“Chief chocolate eater's pilgrimage.”

1657 Chocolate House
Ranked #1 of 5 Dessert in Kendal
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Seating
“Chief chocolate eater's pilgrimage.”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

In my teens I worked in the chocolate house for 4 year and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. This was 15 years ago.

I'm so please to say it has been upgraded 100%. It has more chic than gimmick now.

One thing I would note is that the floor in this lovely old building is uniquely uneven so the table can wobble a bit. So take care of your chocolate.

Yorkshire
“Chocolate heaven”
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Lots and lots of chocolate things...almost too many to choose from. Delicious hot chocolates and cakes.

• Visited April 2014
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Great Chocolate but even better cakes”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The choice of Hot chocolates was different, and my banana flavoured one was lovely, BUT the cake I had was out of this world , one of the best I have eaten for a long time. Worth every penny.

• Visited March 2014
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Chocolate Heaven! ”
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

This is so nostalgic and lovely! Me and my wife visited one hot sunny day for lunch!
The food is excellent, home made, absolutely amazing and great value! We had a great ploughmans and a sandwich, scone jam and cream and if course the home made hot chocolate. My wife had a melted caramel and I had the Aztec experience! Fantastic and so fresh!
The service was really great - they had traditional outfits and seemed doll happy to serve you! They had a lovely little shop down stairs selling hand made chocolates and treats! You must visit this at least once if you're in Kendal! Highly recommended!

1 Thank fattmort
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant hot chocolates”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

This place is worth a visit for their famous hot chocolates alone. My wife and I visited Kendal for the morning and went there twice so that we could have tried at least four of their sixteen hot chocolates before we left. I had a rum based hot chocolate and then a pineapple based one, both of which were lovely (the pineapple one surprisingly so!). My wife had the turkish delight hot chocolate and then a ginger one. They were also delicious.

Besides this they have a large range of cakes (sadly none appeared to be gluten free), and ice creams, and other cafe like foods available. And before leaving we went downstairs and bought a selection of posh chocolates loose from their incredible range (something like 72 if memory serves). 14 chocolates cost us about a tenner which we thought was reasonable. Each round of two hot chocolates was a fiver, very good value for money!

• Visited April 2014