“The Gorgeous George”

Ranked #69 of 173 Keswick B&B and Inns
Durham, United Kingdom
“The Gorgeous George”
Reviewed 18 March 2014

Having returned from a few days at The George Hotel in the heart of Keswick, I had to record a review. My wife and I were tempted by the mid-week offer of free dinner and were not disappointed. A traditional old pub with open fires, low beams making a lovely atmosphere. If you like your real ale there is a good choice while still catering for lager drinkers. The staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Our room was large and comfortable with t.v.tea/coffee, hair dryer and bath and shower. Our breakfasts were first class; choice of cereals and juices, yogurt and jams and a king size English Breakfast but also with a choice of kippers and poached egg and continental. all cooked to perfection. There is a good choice of evening meals with the normal fare plus their famous, huge 'cow pie' which could only be finished by the most hearty of eaters but they also serve half portions which I could not complete and I considered myself a 'good eater'.
There is parking space at the rear of the premises and if these are full permits are issued enabling visitors to park their vehicles in nearby public car parks. Overall, an excellent experience and I could not understand anyone staying anywhere else in Keswick mid-week for economy, comfort, friendliness and overall good standards.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blueboy0

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I stayed here for a night while up in Keswick and it was a really great place to stay. The staff were very welcoming and it was a great atmosphere to sit and have a drink. The food was really great too!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I recently stayed at the George for my stag trip to Keswick (yes we pushed the boat out?!). The hotel has a cosy feel and seemed clean, if a little tired and run down.

We didn't have dinner, but the breakfast was ok - small selection of cereals, fruit etc and 4/5 hot choices. I had the traditional breakfast on the first day which was not bad, although the poached eggs were solid in the middle, presumably due to being put onto very hot plates and left for a minute. I had kippers on the second day which weren't great, and again came with a solid poached egg.

£100 for a double B&B is a little steep I would say, but if having a location in the centre of Keswick is important to you than this could be a solid choice.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

Most places in Keswick are of a very high standard we have found ,but this was probably the best meal we have had to date,I had the farm house pie chicken and veg, and my husband had the cow pie,beef , really nice and very big, normally don't eat large amounts but as we were on a wk end break we thought what the hell and went for it,and to be honest when you are a walker you need it, any one that complains about the size is not doing enough,would recommend, staff very nice,clean comfy ,would go again and would tell friends to go,thanks for a nice night

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bozzie123
Lancashire
Reviewed 21 January 2014

My partner booked us in here to help celebrate my sixtieth birthday and he wanted to try the famous "cow pie". Managed to park behind the hotel, which was handy. Warm welcome as we booked in, but the member of staff who then manned the office for the rest of the evening could barely rouse himself to answer a question. The room (a family room) was huge, extremely warm as the weather was dire which is not unexpected for the Lake District, but the king size bed needed a new mattress as it was unsupportive and the springs twanged every time one of us moved. The lamps on the bedside table were very dusty, which was strange considering that the rest of the room was so clean. I had a poor night's sleep as I was disturbed by the street light directly outside the window - a blackout blind might be a good idea. The bathroom was also huge, but barely leg room to sit on the toilet and the grout in the tiles surrounding the bath/shower needed a good clean, which always puts me off! However the food was fantastic and the portions huge; I have never had such a large cooked breakfast. So, yes, I admit I'm pernickety, but it is not cheap to stay here and so I expect perfection for that money. I would visit again for the food, but wouldn't rush back to stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
accrington
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Just spent two nights here and everything was perfect, room nice and spacious bed very comfortable, the breakfast excellent and the evening meals very good choices and you get plenty never got round to having a dessert, always too full from main meal, and as for the staff well they cannot do enough for you lovely and friendly will definitely be going back, we highly recommend the George hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandraflood
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

My husband and I had a 2 night stay. Got lucky with a car parking place at the back of the pub.
Room very spacious and clean, comfy bed which is a must after a full day of walking.
Breakfast = excellent, keeps you going all day.
Evening meal - too many good choices. Had starter and main meal 1st night. Main meal and dessert on 2nd night. All excellent, portion sizes not for the faint hearted.
Would recommend and will go back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple