“Poor customer service”

Crow Park Hotel Keswick
Ranked #59 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The hotel was at best OK, with a good position and looked nice.

This review is really of the customer service rather than the hotel itself.

Any negative comment got a negative response, any negative review seems to get a negative response, I find it hard to believe that a Public Relations Manager can write a semi literate response such as the one given to reviewer Reallybigbamboo.

For the record reviewer JohnT is not reviewer Reallybigbamboo's partner or husband.

The food was adequate, the room (apart from the bathroom) was adequate.

The restaurant and bar staff were fine, but the customer service displayed by senior members of staff was appalling.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank ben_constadore
There are newer reviews for Crow Park Hotel Keswick

Reviewed 31 July 2013

Just stayed at the Crow Park hotel again - probably our 5th visit. The hotel is in a great location with fantastic views of the fells. All the staff are helpful and friendly, and can offer excellent advice on where to walk. We look forward to staying again next year.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 July 2013

My wife and I were part of a group staying at the Crow Park Hotel for two nights whilst walking the Coast to Coast path. Prior to the trip I had looked at its TripAdvisor reviews and while pleased that the overall ratings were good I couldn't help but notice that any review which might be termed negative was responded to by the management in a very condescending and aggressive manner. On the trip itself my wife & I had a nice room at the top of the hotel and found the food acceptable but were sorry to overhear conversations between others in our party and hotel staff where genuine guest concerns were responded to in such a flippant & disrespectful manner. No business is going to be able to please everyone and a true measure of any successful business is the manner in which they deal with complaints. All out assaults on the credibility of complainants on TripAdvisor merely shows management for what they truly are, unwilling to listen to concerns and incapable of responding without resorting to name calling & innuendo. I can only assume that their aggressiveness is meant to silence critics, who will see little point in offering a negative review if they are going to be admonished for it. Those considering a stay at the Crow Park Hotel might reasonably wonder if any concerns they might have will be treated in the same manner. It's really a shame because the hotel itself is a pleasant one in a great location. Now if only the management & senior staff could achieve a similarly good rating.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank OB-Traveller
Reviewed 28 July 2013

I stayed 2 nights in June as part of a group doing the Coast to Coat walk. First the good things. The hotel looks great from the outside and our room was spacious. Now for the rest. Our greeting was perfunctory at best. The room had no shower. just a handset with no shower curtain around the bath and strict instructions that the handset was to be used for rinsing hair only - just what you need after a major foot slog - wet all my dry clothes and the toilet paper anyway. Met for a beer in the lounge and had to leave the expensive dreadful brew. Our meal was inclusive and it was awful but being as it was a Sunday I thought perhaps the chef had a day off. The next night was even worse - supposedly lamb chops from the grill. The grey horrid things that were served had not been anywhere near a grill that day - totally inedible. The packed lunch had been frozen and was equally inedible. Luckily Greggs Pie shop was open before we set off on our next 20 miles so we were able to buy sustenance. Their blurb says that the food is cooked by a local man of legendary fell running fame, I am not sure what qualification that is for a cook.
I could not recommend Crow Park at any price, never mind the prices they charge.
Oh, and the Kiwi waitress was great fun.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
10  Thank John T
crowparkhotel, Public Relations Manager at Crow Park Hotel Keswick, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

The Holiday Fellowship reserve a selection of rooms 9 months in advance.
No request is given for either baths or showers.

If a shower is so important to you, why not request one at the time of booking with the Holiday Fellowship. No point turning up at reception at 5pm and expecting us to produce a shower for you.

Yes I agree, these mixer taps are a waste of time. They have a 1 m hose and as the information suggests, they are designed for rinsing hair while sitting in the bath. Not trying to stand under and having a full shower. The up side is though, I am very glad you wet your clothes, serves you right for reading the instructions and choosing to ignore them. They are all in the process of being removed.

Other guests in your group enjoyed the food, hotel and ambiance. Some even left a tip on departure.

Common factor they all appeared to have was "Oh no, here is that big mouthed Aussie again"
Every time you came in the room.
Yes, I bet your neighbours were pleased you were away for a while.

Strange how you didn't mention any of this while staying at the Hotel for two days, must have slipped your mind.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in June. After a long day of walking I was looking forward to showering and washing my hair before dinner but found that our room only had a bath, with no attachment for hair washing. On asking at reception for a shower attachment, which I consider to be a basic facility, I was advised that this could not be provided as there had been previous problems with flooding in the room. I was then offered a jug to use for washing my hair. The staff could not seem to understand that I had a problem with this and became quite confrontational. I expected more from a hotel in 2013, charging these rates.

Our room was clean and quiet and the location of the hotel is stunning. We had a particularly good Kiwi waitress at dinner, who had a great sense of humour. The food at dinner was mediocre.

Overall, I would say this hotel is adequate. I feel some customer service training wouldn't go amiss.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank reallybigbamboo

Basically, same as your partners response.

We both now that whats put a Bee is your bonnet.

It is the fact that, you got all aggressive with our reception staff and you didn't like it when they stood up to you and put you in your place.

After this little confrontation, nothing was good enough for you. We will not be bullied by rude guests, learn some manners.

Bath or shower was not specified at the time of booking with the Holiday Fellowship.

The hotel was fully booked, the only solution was to offer a jug to since your hair, what else could be done.

These two reviews show more about you & your husbands mentality than our hotel.
Get a life, you are only here for a short while and never know when the end may come.

Reviewed 10 July 2013

Just returned from the Crow Park in keswick ans we have had a fab weekend. The weather was amazing and I bet we dont have another weekend like it this year.

We were suppose to stay for the Jazz festival weekend but I had to cancel because I wasnt well. The hotel allowed me to re-arrange to antoher weekend at no cost to myself, an amazing gesture. We were suppose to stay on Jun 22, but the hotel was full, a testament to this hotel I think. We have stayed before here in the past and decided to return.

we stayed in room 22, at the top of the hotel, yes it was 4 flights up but it add to the exercise :-)

The hotel is in a perfect location, near the park, views are amazing, pubs and shops nearby.

Plenty of choice for breakfast, refills available if required, and you could pick and choose and make up your own selection for breakfast if required.

Staff very helpful, always aiming to please. We had no faults at all.

It makes me seethe to read some previous reviews, some people want to "get a life", i only wish i could punch them :-(

Anyway, in response to other reviews, I would return to this hotel and hopefully in the not too distant future

Room Tip: Room 22 had excellent views of the park, had a shower and was up 4 flights of stars, bear this is mi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed in one of the signature rooms with a wonderful view over Skiddaw, but personally thought the view over Catbells from the front was the best. Really spacious room with lovely wooden furniture. Bathroom was clean and functional with loads of hot water. Wifi was a bonus for walk planning. The hotel is traditionally decorated but it really suits the building - I love the tartan carpet!

The best things about this hotel were:

- Fantastic, professional staff that couldn't do enough for us
- Wonderful location - close to bars and the lake
- Bar with views over Catbells (We shared a bottle of wine and watched the light disappear behind the mountains)
- Tasty breakfast
- Carpark (like hen's teeth in Keswick!)

Thank you Crow Park for a lovely birthday