“Slow burner but bright in the end” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #96 of 146 Restaurants in Kendal
Price range: US$9 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Description: From beginning of November 2015 the Gilpin Bridge Inn has been taken over by locals & we plan to put this Inn back on the map. We have 8 letting rooms all with ensuite. A function room for your parties, meetings etc. A great selection on our menus both lunch & evening and on a Sunday we serve a traditional sunday lunch which can be accompanied by a cheeky pint or maybe a cup of coffee. When visiting you will only find the staff with a big smile, a great sense of humour & more than happy to help you so please visit & make yourself at home in our traditional country inn.
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Slow burner but bright in the end”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

We had a family meal at the Gilpin this weekend (April 2014) as it was local to the whole family at the time. We arrived on time to be greeted by a very friendly member of staff who led us to the table where some of our part were already seated.
The Menu was very compact with adequate choice, although my daughter is a vegetarian and there was only one option for her, she eventually decided to have a goats cheese sandwich and chips which she was quite satisfied with.
We all decided to forgo the starter and go straight for the main, I chose Haddock and chips.
An hour later our food arrived, there were 9 of us eating and the meals were basic burgers, fish and lamb so nothing too difficult but we considered the hour long wait very excessive, particularly when you consider the Inn had approximately 16 people dining including our party.
The food was very good however, the fish was cooked perfectly and the chips were chunky and crispy, everyone else commented that their food was very good too.
The let down for the Gilpin was the wait for the food and the lack of atmosphere, a few log fires and sofas would make the ambiance much more cosy (and warmer!).

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Richard H

Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Very Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

Quite expensive and a small menu, not a creative menu either, best to have a ride out in the car as there are a lot of good restaurants within a few miles.

• Visited March 2014
Ulverston, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good food, really friendly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Dived in to the Gilpin Bridge on the way back from Oxenholme after the Kendal pubs were too busy to fit us in. A great find - really friendly staff, wide selection on the menu and a top quality steak pie. Quality meat and beautiful buttery vegetables. Good spread of puds too. Will definitely be stopping in next time I'm passing with hungry family!

1 Thank dm1357
“Appalling food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

Visited February 2014.

Upon entering was greeted with smiles and pleasantness from all staff. Although the place was pretty empty we though there was hope in what we thought was a cosy little nook of a country pub. How wrong were we, again I cannot fault the service of the staff, friendly manner. But really, the food was terrible. Firstly my friend and I ordered a steak, which was the highest priced choice on the menu, which had to be taken at the bar might I add. Presentation upon receiving the meal was good but I immediately noticed the onion rings and chips - which was where it all went downhill - they had been frozen and of about the same quality of a supermarket. Moving swiftly on to the meat. GRISTLE is not the word, fatty greasy slab of meat - and on a less important note the peppercorn sauce tasted and looked like gravy with the odd peppercorn in.

For dessert, once I had actually found out how to order dessert (there is no dessert menu only a board in which the waiters direct you to get up out of your seat and order yet again at the bar) I had chosen (what I thought was) a fairly safe option; Sticky Toffee Pudding. Upon receipt the complete top of the sponge was black with burntness. At this point I was really starting to get irritated with the quality of food but decided to persevere and cut off the top to continue to eat the middle, being polite as it was not myself paying for the meal.

Overall, even some of the biggest chained pubs that are known for their awful food could've upstaged my meal at the Gilpin Bridge Inn.

Let's just say I will not be returning - such a shame with the setting being cosy, and the staff being so polite and friendly.

2/10

• 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TravellingMrsR
Padanaram Forfar, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Fair meal but a bit expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Had a fair meal at the Gilpin Bridge Inn, but it was a bit expensive for pub grub, the meal was not and reasonably well presented, I had the lamb tattie pot which was served with glazed red cabbage, the cabbage juice was flooding the plate right to the edge but the whole meal tasted really good, my ice had the gammon steak, it was really nice and she enjoyed it.

Visited January 2014