Sonata Guest House
Cragg Farm(Kendal)
  • Bar/Lounge
Burrow Hall(Kendal)
View Hotel
All reviewsparking permitbath saltsb bshaving kittown centrefull englishdeja vulovely couplefresh flowersvisiting kendalfeel very welcometop floorrecommend staying heretea and coffeeexcellent breakfastgreat place to stayfriendly hosts
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 9 November 2013

You are told to go and get the parking permit in the booking confirmation, Chris offered to move his car so we could get parked nearer to the guest house. We were welcomed at the door by Inoka & Chris. After a little chat we were taken to our room. It was a twin room, we were there for the Torchlight procession, the room was quite small with the two beds but perfectly adequate and very clean, good size bathroom and a good choice of tea/coffee. Breakfast the next day was delicious - fresh fruit cereals etc to choose from, followed by the best full English breakfast I've ever had in a hotel or B&B not a speck of grease and great flavoured bacon/sausage. If I was going to nit pick - when we were in the bedroom sitting talking rather than in the lounge, there isn't room for a chair, Im happy to sit on the bed, but you couldn't lean back as the picture light was right at head level, but that as I say is a very minor thing, and I would definitely stay again. From chatting with Inoka she said they haven't been in the B&B business for long, so well done you have got it just right. Inoka also let us keep the parking permit whilst we went shopping the next day and we dropped it back in when we returned to the car laden with bags.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Inoka P, Owner at Sonata Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review.
I am pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and last week we received the ‘Breakfast Award’ from VisitBritain, the UK tourist board. I think we may be the only B&B to have this award within 3 miles of Kendal town – so we are really happy.
We are hoping to refurbish the top floor rooms next year and will include a chair for both top floor rooms and move the bedlights – as you say minor points, but valuable feedback for us.
We hope to see you again at the next Torchlight procession.

Reviewed 4 November 2013

On arrival at sonata we were greeted by Inoka who welcomed me by my first name(nice touch).we were shown to our room even though it was not ready to occupy because we were early to make sure it was OK.Inoka then gave us a map of the town and other maps were available. The host was very good providing information on where to go and what to see.room was very clean and very warm just what you need on a very cold November weekend.stayed two nights and I must say the breakfast is probably the best I have ever had(full English) would not hesitate to stay here again,loved it.bowness on Windermere about 15 mins drive Kendal town center 5mins walk

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank John E
Inoka P, Owner at Sonata Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Hi John,
Thanks for the review. Hope the weather was OK on your drive home. Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. On your next visit to Kendal perhaps, you can go to Dales as well. Hope to see you again in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2013

My partner, David and I, spent one night here in September and I have to say it was fantastic. Inoka and Chris were so welcoming and the attention to detail was a breath of fresh air. The bedroom was lovely as were the sitting and dining rooms. The breakfast exceeded all expectations (including Inoka's white egg omlette!) and when we ever come to Kendal there is nowhere else we would stay. 10 out of 10.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JO R
Inoka P, Owner at Sonata Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2013

Thanks David & Jo and I hope you do come back, your both very welcome. I’m so happy David that you liked my egg white omelette – it was the first time I had made this. It’s good to get such positive feedback from an expert  Since then I’ve made this for myself – delish!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

We only had one night at the Sonata, but very impressed with the welcome. Inoka's friendly attitude did not go unnoticed and in the morning she was same to all guests. At better breakfast we could not have asked for and we both wished we had booked here for the duration of our visit to the lakes. Exceeded expectations in aspect, especially as it was booked short notice.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Inoka P, Owner at Sonata Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2013

Hi Paul & Dawn, thank you very much for taking the time to review The Sonata. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sonata and hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the very near future.
Best wishes

Reviewed 17 September 2013

From the moment I arrived I knew this would be a greaat place to stay simply by the welcome I received. My room was very comfortable and my one night stay was rounded off by a great breakfast. All of this for a very good value for

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hi Michael,
Thanks a lot for taking the time to review the Sonata. I'm glad that you had a nice time in Kendal at the birthday party and enjoyed our breakfast, although it was a short break. Hope to see you back again in the future.

Best wishes