“Lovely place”
Review of Larry's Lodge

Larry's Lodge
Ranked #85 of 189 Keswick B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We have just returned home from a 2 night stay at Larry's Lodge. 2 adults, 1 teenager and a springer spaniel. The single room for our teenager was great as it had it's own bathroom and separate shower. The rooms were very clean & comfortable, with the usual hot drinks tray. (A must after a long walk on the fells). The room had enough space for our dog's bed without having to climb over her. The breakfasts were served hot, with lots of choice. The home-made bread is a must try. It's delicious!
This is the first dog friendly place we have stayed & we will definitely be back.
Sue & Dave were great hosts from the moment we arrived and made it feel like a home from home. Thanks for a lovely weekend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Larry40, Owner at Larry's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2016

Dear DeeM123

Thank you for your lovely review. We do look forward to greeting your once more to Larry's Lodge.
Kind Regards
Sue, Dave, Kyle and Theo

Reviewed 27 October 2013

One of the only b&b's that was the same standard as a hotel, everything good quality and very well presented. Enjoyed the stay thoroughly, will definitely recommend. Very welcoming, Dave and Sue would happily do anything to make our stay great. We have stayed in many places that are dog friendly and i can honestly say this was spotless. A hidden gem, go visit and find out how great it is.

Room Tip: Room 4, was great en suite, new bed, very comfortable
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I arrived at the guest house tired from a long day's cycle I had just completed on a 14-day charity ride from John O Groats to Lands End.
I only had one requirement - that I was able to access my first Open University tutorial for an hour using the wifi.

I was told in no uncertain terms that I was not welcone if I wanted to do that! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. When I tried to explain that I had my own account and it would cost her nothing, she shouted angrily, "I said No!" and slammed the door in my face.
Now, I don't know if she'd just had a bad day, did not like cyclists or just did not understand, but....

There is no excuse for bad manners, or in this case, downright rudeness.

I felt like a beggar at the door and not the valued guest that I should have been.

Fortunately the next place I tried could not have been more friendly and welcoming.
Of all the places I stayed on this journey, this was the only one who showed any animosity towards me.

I suggest she a: gens-up on wifi, b: takes a course in customer relations and c: gets some help with anger management.

Stayed: October 2013
7  Thank eternaltraveller69
Larry40, Owner at Larry's Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Thank you for taking the trouble to do a review.

Your rudeness and arrogance was only surpassed by the obsessive manner you conducted yourself on our doorstep.
Within seconds of your arrival on our doorstep, you started to dictate the terms of any stay with us. We tried to tell you that we did not have a room available and also that we were experiencing trouble with our WiFi while awaiting a replacement unit from BT. All to no avail. You continued as if I wasn't there. Again, I informed you we had no room, again you acted as if you had not heard me. I informed you I was going to close our front door as we were not able to help you. Then, I shut our front door, not slamming it as you have wrongly stated.

You are correct in what you say about there being no excuse for bad manners, or in this case, downright rudeness. Why did you act this way and then blame us?

Maybe you thought twice about how you conducted yourself on our doorstep before looking at the next B&B

Our "bad day" started with your bad manners and utter rudeness!

Reviewed 6 October 2013

From arrival to leaving Dave and Sue were amazing, so warm and welcoming their place is a home from home for you and your dogs. Rooms are spotless and comfortable and full of the homely touches. We and our pooches loved it. You get pet friendly places in the description but a lot fail to deliver, Sue And Dave take a bow, you deliver and we and our dogs cannot wait for our next visit

Vernon and Sara

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vernon E
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Very welcoming, friendly and helpful owners who make you feel at home, extremely dog friendly, fantastic service! The rooms are clean and the beds very comfortable, spotless en-suite. Free WIFI. We stayed for bed and breakfast over the weekend to go walking around DerwentWater with our two dogs and the location is brilliant, close to the town and lake and local parks/walks. Breakfast consisted of a selection of cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruits, toast, jams and fully cooked breakfast, all produce locally sourced. We would definately return and highly recommend staying at this lovely Bed and Breakfast, especially if you have dogs!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Stayed overnight with family and our fox terrier. A really friendly welcome. Nothing too much trouble. The breakfast was delicious, particularly the home-made bread which was amazing! The rooms were spotless and beds comfortable. Very competitive price. Would thoroughly recommend this B&B.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Larry's Lodge is an excellent B&B. From the warm welcome to the attention to detail ((HEAVY cotton bath robes are divine!!)) and FIRM comfy beds with home made patch worked cushions to prop yourself up on to watch TV if you don't fancy the evening entertainment of Keswick and... the home made bread & marmalade for breakfast: this place is great. If you want attention to detail then investigate the room and you will find blankets and even a hair dryer. Me I like I rough towel as my thinning fur gets a bit "frizzy" with the warm air machine but that's just me:))

If you are looking for somewhere to hang your head close to the town that's friendly, with super home cooked local food for breakfast and above all... ___!!QUIET!! ...___where you can even take a canine companion and still be assured of a warm welcome and great time.... then look no further.
If you don't have a dog of your own- but wish you did or a family yet and dont ((and are VERY glad of it)) I highly recommend you stay here: there is a calm relaxed energy about the place that makes it as much a home away from home as you could wish for.
I will be staying at Larry's place again I hope...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo