“hmmm goulash”

Ranked #44 of 155 Restaurants in Keswick
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Dinner
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Great pub with nice ales and the famous goulash. Well worth a visit.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,269)

Reviewed 14 August 2011

had the goulash which was not as good as last year, partner had beef penanng which he didn't rate at all. it was really quiet, most unusual to get a table at 8.30pm, but it was mid week? barman was a little prickly!

Reviewed 10 August 2011

I have been in the Dog and Gun on numerous occasions but never managed to find a table for food as it is always busy. Yesterday, it was strangely quiet and my luck was in as there were tables available.
I was with my wife and four year old daughter and both my wife and I had been waiting to try the Goulash for a while so we knew straight away what we wanted.
The first thing we noticed was there was no kids options on the menu and this was confirmed at the bar. We therefore had to share 2 meals between 3 and the staff were fine with this. I had the goulash and my wife had to share sausage and mash with our daughter. The goulash was a large portion but I was disappointed with the meal. It may be because of the hype but it was nothing special and certainly no better then our home cooked food. My wife had some of my goulash and agreed and also thought the sausage and mash was nothing to shout about either.
I feel that this bar is not aimed at families as there is no kids menu. I also heard the barman complaining to the barmaid that he had just poured 3 lemonades as everyone was with kids - it is the kids school holidays time!
I won't be back with the family and will stick to the Bank Tavern in future which is were I would have have gone it there were no tables available in the Dog and Gun.
I will continue to pop in for a pint after a day on the fells which I think is were this pub aims itself at.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

My family and I were on vacation from California and stayed in Keswick for three days as part of a two-week trip through Northern England. The host at our B&B (Number 10 - a great place) recommended The Dog and Gun and told us that its Hungarian Goulash was very popular. I loved that it was dog-friendly, so we gave it a try. We arrived around 6:30 p.m. and all of the tables were full and just about every one with a dog (plus their owners!). A very friendly group noticed that we were awkwardly looking for a table and told us that they would be vacating theirs, which was very helpful.

We ordered our drinks from the bar and grabbed menus and placed our dinner order. The food arrived promptly, but I was brought a Steak and Ale Pie instead of the Chicken and Leek Pie that I ordered. The server fixed the situation right away and was very apologetic. My son had the Goulash and my husband had the Lasagna. This being only my second time dining in a pub, I didn't have a lot to compare it to, but we all enjoyed our food. I thought the Chicken and Leek Pie was great and the Goulash was hearty and with just the right amount of spice. I had a local ale and it was cold and delicious.

I thought the room was warm and inviting and I loved watching all of the dogs. My one complaint is that the service could have been better, but that may just have been my inexperience with pub etiquette. Still, I can recommend it. I didn't experience any of the problems expressed in the previous negative reviews.

Reviewed 1 July 2011

The pub appears famous for its Hungarian goulash, and rightly so. The portions were enormous, however. There was a selection of about five good ales on tap, from breweries local and further afield.

If I had just come down from the fell and wanted a plate of restorative and well-cooked grub, a pint of good beer and a friendly atmosphere, I couldn't think of a better place than the Dog and Gun.

It is a very dog-friendly pub too.