“Fantastic Place To Stay”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #70 of 173 Keswick B&B and Inns
England
“Fantastic Place To Stay”
Reviewed 6 August 2011

My husband and I spent a week at the Goerge. It was fanastic. Everything was exceptional and I cannot praise the staff enough. From the cleaning to the food it was top class. One of the best holidays weve had. Didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: The rooms were very spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
South Shields, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Came home Monday from a weekend at the George in Keswick staff very helpful and friendly, the breakfast was outstanding plenty of it I got the full Cumbrian both mornings and that was me full for the day, and im a bit of a fat lad.

The wife had the full breakfast first morning but second chose the continental, which was ham with an assortments of cheeses with ripe tomatoes and a touch of salad, also juice and cereals and fresh fruit, could not fault it one bit.

The evening meal was the same, quality produce and if you like fish the chefs special lemon sole was the best I have tasted.

Or room was a double on the first floor and was comfortable not the biggest I have stopped in but enough room to get about, canny on suite shower, not enough shelve space and room to hang towels but just very minor things.

One thing I did-not like was the beds were not made from the night before and no one had been in to clean our room while we were out for the day.

Overall a very pleasant stay and the weather was scorching, which is a major plus in the lakes.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 July 2011

I haven't stayed here but as others have don, I just wanted comment on the food.

I have eaten here several times, and on each occassion after a long walk my friends and I visit here for the famous cow pie challenge. It is absolutely massive and a really challenge. It is of good quality and very reasonably priced. I've managed to finish the pie on one occassion. Well worth a visit for the challenge.

Service has always been good.

Sorry I can't help in relation to the hotel.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Widnes
Reviewed 8 June 2011

We have stayed at The George now on numerous occasions over the last two years and it is a place we will continue to visit as regularly as we can.
We have visited both as a couple with freinds and I personally stay here when I have work to do in the Cumbria area, never have I been able to fault it in any way.
The staff have always been friendly and helpful as well as attentive, the locals actually recommended it to me on my first stay in Keswick (at another hotel for work purposes) when I went on my scouting mission of the pubs and accomodation in the town, and it was the only place where the locals did make me feel very welcome when I enquired about the accomodation making me want to stay here all the more and now we know why.
The food is excellent with very generous portions I have tired and been unable to finish the famous half cow pie - did not need a starter of desert, have also tried several of the other offerings on the menu over time and have never been dissapointed. and I like my food! Breakfast is always good and food is locally sourced.
The rooms in my opinion are well appointed and always clean and well presented, the beds very comfortable, large towels which we like and some toiletries provided.
Now free wi fi is available to guests - have not tried this as we have our own mobile internet access and although parking is limited at the back of the pub they now provide parking permits for the local car parks - a refundable deposit of £20 get a car park pass.
We have recommended this place to all our friends, some of whom have stayed here as well as others we see on a regular basis and have also stayed here with some of our friends and family, not one of whom has had a bad word to say about the place! Many have gone back for a second visit on thier own or with their own family and friends and continue to recommend the virtues of this old coaching inn.
Traffic noise is minimal - what do you expect with a building of this age with sash windows? The pub is locked each night at 11.30 and we have never experienced any noise from residents etc after this time.
We as a couple, a family and I as a lone female traveller who appreciates the security and confort this place offers without the need for overnight staff will continue to holiday here and visit when working for as long as we can.

Room Tip: Book direct with the pub.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ruth F
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2011

stopped at the george fantastic been to keswick many times had at great time at the george the food is great the staff very freindly will go again and again

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Good Things: this is a really lovely 300 year old pub with old wobbly floors etc, fanastic location in the middle of Keswick, our room (number 6) was nicely decorated and well appointed. The bed was large, clean and comfortable. It was easy to control the room temperature. The towels were thick and large. We got one of the few carpark spaces in the pub carpark. Lovely breakfast on our first morning, good dinner on our first night, lovely female staff.

Not-So-Good Things: one rating star lost for a very shabby bathroom, quite out of keeping with the rest of room 6, needs completely gutting (generally clean enough to use, but not £100 a night standard), no hooks or rails in the room not even for towels. Another star lost for variable food (revolting "vegetarian sausage" which was a soggy potato croquette with peas and carrots in it, and "Boston Beef" so vinegary as to be inedible, no wifi for guests in an area with rubbish mobile phone signals, and some of the male staff were very surly.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CalamityJaneUk
Manchester
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the george. we had booked at another hotel but was put off by the reviews, glad we were, this is a little gem, not the poshes, but old fashioned quaint. Staff very friendly and helpful, food very good (and huge portions) The rooms are warm and spotless, and the bathroom was massive, the water was red hot every evening and morning. Do agree with a previous review that the noise from outside can be a little loud, but didnt keep us awake.
The pub is always busy at night and used by locals and guests alike, will be back again at some time.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple