“2 night stay at Middle Reston”

Middle Reston Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kendal
Middle Reston Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #36 of 42 Kendal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed 2 nights at Middle Reston, with 2 medium sized dogs. We were made very welcome and the house itself is really beautiful. The dogs were made very welcome too and the hosts were happy for them to roam about off lead on the grounds - plenty of space for them to run around and quite stress- free. Breakfast was excellent and nothing too much trouble. Would recommend a stay here for something a bit different to the usual hotel run-of-the-mill. Would have liked access to a shower (we had a bath) and in fairness I'm sure had we asked we could have used another bathroom. Electric blankets were a nice addition and very nice bedding/pillows. A real treat.

Room Tip: Make sure you specify shower and double bed - otherwise you may get 2 (very comfortable) twin beds p...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Julie F

Reviewed 10 August 2010

We stayed one night here in Sept 2009 and could not return to the Lakes without staying again in 2010, this time for 2 nights; a different room with a different charm but still the same feeling of welcome and being spoiled. Beautiful colours, textures, linen, views, garden, detail and not least - wonderful hosts. Breakfast was a feast befitting the dining room in which it was served; tempted to doggy-bag leftovers from breakfast and slope back to our bedroom for a snooze and a lazy day reading, or watching the view change through those windows; instead spent a very special day walking locally, barely meeting a soul. Cannot recommend Middle Reston highly enough.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank linda-ash
Reviewed 21 February 2010

I went to Middle Reston alone to recharge before a new job. I wanted a treat and was nervous as it was my first time travelling alone. I was so glad I chose Middle Reston. The house is beautiful and the atmosphere warm and welcoming. Simon Johnson is a very amusing host who knows a lot about the local area and its walks. Ginny, his wife is a champion horse rider, a lovely warm woman and an excellent cook. The breakfasts I ate featured delicious eggs layed by their own hens and kippers from nearby Morecombe Bay. I stayed in February and it was so cosy to be savouring breakfast in front of a roaring log fire. If you want to enjoy the hospitality of a family who understand the art of country living - then look no further than Middle Reston, a great value example of old world domestic grandeur.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 August 2009

If you are looking for charm, history and being cared for this is the place for you. Simon and Ginny couldn't do enough to look after me on my first trip away from my own husband and children. The house is so full of history you can't resist daydreaming about who lived there before. Beautiful gardens and home laid eggs. I fully intend to go back with my husband and children.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2009

We are from the US. We recently spent two weeks int the UK, where we stayed at six different B&Bs. Middle Reston is one of the finest! A beautiful stately home, with wonderful views, isolation, and large, comfortable rooms. The best part, however is the hosts, Jen and Simon. They are wonderful. It's like staying with your British uncle and aunt. They made us feel welcome, and like a part of the family. The pub that Simon arranged for us to eat at (Strickland Arms) was one of the best experiences we had our whole time there. The breakfast was wonderful, and what a beautiful table Jen sets!

Thanks again Jen and Simon. Best Wishes.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 June 2008

We were driving from Dunkeld Scotland to Preston England. It was a long drive ( when you throw in stopping at several sites along the way). So we thought we would enjoy staying at a bed and breakfast in the Lakes District. I contacted Simon at the Middle Reston Bed and Breakfast and he made the whole reservation process very pain-free. There was no advance payment which can be a hassle from the States since he only accepts cash. There were four of us -- me and my wife along with our son and his wife. When we arrived, Simon and his wife (Ginny) were gone; but, they left a note on the door telling us to let ourselves in and to pick out our bedrooms. Everything was great. It is a grand old summer house (19 rooms). We men spent the evening sitting in front of the fireplace and drinking some of Simon's Scotch Whisky. The women toured the house admiring the beautiful knick knacks.

The whole Lake District is beautiful and we wished we planned for more time there. The next morning, my son and daughter-in-law had to catch an early train to Dublin (this trip included a boat ride). Simon was thoughtful enough to get up extra early to drive them to the station. My wife and I slept in and had a great English breakfast with Simon and Ginny.

When we go back to the Lake District for a much longer visit, we will be staying with Simon and Ginny again. I know that this will add to the enjoyment of the trip.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 14 May 2007

Through Trip Advisor we were fortunate enough to find this hidden gem of a country house to stay at over the May Bank Holiday. It's about a mile from Staveley village and about 3 miles from Kendal. Set in its own grounds with woodlands at the back, and bedroom windows overlooking the fells and stunning local countryside.

The wonderful Edwardian country house is home to dogs, cat, donkey and hens, as well as the family who look after their guests so well. We had a delicious breakfast both mornings - the choice included smoked salmon and scrambled egg and kippers.

If you want to stay somewhere away from the madding crowd, but no too far away from local attractions it is the perfect place.
We visited Sizergh Castle which although is undergoing extensive exterior renovation, has the most beautiful gardens and fascinating interior with some of the best wood panelling and carving in the country.

As advised and booked by our hosts we had evening dinner at the Sun Inn, Crook, which needs to be booked early as it is so popular.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends