“Superb food in a beautiful setting”

Greenhouse Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 155 Restaurants in Kendal
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Kendal's only rosette awarded restaurant, offering a contemporary menu with a strong emphasis on local produce from Executive Chef Justin Woods and his kitchen team. We offer three different menus; a daily changing three course menu at £28.00 per person, an individually priced main menu and Cumbrian Tasting Menu. Guests can stick to one or mix and match to experience their perfect meal!
Reviewed 29 July 2014

It wasn't a special occassion but we got carried away with the amazing menu and went for the 5 course taster menu with the wine pairings.
The food was superb, each course was beautifully matched with the wine and couldn't be faulted.
The highlight for me was the hogget broth, while it was a bit warm for something so wintery it was so flavourful and the goats cheese curd was a fantastic addition.
The service was friendly and fast. I enjoyed being able to see into the kitchen where there were a lot of chefs all working hard on all the lovely menu options.
It was a real treat for us to have such delicious food and we're looking forward to trying to recreate a few of the ideas at home. While it was the most expensive option on the menu we felt it was great value for money.
I would highly reccommend and hope to return.

3  Thank evertheoptomist
There are newer reviews for Greenhouse Restaurant

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We're staying at the Castle Green Hotel and were quite excited about eating here. our expectations were exceeded.

The three of us had the set menus. Two TDH and one Cumbrian 5 course tasting menu. 11 plates of food were served, and nobody could fault anything.

Everything was so delicious that it's very difficult to choose the best dishes we had. The starter of quail breast was divinely cooked with crispy skin and tender flesh. The beef loin main course was spectacular with tender beef and beautiful wild mushrooms. The hoggett soup from the tasting menu was rich and full of good meaty flavour. The sea bream was perfect with a creamy broad bean mousse. The desserts were unbelievable. The elderflower sponge with elderflowet jelly was innovative and such a delight. The tasting menu's gingerbread and butter pudding with Kendal mint cake parfait was light, moist and well matched.
Every single dish was perfectly balanced with all the various flavours fitting well. Every element of each dish was perfectly cooked. All the portions were just the right size. (I'm a ravenous diner and even I was satisfied).

The bill came to £90 before drinks, working out to an average of less than £9 per plate of beautiful food. It's impossible to beat that for value vs quality and quantity.

I'm still buzzing from having such a great meal in such a beautiful setting (full views of the Kendal countryside from our seats). I've eaten around the world (see my other reviews) and this has been the highlight of my dining experiences for the past 8 to 10 years. This restaurant is worthy of its AA rosettes and other accolades. In my opinion, it's a world class restaurant.

I will have to make a 150 mile round trip to dine here in future.

2  Thank travelone123
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Well run restaurant. Nice varied menu. Lives up to it's AA rosette standard. Food delicious and presented nicely. Nice room with lovely views. Caters well for children. Would definitely go again.

2  Thank pmhpbyrne
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We dined here for our wedding anniversary whilst staying at the hotel. Starters were smoked salmon (good) and mushroom ravioli (OK). My wife had sea bass (very good) and I had cuts of Cumbrian lamb (excellent). Sweets were rhubarb (OK) and English cheeses (slightly disappointing). I was pleased to see most items were locally sourced. The bread was very nice. Service was excellent. Overall I would recommend this restaurant.
We did also have afternoon tea the previous day which was excellent particularly the sandwiches and scones.

2  Thank KenAMorpeth
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I visited this restaurant the past weekend with two of my family members, it was on average £5-8 for a starter, mains varied the most expensive being steak at £23 and puddings similar to the starter. They also had offers on if you were not going À la carte, such as three courses for £28.

To start, the service at the beginning and throughout the main was fantastic. Commendations to all the waiters/waitresses in there as they did a great job. The food was out in a timely manner and drinks were pretty much instant. It was a shame at the end of the day we asked for the food bill, 30 minutes later still not received it, therefore had to ask someone else and it was instantaneous. They were not that busy (just stood around talking) which made it more of a shame, but i guess no where is perfect.

The food tasted fantastic, from start to finish and also very well presented. I had butter-nut squash soup to start, steak for main and a chocolate mousse dish for dessert. It is great to know the food is sourced locally and they support the local farmers/trade. I am however disappointed at the food quantities; One of the mains turned out SMALLER than the starter which was very disappointing. Although i understand the phrase 'quality not quantity'; you expect to come out of a restaurant reasonably full (especially at this cost) and that wasn't necessarily the situation as portion size on some dishes was definitely lacking. One of the mains for example, a vegetarian one therefore purely vegetable based was tiny. There is no argument that because the vegetables are sourced local you will receive a smaller amount because of cost, it just meant the profit margin for the restaurant was higher by providing less. Chucking a few extra vegetables on a vegetarian dish doesn't kill the bank, sorry.

As much as i loved this restaurant and the fantastic service, i wouldn't chose it every time, when you go to a restaurant you do want to see decent size portion when you are paying a little bit more. I do however recommend that you go out and try this place yourself, as everyone's experience is always different and despite the small portion size, the food is beautiful.

Maybe pay for two meals per person so you know you will be full?

1  Thank The_Moyagis