter with a huge choice of individual chocolates for you to make your own assortment.

The tearoom upstairs has a large menu of hot chocolates, some of which are incredibly inventive. I tried their standard milk chocolate (which I found a little sickly sweet), and their bitter dark hot chocolate (called The Dungeon) which was lovely. They also do amazing cakes, gateau slices and ice creams. A word of warning: the ice cream sundaes are definitely plenty for two (or more) to share – I’d never have managed to finish one alone.

They do also offer savoury meals, though I did not try any of these.

• Visited July 2013