George Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
View Hotel
Lyzzick Hall Hotel(Under Skiddaw)
View Hotel
All reviewscow piethe pubhalf portionpiesgluten free menupulled porkgreat beerlimited parkinghuge portionsbooked a tablecoaching innfirst morninglovely mealmashfish and chipskipperschecking out
FilterAll languages
An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 23 September 2009

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 13 September 2009

I was surprised that the restaurant at The George Hotel didn't have its own entry in Keswick Restaurants, given that it's very popular with the floating population of visitors to the town.

The problem in Keswick is that at any time of year there are literally hundreds of people searching for somewhere to eat every evening. There are 11 pubs/hotels on or near Main Street and they all offer very similar menus. Regardless of the quality of their offering they are all crowded from soon after 6.00 to about 7.30. So why choose one rather than the other?

I can't claim to have eaten in every one of the 11, but of those I have all except The George serve you pre-prepared meals. All the people in the kitchen have to do is take the package out of the freezer, defrost it, heat it up and serve it. You don't have to wait long (so they can get more throughput) but whether the food's OK or terrible depends on where they buy it and how much they pay for it.

The George, on the other hand and unless I'm completely mistaken, cooks your food to order. It may take a bit longer, but you stand a much better chance of getting good quality ingredients cooked with some care and attention. I've eaten there three times in the last two months, each time with company, and I and my companions have been very happy with each visit.

The restaurant gets very busy (best to book), so it can be a bit noisy and lively. If you're not in the mood to enjoy that sort of evening maybe you'd do better somewhere else - or book for a bit later in the evening, say 8.30, when it will have quietened down. Even when they've been busy we haven't had any problem with the service.

Just to clarify: I'm talking here just about the pubs/hotels. There are many other eating places both English and ethnic and some of them are good too. I'm just saying that in my experience the restaurant at The George is the best among its direct competitors.

2  Thank Acripedes
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Me and my boyfriend have just arrived home from our first stay in Keswick. We stayed in the George hotel for 3 nights and absolutely loved it. It is a fantastic location (right in the heart of the town) with the main lake, Derwentwater, just a 5 min walk away. There's free parking to the rear of the hotel, but if it's full staff will give you a pass to park for free in the local public car parks (3 min walk away). The rooms were large and homely with tea and coffee facilities, hair drier, TV, lots of wardrobe and draw space and a large ensuite. Breakfast in the morning was delicious and we ate in the hotel restaurant for a night which was the best meal we had whilst there. Be warned, if ordering a cow pie order the half portion as it is huge and I still couldn't finish it. But it was truly the best pie I've ever had. One of the best things about the hotel were the staff. On every level they were great - so helpful and polite, and would take the time to chat to you. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Keswick, and I'm sure that we will be back.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TashaNorthants
Reviewed 18 April 2009

For a last minute easter break this year I decided to stay at The George in Keswick. I had stayed a couple of years earlier and was not hugely impressed, but due to a cancellation, unlike anywhere else, The George had a room for me.

I was made to feel welcome from the moment I walked in and there seemed to be a real buzz about the place. My room was clean, there was an excellent selection of ales, and they were kept beautifully. The menu was huge and the food was cooked with real care. The full sized George Cow Pie is a thing to stay here for. It is immense!

I talked to the staff about my last stay and I was informed that new management had taken over in the past year. I think this explained the difference in my two stays.

It was a pleasant surprise to find the George such a lovely place to stay. My only criticism is that during my stay the place got incredibly busy, but I suppose this merely reflects the popularity of a good pub!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank benguitar
Reviewed 8 November 2008

We made the mistake of re-visiting somewhere we'd been slightly disappointed with before only to find that it had gone even further downhill. The George is a warm, cosy and inviting place - unless you choose to eat there. When it becomes overpriced and lacking the quality you would expect for the price you pay. We had the worst sea bass ever - over cooked, over priced and bland. The lamb was little better. When we complained to the waitress she laughed. Hardly encouraging. Stay well clear!

4  Thank chrisSunderland