“Not the best place to stay”

Crow Park Hotel Keswick
Ranked #55 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in June. After a long day of walking I was looking forward to showering and washing my hair before dinner but found that our room only had a bath, with no attachment for hair washing. On asking at reception for a shower attachment, which I consider to be a basic facility, I was advised that this could not be provided as there had been previous problems with flooding in the room. I was then offered a jug to use for washing my hair. The staff could not seem to understand that I had a problem with this and became quite confrontational. I expected more from a hotel in 2013, charging these rates.

Our room was clean and quiet and the location of the hotel is stunning. We had a particularly good Kiwi waitress at dinner, who had a great sense of humour. The food at dinner was mediocre.

Overall, I would say this hotel is adequate. I feel some customer service training wouldn't go amiss.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank reallybigbamboo
crowparkhotel, Public Relations Manager at Crow Park Hotel Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Basically, same as your partners response.

We both now that whats put a Bee is your bonnet.

It is the fact that, you got all aggressive with our reception staff and you didn't like it when they stood up to you and put you in your place.

After this little confrontation, nothing was good enough for you. We will not be bullied by rude guests, learn some manners.

Bath or shower was not specified at the time of booking with the Holiday Fellowship.

The hotel was fully booked, the only solution was to offer a jug to since your hair, what else could be done.

These two reviews show more about you & your husbands mentality than our hotel.
Get a life, you are only here for a short while and never know when the end may come.

There are newer reviews for Crow Park Hotel Keswick

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just returned from the Crow Park in keswick ans we have had a fab weekend. The weather was amazing and I bet we dont have another weekend like it this year.

We were suppose to stay for the Jazz festival weekend but I had to cancel because I wasnt well. The hotel allowed me to re-arrange to antoher weekend at no cost to myself, an amazing gesture. We were suppose to stay on Jun 22, but the hotel was full, a testament to this hotel I think. We have stayed before here in the past and decided to return.

we stayed in room 22, at the top of the hotel, yes it was 4 flights up but it add to the exercise :-)

The hotel is in a perfect location, near the park, views are amazing, pubs and shops nearby.

Plenty of choice for breakfast, refills available if required, and you could pick and choose and make up your own selection for breakfast if required.

Staff very helpful, always aiming to please. We had no faults at all.

It makes me seethe to read some previous reviews, some people want to "get a life", i only wish i could punch them :-(

Anyway, in response to other reviews, I would return to this hotel and hopefully in the not too distant future

Room Tip: Room 22 had excellent views of the park, had a shower and was up 4 flights of stars, bear this is mi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed in one of the signature rooms with a wonderful view over Skiddaw, but personally thought the view over Catbells from the front was the best. Really spacious room with lovely wooden furniture. Bathroom was clean and functional with loads of hot water. Wifi was a bonus for walk planning. The hotel is traditionally decorated but it really suits the building - I love the tartan carpet!

The best things about this hotel were:

- Fantastic, professional staff that couldn't do enough for us
- Wonderful location - close to bars and the lake
- Bar with views over Catbells (We shared a bottle of wine and watched the light disappear behind the mountains)
- Tasty breakfast
- Carpark (like hen's teeth in Keswick!)

Thank you Crow Park for a lovely birthday

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chorleyreview
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The rooms are basic - we had rooms 21 and 26 on the very top floor - the door to room 26 was too big for the frame and the fire strip was showing - not sure thats legal - anyway - no towels in one room, only discovered after my sons shower - no telephone in the room so a long walk down to reception to get some, the larger towel not really big enough, the rooms have old fashioned decor and are a bit on the tired side, pillows hard as rock

Breakfast - no buffet to get juices etc - no coffee pots - had to flag down a waiter to get a re-fill, group seating - having breakfast with others not always my idea of fun

Q - would I go back - no, I am sure there are better hotels in Keswick

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kevin P
crowparkhotel, Public Relations Manager at Crow Park Hotel Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2013

Mr P. We remember you well.

Sour grapes is name of your game.
Reviews are supposed to be accurate and constructive, not fiction and "i will get my own back", which says more about you than the Hotel.

I think the modern term is "Diet Troll"...Twitter is Troll, review sites Diet Troll.

You were part of a group who traveled to Keswick for a 50th Birthday party. 12 of your friends stayed in our Berkeley House self catering, sleeps 12 ( thats the magic number).

Another 10 stayed in the Hotel ( hence the long table for breakfast ).

What the group failed to mention when booking, was that the big idea that night was a buffet and party in Berkeley totaling 43 people, ( remember that number 12 ).

At 9pm when i found out, then came and put a stop to it, demanding all none residents leave the building, thats when the caustic comments came out and thats why you are writing a fictional review.

Looks like youve been caught out again Mr P.

Diet Trolls unfortunately are a part of all jobs today. Schools, Hospitals, Hotels and Trades people are all in for it.

Good old face to face talking solves all problems, as does acting like an adult.

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed for one night at the crow park and couldn't fault it. Lovely staff who were happy to help and were always friendly. The location of the hotel is excellent and although it is only a very short walk into town was still very peaceful. We had a room at the front of the hotel and the view was stunning. The breakfast was very nice and the picnic tables at the front of the hotel meant we could enjoy a drink in the sun with a lovely view. I would certainly stay there again.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank zippy83
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Crow Park Hotel during the Keswick Festival weekend for 3 nights. We have stayed at the hotel before and always found the staff friendly and accommodating. They could not do enough for you at breakfast and nothing was too much trouble. I don't have any opinion on decor etc as I am not living there I could cope with it if I didn't like it. Location is great very central and close to bus station.

Room Tip: The views from room 22 are stunning overlooking the park and lake (on the top floor so if you are no...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bev K
Reviewed 30 May 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel in may 2013 for 6 nights.
It's a rather old-fashioned place and that will suit some people.
Good points:
- excellent bed (we had a "superior room" 12)
- very clean
- good service
- "historic breakfast" (fantastic sausages and bacon)
- beautiful old building in a good location in keswick

Bad points:
- no shower facility (I was shocked given we had the best room in the hotel)
- no wifi except in the lounge
- awful decor (dark browns)
- small cheap thermoform bath
- nosey staff ("did you sleep well?", "what are your plans for today")
- mushrooms not usually included in cooked breakfast (although they did get some in specially)
- awful dinner menu (from the 1970s)
- tiny threadbare towels that hardly went round my 31" waist.
- no mixer tap on basin
- bath gel that smelt like antiseptic
- the bar reminded me of an old people's home where my granny died!! Really no fun!

So that's my review.

Also I'm staggered with the poor management. I can't see how such a big hotel can be so empty most of the time. The bar and restaurant were almost not used. Amazing how anybody can run a hotel like that these days. But maybe that's how all the independent hotels are run in the area.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Daniel68london
crowparkhotel, Public Relations Manager at Crow Park Hotel Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2013

Thanks for taking time to review Daniel & lets just clarify some points..

You didn't have the "best room in the hotel", what gave that impression?
Your booking was made on-line via our web site which has a clear room description stating room 12 has a BATH. If you wanted a shower why book that room?

Nothing wrong with wifi only being available in the lounge, depends what you want to use it for though I suppose.

Graham and Brown 2011 range of wall paper looks quite modern, many people comment on it, surely better than drab old emulsion. That's personal choice though, not constructive.

6ft plastic bath is large enough for anyone, Metal baths cool the water quickly.

Mushrooms, you've answered that yourself, get a grip, what are you like.

Nosey staff, hahaha, ..., Never mind what they do in London, in the Lake District we call speaking with people polite and courteous and its a good job we do. You were heading 60 miles in the wrong direction looking for Scafell Pike, not only did we put you right, we also lent you a route map.

You fail to mention the fantastic day out we also showed you. Another loan of the map and a route over Catbells. Never heard the word "thank you" though.

The quiet word you had with us was a classic, asking if we could "big it up for your wife" to make her feel good as she wasn't an "out door person". make her feel good about the walk, first time in 25 years ive had that one. And then you call us nosey!

You fail to mention that we carried your bags to and from the room, as they were to heavy for you, not normally a service we offer.
We turned a blind eye to your rudeness at bringing you own wine into the bar, the joke was on you though, drinking it from a glass DEL BOY would have been proud of (and you call our décor poor)
The rudeness doesn't stop there, talking with a mouth full of food is just disgusting, using a lap top while having breakfast, I don't really agree with, but hey its your holiday..

And no "thank you for looking for the lost clothing" that couldn't be found.

Total occupancy for the nights you stayed was 85%, the "no vacancies" sign displayed over the Bank Holiday weekend could have been a clue, inspector....

Ive probably forgotten more about running a business than any mandarin.

Don't know what you do for a living, but I hope you are a lot more thorough and concise than
you are at writing reviews.

Look forward to meeting you in the future and next time book a room with a shower, try 16..