“Dreadful Pretentious Rubbish”

Ranked #58 of 175 Keswick B&B and Inns
Hobart, Australia
“Dreadful Pretentious Rubbish”
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed 2 nights in June as part of a group doing the Coast to Coat walk. First the good things. The hotel looks great from the outside and our room was spacious. Now for the rest. Our greeting was perfunctory at best. The room had no shower. just a handset with no shower curtain around the bath and strict instructions that the handset was to be used for rinsing hair only - just what you need after a major foot slog - wet all my dry clothes and the toilet paper anyway. Met for a beer in the lounge and had to leave the expensive dreadful brew. Our meal was inclusive and it was awful but being as it was a Sunday I thought perhaps the chef had a day off. The next night was even worse - supposedly lamb chops from the grill. The grey horrid things that were served had not been anywhere near a grill that day - totally inedible. The packed lunch had been frozen and was equally inedible. Luckily Greggs Pie shop was open before we set off on our next 20 miles so we were able to buy sustenance. Their blurb says that the food is cooked by a local man of legendary fell running fame, I am not sure what qualification that is for a cook.
I could not recommend Crow Park at any price, never mind the prices they charge.
Oh, and the Kiwi waitress was great fun.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
10 Thank John T
crowparkhotel, Public Relations Manager at Crow Park Hotel Keswick, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
The Holiday Fellowship reserve a selection of rooms 9 months in advance.
No request is given for either baths or showers.

If a shower is so important to you, why not request one at the time of booking with the Holiday Fellowship. No point turning up at reception at 5pm and expecting us to produce a shower for you.

Yes I agree, these mixer taps are a waste of time. They have a 1 m hose and as the information suggests, they are designed for rinsing hair while sitting in the bath. Not trying to stand under and having a full shower. The up side is though, I am very glad you wet your clothes, serves you right for reading the instructions and choosing to ignore them. They are all in the process of being removed.

Other guests in your group enjoyed the food, hotel and ambiance. Some even left a tip on departure.

Common factor they all appeared to have was "Oh no, here is that big mouthed Aussie again"
Every time you came in the room.
Yes, I bet your neighbours were pleased you were away for a while.

Strange how you didn't mention any of this while staying at the Hotel for two days, must have slipped your mind.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Kent, England
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in June. After a long day of walking I was looking forward to showering and washing my hair before dinner but found that our room only had a bath, with no attachment for hair washing. On asking at reception for a shower attachment, which I consider to be a basic facility, I was advised that this could not be provided as there had been previous problems with flooding in the room. I was then offered a jug to use for washing my hair. The staff could not seem to understand that I had a problem with this and became quite confrontational. I expected more from a hotel in 2013, charging these rates.

Our room was clean and quiet and the location of the hotel is stunning. We had a particularly good Kiwi waitress at dinner, who had a great sense of humour. The food at dinner was mediocre.

Overall, I would say this hotel is adequate. I feel some customer service training wouldn't go amiss.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reallybigbamboo
Basically, same as your partners response.

We both now that whats put a Bee is your bonnet.

It is the fact that, you got all aggressive with our reception staff and you didn't like it when they stood up to you and put you in your place.

After this little confrontation, nothing was good enough for you. We will not be bullied by rude guests, learn some manners.

Bath or shower was not specified at the time of booking with the Holiday Fellowship.

The hotel was fully booked, the only solution was to offer a jug to since your hair, what else could be done.

These two reviews show more about you & your husbands mentality than our hotel.
Get a life, you are only here for a short while and never know when the end may come.
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just returned from the Crow Park in keswick ans we have had a fab weekend. The weather was amazing and I bet we dont have another weekend like it this year.

We were suppose to stay for the Jazz festival weekend but I had to cancel because I wasnt well. The hotel allowed me to re-arrange to antoher weekend at no cost to myself, an amazing gesture. We were suppose to stay on Jun 22, but the hotel was full, a testament to this hotel I think. We have stayed before here in the past and decided to return.

we stayed in room 22, at the top of the hotel, yes it was 4 flights up but it add to the exercise :-)

The hotel is in a perfect location, near the park, views are amazing, pubs and shops nearby.

Plenty of choice for breakfast, refills available if required, and you could pick and choose and make up your own selection for breakfast if required.

Staff very helpful, always aiming to please. We had no faults at all.

It makes me seethe to read some previous reviews, some people want to "get a life", i only wish i could punch them :-(

Anyway, in response to other reviews, I would return to this hotel and hopefully in the not too distant future

Room Tip: Room 22 had excellent views of the park, had a shower and was up 4 flights of stars, bear this is mi...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
chorley lancashire
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed in one of the signature rooms with a wonderful view over Skiddaw, but personally thought the view over Catbells from the front was the best. Really spacious room with lovely wooden furniture. Bathroom was clean and functional with loads of hot water. Wifi was a bonus for walk planning. The hotel is traditionally decorated but it really suits the building - I love the tartan carpet!

The best things about this hotel were:

- Fantastic, professional staff that couldn't do enough for us
- Wonderful location - close to bars and the lake
- Bar with views over Catbells (We shared a bottle of wine and watched the light disappear behind the mountains)
- Tasty breakfast
- Carpark (like hen's teeth in Keswick!)

Thank you Crow Park for a lovely birthday

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chorleyreview
Wilmslow
Reviewed 17 June 2013

The rooms are basic - we had rooms 21 and 26 on the very top floor - the door to room 26 was too big for the frame and the fire strip was showing - not sure thats legal - anyway - no towels in one room, only discovered after my sons shower - no telephone in the room so a long walk down to reception to get some, the larger towel not really big enough, the rooms have old fashioned decor and are a bit on the tired side, pillows hard as rock

Breakfast - no buffet to get juices etc - no coffee pots - had to flag down a waiter to get a re-fill, group seating - having breakfast with others not always my idea of fun

Q - would I go back - no, I am sure there are better hotels in Keswick

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kevin P
crowparkhotel, Public Relations Manager at Crow Park Hotel Keswick, responded to this review, 31 July 2013
Mr P. We remember you well.

Sour grapes is name of your game.
Reviews are supposed to be accurate and constructive, not fiction and "i will get my own back", which says more about you than the Hotel.

I think the modern term is "Diet Troll"...Twitter is Troll, review sites Diet Troll.

You were part of a group who traveled to Keswick for a 50th Birthday party. 12 of your friends stayed in our Berkeley House self catering, sleeps 12 ( thats the magic number).

Another 10 stayed in the Hotel ( hence the long table for breakfast ).

What the group failed to mention when booking, was that the big idea that night was a buffet and party in Berkeley totaling 43 people, ( remember that number 12 ).

At 9pm when i found out, then came and put a stop to it, demanding all none residents leave the building, thats when the caustic comments came out and thats why you are writing a fictional review.

Looks like youve been caught out again Mr P.

Diet Trolls unfortunately are a part of all jobs today. Schools, Hospitals, Hotels and Trades people are all in for it.

Good old face to face talking solves all problems, as does acting like an adult.
Durham
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed for one night at the crow park and couldn't fault it. Lovely staff who were happy to help and were always friendly. The location of the hotel is excellent and although it is only a very short walk into town was still very peaceful. We had a room at the front of the hotel and the view was stunning. The breakfast was very nice and the picnic tables at the front of the hotel meant we could enjoy a drink in the sun with a lovely view. I would certainly stay there again.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank zippy83
Port Sunlight, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Crow Park Hotel during the Keswick Festival weekend for 3 nights. We have stayed at the hotel before and always found the staff friendly and accommodating. They could not do enough for you at breakfast and nothing was too much trouble. I don't have any opinion on decor etc as I am not living there I could cope with it if I didn't like it. Location is great very central and close to bus station.

Room Tip: The views from room 22 are stunning overlooking the park and lake (on the top floor so if you are no...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple