“home from home”

Balcony House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 42 Kendal B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Soft comfty beds, tasteful decor and well kitted out bathrooms with two very friendly hosts, Brian and Mandy, who look after you superbly. They need congratulating for restoring this old house to its former glory with great love and attention to detail. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 July 2012

thanks Mandy & Brian for such a warm welcome ive been staying here for 7 years & its the best guest house in Cumbria The rooms are exceptionally clean & comfortable & spotless

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Mandy and Brian are wonderful hosts. They go the extra mile for everyone. Their hosting skills far exceed what you normally get in a B&B and if you are unfortunate enough to be staying in a hotel, then you don't know what you're missing. As soon as I walked in through the door I felt at home. The house is extremely clean and comfortable. The beds are superb and breakfast exactly as I hoped for.
Even though it was raining we had a great time and that was thanks to our hosts. Brian suggested me may like to go to Keswick on the bus so that we could see the wonderful views on the way and he insisted on taking us to the bus station. We had a marvellous day out and look forward to returning before too long to explore more. A big thank you to Mandy and Brian for changing what may have been a miserable break (because of the weather) to a marvellous one.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2012

I stayed here this week, bedroom/bathroom full of helpful bits & pieces and the bed was so comfortable I had a brilliant sleep. Fresh eggs for breakfast were delicious and and Brian very kindly gave me a lift to work in the morning, An excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 June 2012

My sister, two adult children and I were driving back south from the Isle of Skye to Oxford and needed an overnight spot. I am so glad I picked the Balcony House. It is one of the best Bed and Breakfasts I have ever stayed in. Mandy and Brian are wonderful and friendly. We arrived pretty late and Mandy gave us a lift to a nearby pub. And, bless his heart, Brian carried all our heavy luggage up the stairs. We didn't pack too light for a 2.5 week trip. Breakfast was fabulous with free range eggs from the chickens in the garden, and we got to visit with Douglas and Duck-Duck the pet ducks that will wonder in the kitchen if the door is left ajar. What a wonderful place. I will return and spend more than one night!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Having stayed in many chain hotels over the past 12 months, the Balcony House in Kendal was the complete antidote to the bland, characterless atmosphere of the big places.
You’ll get a genuinely warm and friendly welcome from both Mandy and Brian who’ll show you around the house. Very large and spacious comfortable lounge - well suited to both holidaymakers and business people. Thereafter you’ll be left to settle-in as though it was your own home.
The bedroom was well-equipped, with drinks-making facilities and a superior selection of biscuits and chocolates (replenished every day). A dressing gown and hair dryer even. The bed was very comfortable and I wish I’d had more to time to enjoy being in it! The bedroom fronted onto the main road, but there was no problem in leaving the balcony doors open at night to enjoy the fresh air as it was very quiet. The room I had didn’t have en-suite but this was more than compensated for by a spacious private bathroom across the landing which more than adequately stocked with toiletries.
Overall, more extras than I’ve seen in a chain hotel in years.
Breakfast is one of the best I’ve enjoyed in ages. The selection and presentation made the full-english a very enticing and irresistible option!
Two very enjoyable and comfortable nights there, and I will definitely check back in there if work takes me there, or I have an opportunity during a holiday.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2012

We stayed at Balcony House for one night only as we were walking The Dales Way. We arrived very hot and tired after a long day's walking to be met at the appointed pick up spot and taken to Balcony House. What a find! It is a beautiful property and we were made to feel at home straight away. Our bedroom and en suite were beautifully appointed and nothing was too much trouble. Brian and Mandy were ready with suggestions for eating out that evening and Brian even offered to show us an alternative route back to The Dales Way next morning, which we took and it worked out perfectly. (We would never have found it on our own.) Our breakfast was wonderful and, like the rest of the house, beautifully presented. Thank you for a wonderful stay - all too short.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kendal
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
#5 of 13 in Kendal
Crooklands Hotel
Crooklands Hotel
#2 of 13 in Kendal

Been to Balcony House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!