Ravenstone Manor Hotel(Bassenthwaite)
US$282
Hotels.com
US$166
US$162
The Borrowdale Gates Hotel(Grange-in-Borrowdale)
US$312
US$303
Travelocity
All reviewscow piethe pubhalf portionpiesgluten free menutender beefshortcrust pastrygreat beerlimited parkingmelt in the mouthbooked a tablemashcoaching innfor sunday lunchfirst morningfish and chipslovely atmosphere
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were recommended to the George Hotel by a couple we met on a walk. "You have to try their legendary pies", they said. I should stress that we ate in the bar area but were not resident in the hotel, so cannot comment on accommodation, etc.

I (the female of the couple) chose the half portion of cow pie and my husband went for a vegetarian option. The fact that you can choose a half a pie suggested these were going to be of gigantic proportions and I wasn't wrong - layer upon layer of tender beef encased in shortcrust pastry, served with chips (you can have mash instead) and seasonal vegetables. Delicious.

Be warned, you cannot order a full portion to share, so unless you have anything but an elephant sized appetite, then my advice is to stick with the half portion. P.S. I had a hearty appetite following a day's fell walking but watched men struggle to clear their plates having also ordered the half portion.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Group of 9 of us with an average age of 59 were asked to leave the pub by the barman. We’d simply popped in for a drink after our walk this afternoon and were told that the pub will not serve groups. This was our first pub stop after our walk, we were neither rowdy and the pub was pretty quiet. I’ve been in the pub on my own before and with friends as we visit Keswick regularly. We will not return. Terrible attitude, leaving us a bit bewildered! We have enjoyed great service in all of the other Keswick pubs visited. We wish we’d have had a chance to leave a pleasant review!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pyxisdee
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I had a roast beef lunch and my husband had the lamb. The meat was moist and tender, the mash was creamy and the roasts were melt in the mouth. The best part was the beef gravy, juicy, tasty and delicious. The staff were great, very very friendly. I would definitely recommend here for Sunday lunch. Looking forward to returning for the pie.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

Good quality food at a good price. Generous portion sizes, you need to book during peak holiday times. My husband managed the half a cow pie, not sure anyone could cope with a full cow pie! Kids meals for under 12s also generous.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 April 2018

This hotel in the centre of Keswick is an ideal base for walkers and people who wish to explore the Lake District. The hotel offers very comfortable and spacious rooms, a wide variety of real ales and lagers. Breakfast is included and evening meals can be booked in advance. The staff are very friendly helpful. There are only a handful of parking spaces on site but for a £20 returnable deposit you get a parking permit for one of two nearby public car parks.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple