“Olde Worlde”
Review of George Hotel

George Hotel
Ranked #88 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 October 2013

An old coaching house/traditional market town public house situated on the main street in Keswick, dating from around the 17th century. A great deal of the original character and fabric of the building remain unchanged (I would imagine) from it's origins. A plaque on the wall outside the main entrance, which is on the pavement of a very narrow street, informs of all the famous (and infamous) patrons who passed through the doors. The hotel has a very quirky feel and character - lots of wood paneling, narrow twisting staircase, uneven sloping floors, doors that don't quite fit the openings and a wonderfull atmosphere. Ours was a late booking (3 hours) and the room we had overlooked the main entrance, which we were a little concerned about as the pub was very lively on our arrival at 6.30 and we were dreading the late night departures and possible noise. But our concerns were unwarranted. Obviously people were still leaving the pub and restaurant until late night but caused no disturbance. The room was quaint but very comfortable and clean with most of the items you require -tea,coffee, hair dryer etc., and a small, wall mounted TV which looked and performed as though it had been to a party the night before! The en-suite had been built into the original largish room and so occupied probably a fifth of the original room, but even this fairly modern addition still had a wonky floor and ill-fitting door which blended perfectly with the overall flavour. Car parking around the rear of the pub is very limited and is very much on a first come basis but the hotel has an arrangement to use the town main car park which is only a short walk away. The staff could not be faulted in any way and were efficient and obliging in every respect. Breakfast is served in the restaurant area and is as comprehensive and filling as you may need. I have reviewed the restaurant elsewhere but would class that as excellent also. I will have no hessitation in re-booking at The George in future. .

Room Tip: Take a gamble and enjoy!
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for George Hotel

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stop no. 2 on the Lands End to John O’Groats road trip. This had been a long days driving having come from our first stop at Burnham-On-Sea and we wanted to stay in a pub where we could have a couple of cheeky pints before dinner and bed. We relied heavily on the AA B&B finder app for the SatNav and so The George was located. Seemingly it’s the oldest coaching inn in Keswick and it certainly looks the part - in a good way! Our room was clean and nicely decorated and had everything one should expect for £100 a night. The loo didn’t flush properly but on telling staff they were straight on the phone to a plumber.

The highlight however has to be the food. Pulled pork was super-tasty and the service was great. Definitely book a table, it gets really busy. Breakfast the following morning was probably the best we had on the whole trip and given that lots of people who obviously weren’t staying over, still came in for breakfast I assume means they have a great - and well deserved, reputation. This is going to sound odd but I’ve never in my life had mushrooms as tasty, The Husband said the same (it’s an exciting life we lead) and I practically had to roll myself back up to our room to pack.

Parking is very limited - we were lucky to get one of the few spaces behind the inn but given it’s location (in the centre of Keswick) and heritage, that’s hardly surprising. If you don’t get a space there, staff will give you a permit for one of the local car-parks.

I think £100 for the room we had might be a tiny bit over-priced but I suspect it’s the going rate for the area and I’m happy to pay for the experience of staying somewhere with so much character. Just bear in mind it is a working pub/restaurant and it is in the town centre, if you don’t want to be woken early, I’d go out of town!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2013

A lovely old fashioned traditional pub with rooms right in the middle of Keswick. Very handy for all that Keswick has to offer. The food in the pub is some of the best in Keswick. We have stayed there a few times and find it very comfortable but not first class.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We were made aware of The George about 6/7 years ago and tried the famed cow pie then and found it to be excellent. Unfortunately for what ever reason the overall quality of the place seemed to dip in the next few years. We tried it again last year after being told by the owner of where we stay it had picked up again. She was right the place had an excellent feel to it and the menu was back to its old self. The cow pie was stil there and although I have not sampled this myself everyone that had it raved about it. We had lunch there quite regularly and the filled baguettes are very very good and excellent value at 4.95. I had the smoked bacon and melted brie on all occasions my wife had chicken melt and also the prawn in marie rose sauce. We dined there and I had the Lamb George which almost fell off the bone and was so tender my wife had salmon which she said was deicious. We have been visiting Keswick for over 20 years and the george is without doubt the best eating place we have come across in the town. We look forward to May 2014, our next visit to both Keswick and The George.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stopped at The George for two nights from 16th August 2013. This was our third stay at this hotel which is in itself a testament to the overall experience we've experienced on previous visits.

Like nearly every other reviewer on this hotel, I too tried the cow pie (only the half portion), and found this to be every bit as good as I was told. We actually ate in the hotel for the two nights of our stay, mainly because other favourite restaurants were fully booked, but this turned out to be great for us in the end as both meals were fantastic.

I always go back to The George for their 'black pudding tower' starter which I simply find divine, and its something I have yet to find anywhere else in the country. My wife sampled the pigeon breast salad for a starter and the venison casserole. Both meals were full of flavour and really hit the spot.

We were in room 11, which had had a significant make over since we last stopped in the same room two years ago. Room was spacious, comfy and the complimentary drinks and biscuits were plentiful. On the downside, the shower was less effective than the classic Cumbrian rain we had all weekend, and the pillows were hard.

Breakfast was really good and when I asked to mix two of the breakfasts so that I could just have the home cured ham and two poached eggs, the waiter and chef were more than happy to oblige.

My BIG gripe with the hotel, and this has been the same each and every time we have stayed, is how the seating arrangements are laid out for breakfast. When entering the restaurant in the morning, you are seated on a table that is literally no more that an inch pulled apart from other tables each side. This can be really awkward at breakfast as nobody wants to speak due to the fact that everyone else can hear, and at times I was knocking elbows with the men either side of me. This really is the last thing you need after a night necking back Jennings Ales.

Take out the hard pillows, add some power to the showers, and allow me the dignity of a little privacy at breakfast and you have a five star hotel experience. But alas, until this is addressed, The George is only getting a four star from this reviewer.

1  Thank ste-n-vic
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Traveled as a couple, 20th August 2013 for 2 nights.
This is a really nice 300 year old pub with old wobbly floors etc, fanastic location in the middle of Keswick if you want the town, our room (number 6) was in need of re-decorating, is was well appointed but could do with a refurb. The bed was double, with Iron bed head and bottom rails which seemed to close the room in, Although it was clean and comfortable. The towels were thick and large. We got one of the very few carpark spaces (3 or 4) in the pub carpark, The only problem is if you loose it your stuffed, then you have to use public car parks with a £20.00 voucher from reception (refundable on its return). Lovely dinner on our first night, good breakfast on our first & second morning, all the staff were pleasent and helpfull.

Not-So-Good Things: a very shabby bathroom, quite out of keeping with the rest of room 6, needs a refurb, (generally clean enough to use, but not £100 a night standard), no hooks or rails in the bathroom or the room, not even for towels, on arrival the towels are on the bed. The biggest problem we found was the car parking, due to being a town centre pub.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

...and I ignored the famed cow pie in favour of mussels which, I have to say, were slightly disappointing. They were tiny. Many shells were cracked and broken so much so that I feared for my fillings. And the bread was minimal. Everyone likes to mop up a sauce so where was the bread? One small chunk was all that was provided.

The rest of the family enjoyed their food and the half portion of the cow pie looked really good and of course the ale was spot-on.

Next time - and there will be a next time - I'll pass on the mussels...

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family