“One stop shop for lunch in Kendal”
Review of Relish

Relish
Ranked #4 of 156 Restaurants in Kendal
Price range: US$4 - US$14
Cuisines: Delicatessen
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch
Description: Grade 2 listed building in the heart of Kendal, serving locally sourced home made food - famed for our pulled pork & homemade BBQ sauce, slow cooked beef chilli, soups & breads, home roasted meats, and of course Karen's famous cakes.
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Great tasting food, large portions, great collection of drinks and very helpful staff. What a great addition the ice cream counter was recently. It is really fantastic to visit somewhere where the staff seem happy to be there. The cakes are fantastic, they are my pregnant wife's craving at the moment. Certainly worth a visit.

3  Thank Ben A

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I was recommended to try Relish by the staff in a local bank I popped into whilst in Kendal. I only ordered two take away baguettes but they were fabulous and really good value. I was on holiday in the area and really wish I could take this little place with me back home. The staff were lovely and very friendly and I would have loved to try more of the menu. You could sit in to eat too which would have been nice as it looked really cosy but unfortunately I had to grab and run.

A really excellent little place and I'm grateful to the girls in Halifax who told me to try it! Thank you!

1  Thank JJwoking
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I found this quaint little cafe one afternoon after finishing work and I'm so glad I did!

The food is outstanding especially the hot baguettes, the beef being some of the best I've ever tasted and it's all hand carved from the joint while you wait.

Then there's the cakes, oh the cakes! If you go there to try anything, go for the cakes they are out of this world!!

1  Thank robert_d_caton
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Relish is by a long stretch my favourite stop for my takeaway lunch during the week - and I've tried most of what Kendal has to offer. Any comparison with Greggs is off the mark as Greggs is in quite a different category (adequate chain-shop fare) - Relish's food is all home made with obvious pride taken in sourcing and preparation for freshness and quality. If you do find anything unsatisfactory do tell Brent who will be keen to put things right for you or take suggestions. I highly recommend the very varied salad bar - the coleslaw is the best I have had anywhere, more veg than mayo and always fresh and crunchy. There are lots of interesting selections to choose from, each with distinctive and individual seasonings, and the owner is always ready to discuss ideas. I can also highly recommend the soups (which are quite unlike commercial soups and don't sit heavily on the tum for hours afterwards), the delicious quiche, and the hot meal special - can't comment on any of the non-vegetarian fare but there is plenty on offer for vegetarians. Finally, congrats to Relish on the new seating area which makes eating in the shop an informal, comfortable and friendly experience.

1  Thank Celia J
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Every visit to Kendal, and at times during the year they are regular, I always end up in Relish. There is no better place in Kendal to end up for a bit of lunch and a chat with the delightful hard working staff and owner. Always a tasty dish to set the buds alive. I felt the need to write this after seeing Neil H and his comparison to Greggs, you need to get out more mate, Relish has a lovely vibe, every thing seems to be served with love.