“Beautiful find”

Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful find”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This was a real treat to find when staying in the Lake District. So unlike all the usual cafes in the area, we had to to drop in more than once during our stay as its just a lovely inspiring place to sit, eat gorgeous cake and ponder. Loved the unique and eclectic set out of the cafe but also the wonderful art, stories, gifts that you are surrounded by. There is nothing predictable about this place, we found the guy who served us to be fine, the quirky china that arrived at our table complete with lovely cake was a fabulous and different touch, Carrot Cake was lovely.You can tuck yourself away, and more importantly the coffee is spot on too, which is a rarity when out and about.

For me its a real gem, breath of fresh air, unusual and makes a great change from the norm when dropping into cafes in the Lakes. I would definitely reccommend this place, the only danger being that you may spend more than you intend once your in and start browsing the enchanting cards, gifts and art, we certainly did.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Anna B

Skipton, United Kingdom
“Permanent irritation”
Reviewed 10 July 2014 via mobile

What a crying shame, for all the keen eye to detail in creating a cosy, inviting and interesting space for a cafe and shop Temporary Measure is let down by some of the rudest service I have experienced. In any other town without the transient passing trade of tourism I'm sure this business would have failed by now.

Missing teabags and wayward forks are forgivable misdemeanours when a touch of humour and humility is included, surly reception and delivery however, behind a flimsy veil of 'shyness' is not acceptable. When paying money for food and drink at a mark up beyond that of a bakery or takeaway delicatessen I expect that I and my family will be treated as welcome customers, not as some hinderance to the preoccupied host. Even my initial comment to the member of staff about the lovely music playing was met with a groan of disdain rather than a friendly shared connection for a fondness of the same artist.

A decent (let's not get carried away here award winning baristas) coffee and a tasty bit of cake in a really lovely space would float most people's strange little boats. Delivered with average service (which would be an ambitious leap from the current level) and this cafe might be so successful they could afford to pay staff rather than recruit begrudging family members for free.

I won't be returning.

Visited June 2014
5 Thank Beatentracks
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Inspirational”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I just love calling in here when ever I visit Keswick, I find the artwork inspiring and now I have a small collection of my favourite rabbit! As if that isn't enough of a reason to visit, you must try the Mocha, especially whilst sitting on the green settee, it's to die for!

• Visited May 2014
Lancashire
“I am not a robot”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

And.. That's why I loved this place- ever get sick of Costabucks etc- giving your money to 'da man'?

Well this is like a wool shop that's been at the sherry- eclectic furniture with a homely feel- you never quite know what crockery your goodies will arrive on. Today some faded gold edged plates my nana would have loved. Great music- hot choc & coffee both great. Tea cake & lemon drizzle cake spot on. There is much to browse in the shop too.
I enjoyed my visit today, the last time and am sure I will again soon.

3 Thank Davescunningplan
Workington, United Kingdom
“Easy to pass by - look out for it!”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a little cafe nestling amongst an ad hoc shop with curios, gifts and craft supplies for sale. The surroundings are a mixture of retro items from days gone by, though the time period is hazy and does look as if someone from the 25th century made a collage of the 20th.
It has a very welcoming, soft, serene vibe in the shop and the staff make you feel like you've popped round for a cuppa. The menu is more cakes and tea than anything else but a really lovely place to stop on your way into town,
As mentioned in the title, this is so easy to walk past without noticing as it looks like a shop so you have to see the cafe sign to go in. Do give it a try, especially as the prices are possibly the cheapest in town for what looks like home-made and generously-sized cakes and treats.

PS Children very welcome!

• Visited May 2014