“Everthing but the star”

Highfield Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 128 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Romantic, View, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Fife, Scotland
“Everthing but the star”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We dined here for two consecutive nights. We have eaten at one or two Michelin stared restaurants over the years, and our experience at The Highfield was every bit as good - hence our title of this review.

The quality, both flavour and visually, of the dishes was excellent. And the hotel has not marked-up its wine unreasonably. It was nice to see vegetarian options available by default

The waiting staff are very well trained: attentive just when needed.

Therefore, all told, we cannot fault the Highfield!

• Visited September 2013

“Beautiful food, excellent service-such a well kept secret that everyone whispers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013

My friend and I chose this restaurant as a treaty place to eat after a days hiking around Derwent water. We went for the four course menu which we both found absolutely delicious. Canapés were served to us in the lounge whilst we browsed the menu, and then we moved into the dining room where, to our amusement, normal voices were hushed and we had to adopt a half whisper! My starter was fresh, light, flavoursome and balanced: crab meat mixed with a celeriac slaw, wrapped with smoked salmon and a grapefruit and microherb garnish. Sorbets to cleanse the palette were next-probably slightly too big a portion for their function but very tasty. I had the salmon with goats cheese, Mediterranean vegetables and couscous. Beautifully cooked with carefully balanced flavours; quite a big portion but I ate it all! Finally the dessert was a delight for both the eyes and taste buds-raspberry soufflé with apple sorbet and a pastry spoon! It was delicious!! Service was attentive and very friendly. We went through to the lounge to finish our wine and our espresso was brought to us. We were left to relax and play a bit of trivial pursuit and then when we realised we couldn't finish our wine our waiter kindly gave us a bottle top to take it home. A thoroughly enjoyable experience and well worth the money. Highly recommended.

• Visited August 2013
san Francisco
“Must be a different restaurant!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013 via mobile

My wife and I went there for dinner with high expectations based on the flattering reviews we read. Forgetting about a very tired room, the service was good but the food disgraceful for the cost and description...
My wife ordered the avocado starter and the monkfish for her main. She got a small slice of avo and ones small section of grapefruit and a micro bite of mNgo. Enough for one bite! I ordered the pigeon as the starter. It was dry and tough and appeared to have been heated in a microwave. I did not complain until my main, the duck breast came. It was overlooked and tough and when asked, I told them of my unhappiness. They substituted the monk fish which was acceptable but not great. No veg, just a small bite of noodles.
All in all, a very disappointing meal and expensive for what we got. I could never recommend this restaurant to others. I must assume that there is new management or the chef and his staff wereon holiday elsewhere?

Visited August 2013
3 Thank travellingbilly
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Another excellent meal at The Highfield”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

This is our third meal here in the last 3 years and lived up to previous experiences. Great food, beautifully prepared and presented. The staff are knowledgeable of the menu and friendly although, as I've reviewed in other similar restaurants in the area, the atmosphere generated by the guests is cautiously "hushed".

Despite that It's a slight mystery to me why this restaurant isn't pulling in bigger crowds - possibly the slightly out-of-the way location (although it's only 5 mins stroll from Keswick Main St through the underpass). We ate at the Cottage in the Wood on the Whinlatter Pass the next evening, which is much more remote, yet had probably twice as many diners. in my opinion both restaurants were of similarly high standards.

Excellent value at £120 for starter, main and dessert plus a sorbet palate cleanser and inc. aperitifs, a bottle of wine and glass of dessert wine.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank john65lyon
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“An excellent find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2013

Had a lovely meal with family for a birthday treat. The staff were very friendly, service was fast and food was amazing. Would definitely recommend!

Visited May 2013