“Perfect for a hungry and thirsty fell-walker”
Review of The Dog and Gun

The Dog and Gun
Ranked #21 of 141 Restaurants in Keswick
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed 22 May 2011

We were five fifty-something chaps who'd got had a great day on the fells, and got blown about a bit. We needed decent hearty food and few decent pints in a proper pub. That's exactly what we got at the D&G.
There a short list of choices for main courses, most of which are standard pub fare: chilli, lasagne, steak and ale pie etc. Over the course of two evenings, we had most of them and all were excellent and good value. It would be remiss not to mention the goulash, which is very large, tasty and comes with potatoes, dumpling and a baguette - just in case you need some extra carbs for the following day's exertions. Unusually, the chilli had chunks of beef rather than mince - there were very tender and favoursome.
I prefer pubs to have one beer that they keep well, rather than a large choice that they keep badly. Here, there were six or seven draft beers available, and we certainly tasted all of those and they were all in great ship. One of our party was until recently a professional Guinness drinker (honestly!) and gave it full marks here.
I should mention the atmosphere... Our visit was during the Keswick Mountaian Festival. Both evenings, the pub was full to bursting, and was loud and boisterous - but VERY friendly. That was what we were looking for, but might not suit everyone.

Reviewed 30 April 2011

I was in Keswick at lunchtime on the 24th of April when my wife and I decided to try the dog and gun for a bite to eat. I ordered the chilli con carne and my wife ordered the pork belly meal after confirming with the barman that there was little or no fat with this meal as she has never had it before. Both meals then arrived quite quickly.
The chilli was quite possibly the worst meal I have ever had, a bowl was placed in front of me with a brown watery liquid and possibly 3 or 4 large chunks of a unspecified meat along with a few desultry soggy red and green peppers and possibly some onions. The only saving grace was at least they managed to boil the rice properly. As to the pork belly the meat was nothing but fat with maybe a half inch of pork. As another poster here has pointed out we also should have taken note of how many empty tables there were inside the pub especially at lunchtime when we were in, I would not recommend eating in this establishment

5  Thank garryap17
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Ive Been a real ale drinker for many, many years. First time in Keswick and this place is listed in the CAMRA real ale guide. I had ignored all the other reviews as we weren't after a meal. However after ordering a pint for my partner and I and the sitting down to drink, the tables were dirty, the picture next to us had dried gravy all over it. Within 2 seconds of finishing my first pint the batman was over to pick up my glass... Extremely rude. This put an end to ordering more beer and I'm not sure whether this is a local way of saying 'go away' (replace with your own words). Steer clear. Beer was good but not worth the poor service or unfriendly and unclean atmosphere.

2  Thank Gary H
Reviewed 13 April 2011

The D&G was one of our favourite haunts in Keswick after a long day trotting in the hills. The title says it all really. We love the fact that it is dog friendly and sells treats and food for the pooches. The beer selection is good. However, we have noticed lately the bar staff seem really miserable?? We have also experienced them ignoring us "tourists" and serving the locals at the bar in preference. Hubby even commented that he would prefer to go somewhere else next time as he found the staff so surly. The food is just OK, so that really makes it a bit pricey. There is often a good mix of nationalities, and in general we have always ended up chatting amiably with other customers (usually about our lovely dogs!)

The one great thing is the pub quiz on Thurs. It has a great atmosphere.

1  Thank spanglything
Reviewed 7 April 2011

I have been visiting Keswick for over 20 years and the D&G was always a must visit, sadly it is now a must avoid, several changes of owners has not helped, but their is no excuse for poor customer service, " do you have any vinegar please?" was met with a curt NO

It's is run by English or Scottish staff who have no idea about serving on, needs some Eastern Europeans who understand what service is about.

The give away was that at 7pm on a dry warm evening there were 5 of about 11 tables empty, in times past you would have had to wait an hour to seat seven people our group, we ate had one drink and left, try the George around the corner if you want proper Lake land fare, overall best avoid the D&G

2  Thank BigfellaMidland