“Just a little tip...”

Ranked #11 of 156 Restaurants in Kendal
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Wheatsheaf is in the heart of the charming hamlet of Brigsteer, between the parishes of Helsington and Levens, and only three miles from Kendal. Snugly settled under the limestone escarpment of Scot Scar, charming lanes ad path ways leads to the Lyth Valley, famous for its damsons.Great dinning is offered to suit all tastes; old favourites, and a few more; handmade pizzas, Cumbrian delicacies, including of course, the all the all important Cumberland sausage! Where ever you sit you will enjoy a very warm welcome, and a hearty plateful!
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Decided to pop in at the weekend to see what it was like, having not been there for a number of years. Decor very tasteful, lots of lovely soft furnishings and seating areas. Didn't try the food although it looked like they had had a busy Sunday lunch service and the menu did sound good. Only issue I had was the drink prices. I ordered a small (125ml) white wine with ice and a splash of soda and a pint - total came to a little under £8. The wine list showed a price of £2.60 for the wine I chose, therefore, I queried the cost of the pint and was told it was £3.34 (odd price but never mind, pretty standard for good establishments in the area). I was then told that I had been charged for a white wine spritzer as, quote "that was the rules". So, basically, I had a 125ml measure of wine and a splash of soda for approx £4.50 - that's nearly £2 for the soda!! Seems a bit excessive, personally... Some might argue that it is normal to charge for soda, however, most places I frequent do not. Besides, if it's a splash (out of a soda gun), the most I would expect to be charged is 40p to 50p... I would return but would probably order a glass of red instead!

1  Thank TedMerryweather

Reviewed 17 November 2013

Went here last night with friends of ours. Owners seem to have injected some money into this venture and quite frankly we were impressed. Walking from the rear car park into the pub they have created a small but nice seating area overlooking running water below...nice touch. Inside there was a welcoming open fire roaring away. Another nice touch as some pubs round here often don't bother when it's damp and cold.Not so in here, the place was toasty. The pub itself and restaurant were one of the busiest round here I have seen in ages and stayed that way right up to closing time. Bar staff, waitresses and manager were all very efficient and easy going in every aspect. Again something often lacking in other pubs. The food itself wasn't at all bad and we would definitely eat here again. One slight issue was one of us having cold potato but this was soon rectified! All in all a real good night out and just wished we lived a little closer. The owners seem to have got the balance better here with a pub which still feels like a pub and yet which is clearly focusing on food. Would I go for just a beer session? Yes I would. Well done to the owners and staff. Keep it up.

Reviewed 11 November 2013

We first went to The Wheatsheaf back in August and it had suddenly closed. We drove from Levens to Brigsteer and the road is quite narrow - much reversing if you meet a vehicle coming the other way! We actually ended up in the clouds, as it was a grey day! The road from Kendal is easier to negotiate.
We returned last weekend and were most impressed with the refurbished decor and the warm welcome. We arrived at about noon and not many people were inside so car parking was easy, but by the time we left a couple of hours later the small car park was full.
Great menu! My other half and my Mum both had the fish and chips. "Best they had EVER tasted!"
I had a slab of wood with a huge selection of goodies on it - pate, ham, pork pie, two cheeses, salad, pickles and bread. Amazing! We had no room for a choice from the deserts on offer!
My husband drank 3 pints of Lancaster Bomber - said it was a great pint!
A good time was had by all and we will be back, clouds or no clouds!

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We are big fans of the small group of inns that this is a part of and we were not disappointed by this new one. The pub has recently been renovated and has been done really nicely and is a comfortable country inn. We booked a table to eat after we finished at 'Go Ape' but because we were going to be a little late we had to phone and explain. The staff were brilliant and our table was kept for us.

Upon arrival we were shown to our table and served efficiently and quickly.

The Real Ale was good and the food good quality, my only issue was that the door was open at the front and as a result the pub was cold.

Other than that small grip everything was perfect..... Well worth a visit !

Reviewed 12 October 2013

We live local to Brigsteer and have seen the refurbishments going on for some time. Today was the first time we could pay a visit and must say what a lovely job they've done. Really nice furnishings giving it a warm and friendly feel. I had a pint of Hawkshead beer and Mrs B had a diet coke. We'd seen the menu online so knew our order in advance...in fact it hasn't changed much in 20 years....fish and chips for me and soup for the other half. Over a long period of always ordering the same things you get to become, if this is ever possible, a connoisseur of these 2 staples of the British pub menu. The wheatsheaf did not disappoint with the food being brought out in about 15 minutes. Portion size was ample and the quality was good....well worth another visit.
Just one negative...found some plastic in my mushy peas...goodness knows where this came from. A lady came across to apologise which was as expected...however blaming the supplier (of the mushy peas? ) is a bit lame. if you like the Punchbowl at Crosthwaite or the Druken Duck at Barngates then this is for you.