“A regrettable visit”

Ranked #28 of 156 Restaurants in Keswick
Cuisines: Pizza, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar Scene, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on a bustling pedestrian street in the heart of Keswick, close to the busy market square and shores of Lake Derwentwater, Cafe Bar 26 is a relaxed Mediterranean style cafe bistro by day and a vibrant wine and cocktail bar in the evening with a unique atmosphere. Feeling peckish? We serve brunch and tapas Tuesday - Saturday 9.00am - 4.00pm. We also serve great illy coffee, interesting wines, continental beers, cocktails and champagne all day long! Perfect after a day on the fells or simply a stroll around the shops. There is also open mic night every Wednesday from 9.00pm. We are closed Mondays.
Reviewed 8 September 2018

Apparently no main courses were available until the week after our visit, wish that was made clear before we went in.

So had to pick from small plates served between 10am – 4pm.

Tired the brie, apricot & cranberry relish, a complete waste of money, it was even a starter size portion. A small bar of bounty would have been 3 times bigger than what they called a small dish in here.

Don’t know why they are allowed to serve pittance & no proper food, they were better off serving no food than the tiny useless so called portion that turned up.

It was a very bad first impression, & I can’t say that I will ever waste my time gracing this place, it not worth it.

Only 1 mediocre real ale, despite 3 listed in the books, they not actually in the café at all. So why list them ?

The hot chocolate is about one third of a pint, if that, it was ok, but minimal like everything they do in here.

A glass of plain tap water comes in a jar that plants should be in, not what you serve people to drink out of.

This place is fancy, overpriced, rubbish & over hyped.

I would have easily gotten into an argument with them if it wasn’t for my companions not wanting to cause a scene.

I recommend nothing in here.

1  Thank sportybirmingham

Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

We pop in whenever we come up to the Lakes but this time they were offering small plates and what a delight. We ordered the Mexican chips, garlic mushrooms, squid and baked camembert. Everything was freshly made and delicious. The garlic mushrooms were not batter coated but finely sliced in a beautiful sauce. The squid was not rings of rubber but freshly prepared squid with a delightful dressing on the accompanying salad. We enjoyed all of it all very much. Compliments to the chef for not just serving up the same old grub and delighting our taste buds with something refreshingly new.

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Have lunched here on several occasions
The choice of tapas is varied and numerous all excellent and we are slowly getting through the menu
Staff and service excellent with a cheerful atmosphere throughout and a good bit of crack
Why doesn’t everywhere serve Fever Tree soda?? It’s better than any other
Highly recommend this jewel in Keswick don’t change anything except the menu from time to time
Tuna balls next time!!!!

Reviewed 2 September 2018

Visited Keswick yesterday and decided to have lunch in Cafe Bar 26 - great decision. Greeted by very friendly staff, lovely chilled atmosphere. We chose from the menu 3 tapas dishes, freshly cooked, piping hot and absolutely delicious. It is obvious the Chef’s passion for taste and presentation shines through. Worth visiting Keswick just to eat here.

1  Thank helen g
Reviewed 1 September 2018 via mobile

Just returned home from another visit to Cafe Bar 26. Coffee superb as ever! It is so important to know that coffee is consistently good whenever we visit!
I had Spanish meatballs today - served like taco snacks. Astonishingly good, with such a zingy, mouthwatering sauce! One helping was plenty but left me licking my lips all afternoon!
My wife had salmon - also delicious. Very nice indeed!
I can not recommend this restaurant highly enough! We have visited many times and it is always good!! We visit from 70 miles away too so I regret we can’t visit every day! I do hope we can visit again very soon!!

1  Thank NigelW332